What's new

Cross Country Move! Need advice.

It looks like the only precip. predicted is a rain/snow mix on the 13-14th. I can only get a projection to the 18th, but it's supposed to be in the mid 30's that day.
The main thing I would be concerned about is getting caught in a winter storm while out in the Salt Flats on I-80. With the way the land is out there, a blizzard would be bad news.
Speaking of that, I just looked at the weather for Wendover which is between SLC and Reno and it looks like they are expecting something there on the 18th. None of these storms looks too major especially with what you are accustomed to in Montana. It always gets warmer here when it snows.

It looks like the only precip. predicted is a rain/snow mix on the 13-14th. I can only get a projection to the 18th, but it's supposed to be in the mid 30's that day.
The main thing I would be concerned about is getting caught in a winter storm while out in the Salt Flats on I-80. With the way the land is out there, a blizzard would be bad news.
Speaking of that, I just looked at the weather for Wendover which is between SLC and Reno and it looks like they are expecting something there on the 18th. None of these storms looks too major especially with what you are accustomed to in Montana. It always gets warmer here when it snows.

Cool. Where, exactly, are the salt flats in relation to SLC, and how big are they? When I moved out here from Georgia last winter I came through South Dakota. I got caught in a blizzard there, and didn't have too much trouble. It slowed me down a lot and pissed me off, for sure, but I kept moving. I wonder if a salt flats blizzard would be worse than that?

They are West of SLC just outside of Magna directly on I-80. It's also called The West Desert. It looks to be about 80 miles From Magna to Wendover. Only part of that is the actual Salt Flats, but the rolling scrubland isn't much better for keeping bearings in a storm.

Hmm, well it looks like it's supposed to snow every day next week now....

Yeah, I just saw that. Not awesome. :glare:

I've been toying around with an alternate route, but I'm not sure we'll be able to pull it off time-wise. I was thinking of going from Denver down to Las Vegas, then north to see our friends in Tahoe/Reno. What sucks about that is that we would have to then back track and go back south through California.

You (or anyone else reading this) have any input on any of that?

Yeah, I just saw that. Not awesome. :glare:

I've been toying around with an alternate route, but I'm not sure we'll be able to pull it off time-wise. I was thinking of going from Denver down to Las Vegas, then north to see our friends in Tahoe/Reno. What sucks about that is that we would have to then back track and go back south through California.

You (or anyone else reading this) have any input on any of that?

I don't think it'll matter which way you go, it looks like you'll encounter snow along the way at some point if you're headed out toward that direction.

What's up, fellas!?! I just thought I'd let y'all know that I'm safely back in Georgia. I'm with family or a couple of days before cruising over to South Carolina. Thanks for all the advice in this thread. I'll get some pictures up when I finally get settled down in SC.

What's up, fellas!?! I just thought I'd let y'all know that I'm safely back in Georgia. I'm with family or a couple of days before cruising over to South Carolina. Thanks for all the advice in this thread. I'll get some pictures up when I finally get settled down in SC.

You're alive! Blake thought that maybe your family offed you! :w00t:

I think through Wyoming its just unpredictable. Lots of wind that stirs up stuff. I mean you might have ice on the roads, but I 80 is such a big trucking connector for the west that its always going to be plowed, etc. Nice about Utah for driving is that they salt the roads. Environmentally might not be the best, but does get them clear.

You have lived in Montana for a year, and YOUR concerned about snow and ice:)

Good luck, it sounds like an epic adventure.

Marty

BTW, live in SE Idaho, travel to Utah all the time...lots of friends, relatives etc in Utah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom