What's new

Couldn’t Wait

DB33E0C4-B6E4-4C12-8D5A-150326F958B0.jpeg
All this talk about which shavette to purchase got me wanting to use the Feather.

The DE is an early ‘30’s Conrad design similar to the Barbasol Floating Head.

Nice set up there.

20190502_075400 (002).jpg

I've been using my Feather this week and it provides my closest shaves in the least amount of passes.

Very nice. Yes, Feather got it right!!

I took the blade out last night and lightly stropped it (5 laps). Oh boy, was I careful not to slice my fingers. I haven't used it since the stropping but will tonight. I was curious to see what, if anything, the stropping would do to the blade.

I took the blade out last night and lightly stropped it (5 laps). Oh boy, was I careful not to slice my fingers. I haven't used it since the stropping but will tonight. I was curious to see what, if anything, the stropping would do to the blade.
Please let me know!!:)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shaved with the Salamander again. Last night I did 100 x strokes on the Coticule. @Gamma made an interesting post saying that before he could obtain a sharp enough edge using a Coticule he went to chromium oxide. That may be an option I should explore.

Essentially, I made the razor work this working. I obtained a good shave. The edge was smooth, but I don't think it cut as well as when I use the MMTT Thuringian. Perhaps the razor needs to be rehoned. That's an option. One thing that I consistently hear from the more advanced here is that they experimented.

If a coticule off oil edge needs more sharpness pastes are just the ticket.

I enjoy participating in the Day Double thread and using my amassed collection. Today the SR was a 100 plus year old, probably Sheffield made, 9/16 barbers notch, genuine plastic bamboo scale John Holler/Tower brand, shoulderless aka full concave.

The DE is also a Sheffield made John Watt cutlery open comb "Gleaner".

Did 60 x's on the MMTT Thuringian followed by 25 linen and 50 horse. Two passes with the John Holler left little need from the Gleaner.
Gleaner.jpg

Sheraton.jpg
Well, the weekend is here. The mowing, bush hogging, weed eating is behind me. I am mellowing from a busy week from which I cannot remember what I did Monday. It is time again for the choosing of a shave tool for Saturday. More likely a choosing of a daily double.

I am choosing a 11/16 Theo Kochs Marcella and a late 1930's Sheraton.

Last edited:
The MMTT honed Theo Kochs 11/16 Marcella never fails to please and today was no exception. Did 60 dripping water x's followed by 25 linen and 60 horse strop laps.

Used did 60 x's on the Thuringian from Timber Tools last night followed by 25 linen and 60 horse. Since it is Micromatic Monday, I added a 1932 open comb for a XTG pass.

This pre 1892 McKinely Tariff Wade and Butch has a very smooth edge that is quite effective. The very thin bone scales have no cracks and I like the brass pins.
Gem wade.jpg

Last night I did 60 x's on the MMTT Thuringian followed by 25 linen and 60 Horse. I think if I used this razor everyday I would be amazed at how good it is, but only once a week is not realizing it's full potential.

136.jpg

Since this is my progress thread and I can say what I want about stones, I find it odd that so few seasoned honers do not advocate using the 3M films for new users, or for general razor edge preparation.

In the packet I bought there is a 30, 12, 9, 3, 1, .3, .5 sheet. Refer to the chart. What stone progression and how many stones would it take to replace a packet of films that range from 600 grit to 60,000 grit and do so for $25?

sandingGritMicronConversionChart.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Last night I did 60 x's on the MMTT Thuringian followed by 25 linen and 60 Horse. I think if I used this razor everyday I would be amazed at how good it is, but only once a week is not realizing it's full potential.

View attachment 978681

Since this is my progress thread and I can say what I want about stones, I find it odd that so few seasoned honers do not advocate using the 3M films for new users, or for general razor edge preparation.

In the packet I bought there is a 30, 12, 9, 3, 1, .3, .5 sheet. Refer to the chart. What stone progression and how many stones would it take to replace a packet of films that range from 600 grit to 60,000 grit and do so for $25?

