What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here’s one you don’t see every day. 7 inch boxed Lorraine.
99B6A18E-2944-496D-B3D0-D7632599D469.jpeg
6A8E17C6-3940-4D6F-A059-84E6F2B440FE.jpeg

My problem is that I have stones stashed all over the place!

I recently rame across this one that I had forgotten about. I couldn't make out all of the logo on the box. The only thing I could make out, with the aid of a loupe, is "Choice Razor Hone." I have seen these boxes around before, but couldn't find anything in a timely manner, so I sent a note with photo to a recognized expert.. Peter Buhlmann (Hatzicho,) in Germany.
He replied with a very kind note, and a wealth of information. He said it was an S.R, Droescher box, and the center of the logo, which I could not make out, had a stylized SRD. He also told me that this was Old Rock from the Gustave Jacques era, and that the wildly wavy transition was indicative of that.
So, I'm happy to have rediscovered this coticule, and will soon put it through it's paces..

My thanks to Peter for so readily sharing his extensive knowledge. He is a gift to the straight razor/stone community!

The SRD Old Rock ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

My problem is that I have stones stashed all over the place!

I recently rame across this one that I had forgotten about. I couldn't make out all of the logo on the box. The only thing I could make out, with the aid of a loupe, is "Choice Razor Hone." I have seen these boxes around before, but couldn't find anything in a timely manner, so I sent a note with photo to a recognized expert.. Peter Buhlmann (Hatzicho,) in Germany.
He replied with a very kind note, and a wealth of information. He said it was an S.R, Droescher box, and the center of the logo, which I could not make out, had a stylized SRD. He also told me that this was Old Rock from the Gustave Jacques era, and that the wildly wavy transition was indicative of that.
So, I'm happy to have rediscovered this coticule, and will soon put it through it's paces..

My thanks to Peter for so readily sharing his extensive knowledge. He is a gift to the straight razor/stone community!

The SRD Old Rock ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful coti

Believe it or not I’ve had 4 thuris now with those gold inclusions. One was a labeled Fox and the inclusions were deep in the stone but visible from the side. My go to thuri is full of them but they aren’t close to the surface.

Pyrite is a funny one. I’ve had a few various stones with it, and then researched about it a bit...

The range of hardness that it can occupy mirrors very closely that of hardened steels. Which means until you use a stone it’s basically going to be impossible to tell whether a pyrite inclusion will be toxic. And it’s also perfectly possible that it could be an issue on some steels but not on others.

(Whereas something like a sizeable quartz inclusion is always gonna be tricky whatever way you spin it).

I think this one would be the latter. I don’t assign grit to naturals but this one is more in line with a yellow coticule as far as finishing goes. This type of stone (from my experience) usually has layering in the sides as you can see from my last photo. It’s definitely not the same as normal BBW View attachment 1504825View attachment 1504826View attachment 1504827
My La Lorraine has patterning and the layered sides as well…certainly not normal BBW! The edges off of it are SUPERB…as a matter of fact…I will finish something on it later this week since the edges are sooo sharp yet face friendly!

Thanks for posting David…reminded me of this big old gem!

7768878F-5FE3-4506-8C01-61BEC29991DC.jpeg
E4FB4BFE-812E-40CE-9837-C19612DD4AFB.jpeg
40730ABF-3F77-4B64-BFBC-BAA495E73239.jpeg

So, the stone from the Pennsylvania Coticule Cache has arrived. Very similar to Gary's two coticules. Prominent manganese lines portends a fast stone, and initial tests confirm. I get steel coloring the water within five strokes on plain water only.
A pretty stone..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This came from Ryan?

I've never had to do this before..

I'd like to seal what's left of the label to the BBW. What is the clearest and most protective material. I have polyurethane spar varnish here.. I've used it on my JNats.

Top Bottom