What's new

Coticule or Thuringian

Assuming the razor's edge has been property prepared and stropped daily, which would be better suited for routine maintenance - Coticule or Thuringian?

Also, assuming that the edge was properly maintained, would it ever need to be reworked with a 4k, or will the Coticule/Thuringian be able to keep it in proper working order indefinitely?

Both work fine. The difference I've found is that coticule leaves a much less aggressive feeling edge on my face. I can make minor gaffs with shaving with a coticule honed razor and have no problem, that if I was using a Thuri honed razor would have given me a little slice. The trade-off is that I find my Thuri finished razors give just a little bit closer shave. (Though both are great finishes and I bet I couldn't tell the difference if you shaved someone's face 1/2 with a coti razor and 1/2 with a thuri razor and asked me to determine which was which.)

I suspect the Coti would also be a little bit faster to maintain the edge than the Thuri, but that's speculation as I don't really count my passes when using them.

No, if you properly maintain the razor, the touch-up hone is all you'll likely ever need. Apparently if you use pastes you'll eventually need to rebevel, but I don't use pastes so I can't comment on that. Seraphim is the guy to ask about that.

A thuringian that is available readily right now like mueller or mst thuringians are suitable for finishing a razor, if you use a pasted strop afterwards.
It is like a 8.000 grit hone, and if slurried can be used to touch up edges in quite good condition.

An Esher would be a very nice stone, wich gives you perfect shaving edges (if the quality of the stone is fine)
but the price is double or quadruple the price of a mst or coticule ;)

A coticule is a very versatile item. On barts homepage you will find a tutorial how to maintain a razor with a coti only from bevelsetting to finishing.
You can finish a razor on a coti without pasting afterwards.
For regular touchups I would recommend a very thin slurry, and finishing on the naked coti.

So all of those are fine for touchups, as well as barber hones, a synthetic 8.000 or higher and so on...

Coticule i prefer as it can do it all the dges i get are the smoothest i ever had i don't need paste as it does'nt make any differance after my coticule. the shaves are as close as you will get and very comfortable. Bear in mind it can take a little practice.

For a long time I only used an NOS Thuringian from Kees, and it kept me going for many months. Then HAD struck.

I now have a coticule, Nakayama Kiita, and vintage Escher. And synthetics of course. If I were to keep only one for touch ups, it would be the coticule, no hesitation. Mine is very slow and gives a very forgiving, smooth edge. It is from the "La Nouvelle Veine."

I purchased the Thuri for $100. I would be willing to sell it for $100 if interested. It is not as high a grit as the vintage stones, but somewhere above 8K and less than the Kiita, or so I am told.

EDIT: Both the coticule and Thuringian can be used with slurry to work the edge a little more if needed. I have recently started to use the coticule to set bevels, but I do not know if that is possible with the Thuri. Either way, to answer your question, my limited experience leads me to believe that you can maintain a proper edge for a long long time with either of these stones. Indefinitely? I'm way too new at this to answer that.

jeff

Last edited:
Top Bottom