View attachment 978680

I think a lot of seasoned honers have their biases, but doubt many believe films don't work.

I'm not a seasoned honer, but I've never used the films. When and if I become more seasoned, assuming I don't buy and use the films, I'm not know anything about the films except what I've read, so I won't be able to advise anyone to do something I really know nothing about. Maybe that explains part of the issue. Maybe not.

I like your chart. Thanks. Razor is beautiful!

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think a lot of seasoned honers have their biases, but doubt many believe films don't work.

I'm not a seasoned honer, but I've never used the films. When and if I become more seasoned, assuming I don't buy and use the films, I'm not know anything about the films except what I've read, so I won't be able to advise anyone to do something I really know nothing about. Maybe that explains part of the issue. Maybe not.

I like your chart. Thanks. Razor is beautiful!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you, Jim!:)

I started razors on films. Part of why was there is a pretty steep startup cost for straight shaving. Razor, strop, brush, soap, and honing equipment. The $25 on films and $8 per tile for some bull nose marble at Home Depot was a lot cheaper than even relatively inexpensive stones.

Now that I know I am here to stay, I am beginning to look at rocks. Films are a great training wheel, but my supply of some of the grades of film I use most is starting to dwindle. A second purchase of such a disposable abrasive is starting to make less sense. Since I am going to be doing this for a while, it is beginning to make more sense to drop the coin on a less disposable solution.

But, yeah, films are definitely where new straight shavers, or even experienced shavers who always had someone else hone, should get a start. Inexpensive, easy to learn, versatile, repeatable, what’s not to like?

I started razors on films. Part of why was there is a pretty steep startup cost for straight shaving. Razor, strop, brush, soap, and honing equipment. The $25 on films and $8 per tile for some bull nose marble at Home Depot was a lot cheaper than even relatively inexpensive stones.

Now that I know I am here to stay, I am beginning to look at rocks. Films are a great training wheel, but my supply of some of the grades of film I use most is starting to dwindle. A second purchase of such a disposable abrasive is starting to make less sense. Since I am going to be doing this for a while, it is beginning to make more sense to drop the coin on a less disposable solution.

But, yeah, films are definitely where new straight shavers, or even experienced shavers who always had someone else hone, should get a start. Inexpensive, easy to learn, versatile, repeatable, what’s not to like?

I can get by with minimal use of films and use my two stones for touch up. I’m not presently purchasing more razors as my collection is purposefully varies in width and grind.

That said, I am wondering what of stones could possibly duplicate the film progression that would not be cost prohibitive.

Also, imagine setting the bevel with a 600 grit stone. I’ve seen the damage done by 1000 grit. Films seem to be more easy on the metal.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Making the trick now finding the fewest stones which will do the job (and for a good price). There's always later (meaning more stones can be added).

Hints:
  1. Coticule 7x2 + either a Norton Translucent Ark or a Zulu Grey.
  2. Maybe a Double Convexed Ark from Jarrod. The smaller version at about $100 should work fine. Not that I've mastered the stone, but it seems to have serious potential.
I would expect Hints Numbered 3 - 300 to pour in.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Making the trick now finding the fewest stones which will do the job (and for a good price). There's always later (meaning more stones can be added).

Hints:
  1. Coticule 7x2 + either a Norton Translucent Ark or a Zulu Grey.
  2. Maybe a Double Convexed Ark from Jarrod. The smaller version at about $100 should work fine. Not that I've mastered the stone, but it seems to have serious potential.
I would expect Hints Numbered 3 - 300 to pour in.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Would you say you are achieving excellent shaves on those stones or are you resorting to other methods?

When I first started using a straight I knew nothing about film. No one was really talking about them.

I picked up a coti and was really happy with it. Tried to use as few stones as possible. It was only recently I picked up a jnat just to give my edge a little extra. Never used any pastes either with my coti.

Top Bottom