What's new

Corking blades

Sounds kinda like breaking in new speakers for a guitar cab. Playing music or white noise in a loop (or low voltage signal from a variac) through them to loosen them up for better tone, quicker. I can dig it. :thumbup1:

hey guys sorry to revive this thread but i found a video on youtube. Someone mentioned earlier about stroping the blade on your thumb and it was kind of dismissed on the grounds that inexperience could leave you staring at your thumb on the bathroom floor. However here is a link to the vid i found and apologies if its already been posted, some comments are interesting to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc

Also this little DE strop was interesting although you guys have probably seen something similar before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2cs-pzJJE&NR=1

Last edited:
i agree with monkey, this is extreme and unneeded IMO. Try Polsilvers. I will never cork a blade. This was interesting to read though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I enjoy 'Shaving with the SC Sharks'
proxy.php
, but happen to cork these blades 3 times on each side which I feel 'removes' any burs and/or rough spots and gives me a '2nd shave' smoothness on the first shave. :thumbsup:

These past eight (8), Threads and Posted Replies in regard to blade 'corking'. may be of some interest tp you.

Corking Blades - 2

Corking Blades - 3

What is your corking technique?

Corking?

Can someone explain what "corking" a blade means?

Besides Corking?

Blade Corking

:straight: "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous ast

I used a real cork and a Lord blade that made me look like a blood donor the first time I tried. I gently pulled the blade towards me through the cork, then pushed away, repeating the steps for the other side of the blade. I just shaved with it for the first time post-corking about 10 minutes ago, and I was rewarded with the first BBS shave since I was 15 years old shaving away scraggly quasi-beard hairs. Great idea, I'm glad I red this!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thought I will give this a whirl and see if it makes difference on a couple of blades that usually do not start off that well but get better as the number 2 &3 shave occurs. After reading the entire tread and having a few laughs along the way it seems like there more positive posts on the subject than negative. Feather lovers might be interested in this thread because most of the gents are feather blade users and have found one swipe through the edge of a cork smoothed out the blade and longevity was not that affected to the shave and some Derby blade users also found it helped to make a better shave. Its well known the first shave can be a little rough and then the blade tends to smooth out because of micro edges or from the sputtering coating process, who know until you give it a try!

Ron R

Well yesterday I had a shave with a Polsilver SI and I thought it was a little rough for its first shave 2 1/2 passes and decided to look into another way of smoothing that first shave out so I came across a article on corking and stropping. Corking was more of interest to me because stropping a DE blade was fruitless for me in prior attempts.
So to make it a reasonable experiment I used identical equipment and soap and preshave as the yesterday with a new Polsilver .
Todays shave was identical as yesterdays shave with same equipment and procedures with a new Polsilver from the same tuck and the shave 2 1/2 passes was a DFS with no cuts or weepers and more enjoyable.
Conclusion: I think for certain blades that are a little rough out on the first shave it does make sense to give the blade a gentle pass on the edge of a cork 1 or 2 times to give a nicer smoother shave on the break in of a blade if that is what you desire. All I did was slice into the bottom edge of the cork just above the bevel of the blade with 2 gentle passes on each edge that took about less than 10 seconds and done with that blade until binned. I think it evens out the excess sputtering machine coatings and straightens those little micro edges of the blade possibly.
This corking should not be used on GSB or Voskhod blades that are coated with soft Teflon because you will wipe it off the blade, I do not have problems with GSB or Voskhod blades with first shave anyways. So does corking smooth the 1st shave on a blade YES in a little way to mimic a 1st shave blade. How long will the blade last? I usually get 6 to 7 shaves with a Polsilver SI so the experiment continues in my little shaving world.

I know this is an old thread, I’m also only been using safety razors for like 7 months, but I think if you have to cork the blade, you are using the wrong blade.

Ron R

I know this is an old thread, I’m also only been using safety razors for like 7 months, but I think if you have to cork the blade, you are using the wrong blade.
Have you tried corking? On certain blades there is merit and that is not to say its the wrong blade its not the desired start of the shave I would prefer so people cork their blade. I corked my Polsilver SI and I.m still getting 6-8 shaves like I did before with a nice smooth start(tomorrow is my six shave its still going strong.) That is what makes DE shaving interesting there is so many ideas and different style razors that a person does not have to get bored trying out these ideas. I was reading a thread Razorock SLOC with a twist..... about some of the guys making a Frankenrazor out of interchanging parts of different razors to make some weird combinations of a new razor.(there having fun I think:yikes:.)

Have you tried corking? On certain blades there is merit and that is not to say its the wrong blade its not the desired start of the shave I would prefer so people cork their blade. I corked my Polsilver SI and I.m still getting 6-8 shaves like I did before with a nice smooth start(tomorrow is my six shave its still going strong.) That is what makes DE shaving interesting there is so many ideas and different style razors that a person does not have to get bored trying out these ideas. I was reading a thread Razorock SLOC with a twist..... about some of the guys making a Frankenrazor out of interchanging parts of different razors to make some weird combinations of a new razor.(there having fun I think:yikes:.)
I tried it, but I prefer the blade either way. It just seems like something dangerous that I don’t recommend doing. And if some blades were rough I would try smoother blades and give or trade the other ones. I tried it on the injector personna and it was to much work to put it back on the loader to put it on the injector without ruining it. Yeah the shave was better, but not worth the effort. I read my previous comment and it comes of as ”something”, that wasn’t my intention. Those guys are definitely having fun with that SLOC razor.

I read about corking before I even started DE shaving. For what it's worth, I have NEVER experienced a "rough" first shave from any of the ~15 blade brands I've tried despite people saying some blades do that and smooth out by the next shave.

Corking takes me all of 5 seconds so I'll stick to the ritual. Anyone who has worked with manufacturing at all knows that products usually pick up some grit on them prior to packaging so it makes sense to me.

Wow, this thread just wont die. I recall reading it way back when I started wet shaving back in 2008.

In any event, I also tried out corking. That I do not recall the last time Ive done it I suppose is testimony to my results. That said, I do still palm strop my blades from time to time, especially if they are getting on in use.

Ron R

Wow, this thread just wont die. I recall reading it way back when I started wet shaving back in 2008.
To me those opinions are just as good as today both positive and negative because it was a large audience of shavers who were looking for a easy fix to a comfortable shave with sharp or blades that were rough out on the first shave.:a8:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can understand pulling a trick like this out of the box, if you're down to your last blade, the shops are shut, and that last blade is scratchy straight out of the wrapper - but how many here have no other blades stashed away?

If I were to pull a blade that wasn't shave ready, I'd just ditch it. I have plenty of others. If I got this repeating with any brand, it would be the last of their blades that I'd ever buy, and there'd be a carefully worded letter being sent.

Why the heck should I be left to finish a blade? I feel the same way about blades that only work well in certain razors too. They should come shave ready, and work in any razor. I don't consider that to be a big ask.

Top Bottom