What's new

Cross Country Move! Need advice.

You're going West to head East? Why not keep driving West? If you go far enough you'll eventually hit South Carolina. :wink:

Maybe I'm more redneck than I thought! I really do have a soft spot in my heart for El Caminos. The early 70's SS is high on my list of desirable cars....er....trucks.....er, um....how do you classify those things again? :confused: :lol:

I like El Caminos, and would love to have one one day. My wife thinks they are the ugliest and dumbest vehicles ever made.

You're going West to head East? Why not keep driving West? If you go far enough you'll eventually hit South Carolina. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

You know, I considered that. The problem is all the added mileage. I just can't spring for the fuel costs to circumnavigate the earth in my little pickup.

Just out a curiosity, just how many days are you trying to cram this trip into? You realize how easy it is to plan an impossible trip this way?

- Chris

I'm starting to think he is going for some kind of world's record. Cover the most mileage, eat at the most BBQ & Mexican joints, seek the most parks in as few days as possible! (I think he is secretly planning to sell it to FX for a new reality TV show.)

Adam,

I used to drive from St. Louis to LA for school twice a year, so I've done the cross country trip in that area a few times.

I always took I-70 to I-15 through Vegas and into LA. There is a beautiful area of I-70/I-15 called Fish Lake that is great to drive through. I believe it's on the stretch of road where there are no services for 100 miles. Portions of Utah on I-70 are also beautiful.

One year I drove up to Yosemite and then across Route 50 ("The Loneliest Highway in America") to go east. It was pretty, but desolate, out there. As you drive along you see artifacts that were used for air bombing target practice.

I drove I-40 one time to get to Denver from LA, and it was nice but I like taking I-70 through the mountains because it's so pretty.

I did my cross country move from LA to Georgia. I took I-10 to I-20, and man was it terrible. The drive through Western Texas was just long and ugly. But honestly, it's your safest bet to avoid snow. I did it during the summer, and it was way too hot for that kind of long distance driving.

Best of luck. Enjoy the beautiful mountains.

Just out a curiosity, just how many days are you trying to cram this trip into? You realize how easy it is to plan an impossible trip this way?

- Chris

The plan is to leave Denver on the 18th (Monday) and end up in Atlanta on the 26th (Tuesday), so a little over a week. That is with no day of more than 11 hours drive time, which is doable. When I moved here from Georgia I made it in 6 days, and I was stuck in Iowa with my truck broken for 2 1/2 of those. I made it from Sioux City, IA to Billings, MT during a blizzard (literally) in about 1 day. We'll have to put the peddle down on this trip on some of our longer days that include stops, but I think we can make it happen. If not, I don't have to start my new job until Feb. 1, so we have a couple of days for cushion. I would prefer to spend those with my family in Georgia, though.

I'm starting to think he is going for some kind of world's record. Cover the most mileage, eat at the most BBQ & Mexican joints, seek the most parks in as few days as possible! (I think he is secretly planning to sell it to FX for a new reality TV show.)

Shush! Don't let that leak out! I hope I can chronicle all of this in a creative way, though, no kidding.

By the way, I still don't have any good input on some places to get authentic Mexican.......:glare:

Adam,

I used to drive from St. Louis to LA for school twice a year, so I've done the cross country trip in that area a few times.

I always took I-70 to I-15 through Vegas and into LA. There is a beautiful area of I-70/I-15 called Fish Lake that is great to drive through. I believe it's on the stretch of road where there are no services for 100 miles. Portions of Utah on I-70 are also beautiful.

One year I drove up to Yosemite and then across Route 50 ("The Loneliest Highway in America") to go east. It was pretty, but desolate, out there. As you drive along you see artifacts that were used for air bombing target practice.

I drove I-40 one time to get to Denver from LA, and it was nice but I like taking I-70 through the mountains because it's so pretty.

I did my cross country move from LA to Georgia. I took I-10 to I-20, and man was it terrible. The drive through Western Texas was just long and ugly. But honestly, it's your safest bet to avoid snow. I did it during the summer, and it was way too hot for that kind of long distance driving.

Best of luck. Enjoy the beautiful mountains.

Yeah, I'm leaning more toward the I-40 route. That seems to be the more efficient and scenic one for when we head east.

As far as mountain scenery goes, I can live without it this time of year. I'd rather not have to deal with snow than to have a pretty scene to look at. It looks like passing through Utah and the boarder of Nevada, Cali will be the most treacherous parts of the drive. Anyone know how to make snow not fall for a few days? :blush:

Ha! Funny posts on here. Bad thing is your truck is wore out and then some. Utah in the winter, without four wheel drive? Your balls are bigger than mine. I would be scared to drive that thing across town in that kind of weather. Anyway, good luck. Take all your tools. And gloves. And thermal underwear. And AAA.

Ha! Funny posts on here. Bad thing is your truck is wore out and then some. Utah in the winter, without four wheel drive? Your balls are bigger than mine. I would be scared to drive that thing across town in that kind of weather. Anyway, good luck. Take all your tools. And gloves. And thermal underwear. And AAA.

Yeah, yeah. I've been driving it all over Montana in that kind of weather for the past year. I've only had one close call, and that had nothing to do with the truck breaking on me. It just decided to spin around a little.

I actually checked prices to rent a Budget truck with a car hauler. It looks like that will be a cheap (relatively) option in case the Toyota decides to give up the Ghost on the way.

Hey! Don't try and pin this on me, Ray.

But, aren't we playing pin the tail on the Gollum?:001_huh:

As funny as that sounds, he's right. When I was in San Diego the best places for Mexican food were these little hole-in-the-wall joints where they barely spoke English. :drool:

It's my policy. I figure if the immigrants won't eat it, then it's not worth my time. It might be hard sometimes dealing with a waiter that doesn't understand English, but the food is always the best.

I actually checked prices to rent a Budget truck with a car hauler. It looks like that will be a cheap (relatively) option in case the Toyota decides to give up the Ghost on the way.

:lol::lol::lol: You can't get much more redneck that driving into National Parks in a Budget rental truck, lol.

But, we can pin a tail on a Gollum!

We can also pin an extra tail to a fox easily enough...

proxy.php

Top Bottom