What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I find this one very interesting to me. As I have a very old bout rustique from Germany. The old guy I got it from had if for many years and he thought it was from at least the 1920's based on where he got it. I have always been curious because I never see any other layers with that silver tint to it. This is very close to mine. Only yours seems to have a little more of the BBW look to it. Not sure where the French baker gets his stuff, but some does seem vintage and old so this maybe an older layer. I think he also collected for many years.

View attachment 1114834

Yeah the silver look comes probably from the existence of a specific amount of BBW....the purple/red thins out and the yellowish turns more into a grey or blueish grey

DSC09674.JPG
DSC09667.JPG
DSC09665.JPG

DSC09669.JPG

Very nice looking stone. Is it very hard or will it self slurry? I've had a couple look-a-likes that were either or, either they were too hard to slurry or soft enough to slurry. Either way, love that size!

I use it with water only after the 8 k or 10 k super stone with water . I kind of gave up on the whole-dilution slurry to water as the results I get are super smooth and keen soft edge .

just fir curiosity I used slurry just to see how fast the coticule was and I can definitely say this one takes a bit of rubbing to generate slurry .

I love the edges this coticule creates and the more strokes I do on water it just gets smoother.

Having shaved of a maxed out 8 k super stone edge which by the way is in my experience a nice edge. Then I finished on this coticule with water and the edge was definitely soft and smooth I did not think it could improve the 10 k super stone edge but it did and the feel was so much nicer after the coticule.

I stumbled across dr Matt video where he gently kills the edge and brings that edge back on 8 k then hones under running water with a coticule.

I did not hone under running water and all I can say it was and the outcomes was a perfectly smooth coticule edge that was not lacking any keenness which is the main issue when practicing dilucot .

Very nice looking stone. Is it very hard or will it self slurry? I've had a couple look-a-likes that were either or, either they were too hard to slurry or soft enough to slurry. Either way, love that size!

I use it with water only after the 8 k or 10 k super stone with water . I kind of gave up on the whole-dilution slurry to water as the results I get are super smooth and keen soft edge .

just fir curiosity I used slurry just to see how fast the coticule was and I can definitely say this one takes a bit of rubbing to generate slurry .

I love the edges this coticule creates and the more strokes I do on water it just gets smoother.

Having shaved of a maxed out 8 k super stone edge which by the way is in my experience a nice edge. Then I finished on this coticule with water and the edge was definitely soft and smooth I did not think it could improve the 10 k super stone edge but it did and the feel was so much nicer after the coticule.

I stumbled across dr Matt video where he gently kills the edge and brings that edge back on 8 k then hones under running water with a coticule.

I did not hone under running water and all I can say it was and the outcomes was a perfectly smooth coticule edge that was not lacking any keenness which is the main issue when practicing dilucot .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 31
I will post my new Coti when it comes, purchased from Ardennes. But this is the bout I’ve been using since I started. No known vein, from TSS. Water only after my 8k, no auto slurry, wonderful edges.

Attachments

• 752F0C41-8250-4561-8714-9B3277E6C7B9.jpeg
    752F0C41-8250-4561-8714-9B3277E6C7B9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I've never posted photos of this stone, or a few others, on any of the boards.
I came across this stone quite by accident. I'm journeying through all the coticules, at the moment for re-evaluation. I've done this before, but I tend to forget. I did recall though, that this was a good one.
The gent I got it from thought it a La Dressante au Bleu... Being a vintage stone, I suppose it's possible, but I also realize that I will never truly know. And perhaps, that's as it should be!
I honed today's Mitsuon on it. Good coticules never cease to amaze me. They can produce an amazingly keen, but very soft and buttery edge... and this example does that. It takes no baxkseat to my prized La Veinnettes in any department. No sting whatsoever, even after an alum block. For me, that's quite unusual.
At 7' x 1 3/4, it's perfect for handheld honing, which I favor.

I may not know what it is, but I know it will never leave me..

proxy.php

proxy.php

BTW, the other yellow and blue stone could become available in B/S/T.... Just kidding!

I've never posted photos of this stone, or a few others, on any of the boards.
I came across this stone quite by accident. I'm journeying through all the coticules, at the moment for re-evaluation. I've done this before, but I tend to forget. I did recall though, that this was a good one.
The gent I got it from thought it a La Dressante au Bleu... Being a vintage stone, I suppose it's possible, but I also realize that I will never truly know. And perhaps, that's as it should be!
I honed today's Mitsuon on it. Good coticules never cease to amaze me. They can produce an amazingly keen, but very soft and buttery edge... and this example does that. It takes no baxkseat to my prized La Veinnettes in any department. No sting whatsoever, even after an alum block. For me, that's quite unusual.
At 7' x 1 3/4, it's perfect for handheld honing, which I favor.

I may not know what it is, but I know it will never leave me..

proxy.php

proxy.php

BTW, the other yellow and blue stone could become available in B/S/T.... Just kidding!
Very nice!

Guys, new to Coticules and veins, according to the mine I have a La Grosse Jaune. I have honed on it a few times and palm finished under running water. My results are not as stellar as I hoped, but I don't think its me. Any other tips or tricks to max out these stones?

Also, I see alot of these stones that look alot harder and older and way different than mine. Are there some veins or stones that I should be looking out for that are guaranteed capable of finishing?

0516201723a.jpg

Top Bottom