What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

This came from Ryan?

On Ryans blog describing the find..

The photo directly under the header. there are two rows of six stones, flanked by some singles. This stone is in the top row, furthest to the right... before the blushing single..

Reactions: Wid
I've never had to do this before..

I'd like to seal what's left of the label to the BBW. What is the clearest and most protective material. I have polyurethane spar varnish here.. I've used it on my JNats.

Wooooaaah... hold on a sec there B! I will categorically disown you as an internet friend if you seal that label over the top of a lovely bit of naturally bonded BBW ;).

One of the world's great sharpening stones...

Steam it off and keep in a baggie.

I've got more BBW here than I know what to do with, Oli..:001_rolle

Oh alright then, if you're quite sure... clear acrylic spray lacquer is what you want for sealing a label. Something like this:

IMG-0473.JPG

Wooooaaah... hold on a sec there B! I will categorically disown you as an internet friend if you seal that label over the top of a lovely bit of naturally bonded BBW ;).

One of the world's great sharpening stones...

Steam it off and keep in a baggie.
I run a knife across my wine colored one last night it's amazing at how much faster and finer it is than the yellow side(leaves micro serrations too). It's my only one like that and every time I use it I think of you ranting about them being of highest quality natural stones and the best polisher out of Europe! (Wildly exaggerated by me of course). Every time I get a good little chuckle. I've got one on the way that I have a feeling will have a similar quality bbw. Good ones are insanely good, kinda like coticule.

Well I have some work to do. The pic on the box is after a good scrubbing and cleaning with soap & water along with simple green and a toothbrush. I don’t think it is oil either. I think it is 100 + years of swarf. There is a layer stuck on the side and some in the box. No smell at all though. Size look and feel says old rock.

F02D6333-47AD-48A9-A66C-427B870BD752.jpeg
A1291C3C-7BD7-4091-B5C8-58E98847A14F.jpeg
1437A0FE-6E48-477B-9E03-56E4323E7487.jpeg
86D2FD70-73B6-4A65-B599-F0E4926160C4.jpeg

Well I have some work to do. The pic on the box is after a good scrubbing and cleaning with soap & water along with simple green and a toothbrush. I don’t think it is oil either. I think it is 100 + years of swarf. There is a layer stuck on the side and some in the box. No smell at all though. Size look and feel says old rock.

View attachment 1509704View attachment 1509705
I've thought I was breaking off stone while scrubbing 150+ yo swarf off with a steel brush. That looks like a REALLY good one. I've noticed that I lean on my coticules/ bbws a lot more with the new tools/ blades I buy because those hard *** garnets are about the only thing I got that cuts these new mutant steels with blowing my shoulder for a week. If it isn't diamonds, garnets will cut it. Diamond plate slurry helps too. Those diamonds chew up the garnets and make them more aggressive.

I've thought I was breaking off stone while scrubbing 150+ yo swarf off with a steel brush. That looks like a REALLY good one. I've noticed that I lean on my coticules/ bbws a lot more with the new tools/ blades I buy because those hard *** garnets are about the only thing I got that cuts these new mutant steels with blowing my shoulder for a week. If it isn't diamonds, garnets will cut it. Diamond plate slurry helps too. Those diamonds chew up the garnets and make them more aggressive.
Yeah I had to get out an aggressive low grit sanding sponge to get through that stuff. It just gums up a diamond plate and the plate gets the black stuff stuck to it. I don’t know what that stuff was. I chipped it out of the box with a screwdriver. I am wondering if it wasn’t the original label that absorbed all that swarf and deteriorated into a thick almost hard paste. I have had similar on the side of labeled stones and the side part was just like this.
I would not use DN slurry from a Coticule on a razor though. As you say makes them more aggressive as in not a smooth Coti edge.
Well I got the gunk off with a lot of hard scrubbing and effort. Shows a nice pink blush under there and looks very promising. Now to lap flat. It is a hard one though.

99E241C0-9771-487A-A09A-7056C61D6A91.jpeg
52BACC0C-5BAB-46B7-B854-A924CFFA2510.jpeg

Yeah I had to get out an aggressive low grit sanding sponge to get through that stuff. It just gums up a diamond plate and the plate gets the black stuff stuck to it. I don’t know what that stuff was. I chipped it out of the box with a screwdriver. I am wondering if it wasn’t the original label that absorbed all that swarf and deteriorated into a thick almost hard paste. I have had similar on the side of labeled stones and the side part was just like this.
I would not use DN slurry from a Coticule on a razor though. As you say makes them more aggressive as in not a smooth Coti edge.
Well I got the gunk off with a lot of hard scrubbing and effort. Shows a nice pink blush under there and looks very promising. Now to lap flat. It is a hard one though.

View attachment 1509772View attachment 1509773
A dull(ish) chisel works well too for non porous stones. Amazing stone. Each time I use one I gain a new appreciation for *old* coticules.

I run a knife across my wine colored one last night it's amazing at how much faster and finer it is than the yellow side(leaves micro serrations too). It's my only one like that and every time I use it I think of you ranting about them being of highest quality natural stones and the best polisher out of Europe! (Wildly exaggerated by me of course). Every time I get a good little chuckle. I've got one on the way that I have a feeling will have a similar quality bbw. Good ones are insanely good, kinda like coticule.

Haha... quite right! A decent coticule is an excellent stone indeed, but good Belgian Blue rises to true greatness.

---

Good looking stone @rideon66. Nice thick BBW layer uncontaminated by any annoying labels ;).

After hours of pointless suffering I had to give in and go outside and use Sic powder on this beast. Still took about an hour and 45 minutes to get flat. It eat the W/D and wasn't really budging on the Atoma much. The dip I had to get out was in the blushing layer though so it blushes more now. Love these old ones like this.
F566A96A-C756-4C8D-A83C-ACB8CF34225C.jpeg
56D3C85D-6E74-4EE9-9AFF-CB9824294AAB.jpeg
FAD6A307-F28D-43B3-A79C-D5B4D11A434B.jpeg

Top Bottom