What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

My prettiest coti at the moment is my Old Hickory Hone. I overpaid a crazy price (at the time) for it on eBay about 8 months ago... if I sold it today, I'd make a big profit. (The price on boxed vintage (Pike/Old Rock/Etc) coticules has gone insane. A 6x2" sold for close to 200$ a few weeks ago.)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes that's the price tag and it cost $0.78 new.

Last edited:
Wow... that one has a lot of personality. I like it.

I should have added a side view... the blue/black spots which I think are what people refer to as "nails", are actually orbs as far as I can tell. They exist as circular spots on the sides as well. Really interesting rock.

I should have added a side view... the blue/black spots which I think are what people refer to as "nails", are actually orbs as far as I can tell. They exist as circular spots on the sides as well. Really interesting rock.

Those spots indicate it is La Petite Blanche? Or do the vintage stones pre-date that vein naming system?

The veins probably were named, but I'm unaware of any record of them. I believe I (and probably many others) asked Bart about vintage stones in the past and his response was to my knowledge that there were too many mines, too many veins, and too few records to have much of a chance at Identifying veins on vintage stones. The only vague reference I've seen was some old document I may have dreamed that mentioned coticules showing these spots to be known by a name that had something to do with nails... (edit: google fu shows that Ardennes is/was digging the vein I'm thinking of and it's called: La Veine aux Clous or "The Vein with Nails") that's why I think they're refered to as nails. I have no idea if this stone is or isn't from that vein.

edit: Doubt it's the same layer, as Barts tests on his two La Veine aux Clous seem to suggest that the vein is very slow on slurry... this stone works fine on slurry. His stones also are a lot less/smaller spotted than this one. The "Nails" appear to be very tiny black pinpoint marks. This stone obviously has much bigger spots and the color of the stone itself is all wrong. This one is yellowish, the La Veine in the Vault look a light blueish gray.

Last edited:
La Veine aux Clous is different and looks different. You would not see hones made from this layer. See http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/548.html. It is only really possible to definitely identify stones from the mine Ardennes-Coticule currently exploits.

Those spots on the stone are found in different varieties and are found in many veins. They are not a good first indicator of the vein origin.

I wonder how much my 175mm x 40mm Pike natural combo (very thick coticule layer) in a wooden box would be worth these days. Although, I'm never selling it, so that's not really an important question anyway.

La Veine aux Clous is different and looks different. You would not see hones made from this layer. See http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/548.html. It is only really possible to definitely identify stones from the mine Ardennes-Coticule currently exploits.

Those spots on the stone are found in different varieties and are found in many veins. They are not a good first indicator of the vein origin.

I wonder how much my 175mm x 40mm Pike natural combo (very thick coticule layer) in a wooden box would be worth these days. Although, I'm never selling it, so that's not really an important question anyway.

$2.50 above whatever my highest bid is. :001_rolle

My prettiest coti at the moment is my Old Hickory Hone. I overpaid a crazy price (at the time) for it on eBay about 8 months ago... if I sold it today, I'd make a big profit. (The price on boxed vintage (Pike/Old Rock/Etc) coticules has gone insane. A 6x2" sold for close to 200$ a few weeks ago.)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes that's the price tag and it cost $0.78 new.

That's a beautiful rock Ian!

whoo hoo :thumbup: My VERY well wrapped La Dressante natural combo and slurry stone that I purchased from Jarrod arrived today. :001_tt1:

Well, I guess that La Grise is the cut of the month. Of course, this is after I receive the one that I specially ordered from Ardennes. I could have waited a bit and saved on shipping!

Top Bottom