What's new

Corking blades

.. I recognize that our missives often lack in some precision of language, but..

Sorry if my last post sounded patronizing, it wasn't my intention to instruct, merely to state what the word "detractor" means to me and to suggest a more acceptable term.
John.

Sorry if my last post sounded patronizing, it wasn't my intention to instruct, merely to state what the word "detractor" means to me and to suggest a more acceptable term.
John.
You guys in the UK are insufferable! You'd think you invented English or something!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I had corked the last couple of blades without being very sure I noticed anything, but this morning I got a big surprise. I moved a Feather with one or two shaves on it (I forget) from my Fat Boy to my '56 Super Speed. Before putting it in the SS, I pulled it once only per edge through a wine cork, then went on with my shave. I got the smoothest shave I ever had! I seriously checked to make sure I had put the blade in the razor. I didn't feel anything until I got to my ATG pass (after one WTG and two XTG in opposite directions). Incredibly smooth. Not BBS (which I wasn't really trying for this morning), but super comfortable.

I wish there was a reasonable way to cork injector blades . . .

John.

I like sceptic better than detractor, while I prefer skeptic as it does not appear as close to septic. Anyhow, it is amusing that this thread could raise such a spirited interchange. I wonder if I will pull my next blade (uncorked for comparison) after one shave and cork it? Now there is the proof I seek.:ihih:

Thanks for being so understanding guys, I really didn't mean it the way it sounded, I hope you can forgive my unintended blunder.
John.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I like sceptic better than detractor, while I prefer skeptic as it does not appear as close to septic. Anyhow, it is amusing that this thread could raise such a spirited interchange. I wonder if I will pull my next blade (uncorked for comparison) after one shave and cork it? Now there is the proof I seek.:ihih:

I have two identical 40's SS razors. I think I'll load one with a corked blade and one with an uncorked blade. Then shave each half of my face with opposing razors and see how much difference I feel.

The only problem right now is the other razor is at my cottage two hours away. Maybe I could borrow my son's slim adjustable, but I really prefer to do all my testing with a 40's SS to have a consistant base for comparison.

One thing I know for sure, corking has not negatively affected my shaves in any way.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
On some of the Gillette blades I bought in Malta and Croatia there is some bold type on the wrapper that says DO NOT WIPE BLADE. Anyone have any insight on this? Does it have anything to do with some type of attempts to buff the blade, as with a cork? This is one blade that I have not really noticed a difference yet between corking and not corking. They are also double wrapped in paper for better protection.

I have two identical 40's SS razors. I think I'll load one with a corked blade and one with an uncorked blade. Then shave each half of my face with opposing razors and see how much difference I feel.

The only problem right now is the other razor is at my cottage two hours away. Maybe I could borrow my son's slim adjustable, but I really prefer to do all my testing with a 40's SS to have a consistant base for comparison.

One thing I know for sure, corking has not negatively affected my shaves in any way.
I've gone what I think is one better, just cork one edge of a blade and turn the razor over every other stroke. Repeat on a few blades just to make sure. Worked for me!

OK. Im a skeptic. Fired up a new feather this morning. drew a styro block across the blade twice each way on both sides.

Popped it in my new 38C and away I went.

I have been wet shaving with a cartridge for about 3 years. About a little over a year ago, I switched to using a DE exclusively.

Ive tried Derbys, Merkurs and feathers with most all the razors out there. Feathers seem to be the only blade I can use that works. Merkurs and Derbys just dont cut it for me. I use a 4 pass method. N-S, Left angle, right angle, S-N. Always tended to get a nick or scrape every time....so had resolved to assume that was part of shaving.

Skeptical, but desparate to try to stem the red tide, I did the styro treatment.

Maybe beginners luck, but with a new feather, and a heavy razor, I had no nicks, no scrapes, just a small amount of razor burn on the neck...

I would like to actually see some reviews by some of the veterans out there such as Scotto, Goosemeplease, Guenron, Leisure Guy and others. Wanted to actually hear of them trying this, then giving us some feedback.

dojohnso,
You sound as though you need peer approval for something that has been proven to work for so many. Read the previous 10 pages of this thread and you will find it has been a total success for everyone who has tried it. The only people who scoff at it are the ones who refuse to try it. Their loss. What you have done is you have transformed DE shaving to the most comfortable of levels. Keep doing it no matter what any of the skeptics say.
Johnd

dojohnso,
You sound as though you need peer approval for something that has been proven to work for so many. Read the previous 10 pages of this thread and you will find it has been a total success for everyone who has tried it. The only people who scoff at it are the ones who refuse to try it. Their loss. What you have done is you have transformed DE shaving to the most comfortable of levels. Keep doing it no matter what any of the skeptics say.
Johnd

Yep, gotcha. Im not changing. As I stated, this is the first time Ive been able to get a great shave with the first crack at a Feather.

The only reason I tried this was because I had read through the prior 10 pages. Seemed an odd thing, but was willing to try it.

Only because I get superbly close shaves have I made it a rule not to go back to a cartridge razor....this despite the nicks, cuts and weepies.

Now, this seems to do the trick.

Many thanks to you and the other folks that wrote this up here. This has taken my DE shaving experience to a more enjoyable level.

Best,

dojohnso

Maybe after you cork 1 of the 2 blades, have your wife or someone else load the 2 razors and not tell you which razor it's in. After 4-5 shaves, 7 in my case, tell them which razor gave you the best shaves.

I would like to actually see some reviews by some of the veterans out there such as Scotto, Goosemeplease, Guenron, Leisure Guy and others. Wanted to actually hear of them trying this, then giving us some feedback.

I may not be a veteran on this board but being a wetshaver of some 26 years I feel pretty qualified to be considered as a wetshaving veteran. This technique works. To those that would suggest just stepping down a blade type, you are missing the point, it doesn't make the blade less sharp, just smoother and not all blades benefit. Swede's don't need any adjustment IMO, but feathers do. Merkurs don't need corking, they just need to be sharp in the first place :biggrin: .

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I may not be a veteran on this board but being a wetshaver of some 26 years I feel pretty qualified to be considered as a wetshaving veteran. This technique works. To those that would suggest just stepping down a blade type, you are missing the point, it doesn't make the blade less sharp, just smoother and not all blades benefit. Swede's don't need any adjustment IMO, but feathers do. Merkurs don't need corking, they just need to be sharp in the first place :biggrin: .

I agree. I would add that I have not noticed any difference in the Gillette Nacet blade. It seems the sharpest blades benefit the most. I also agree that it does not dull the blade but simply buffs, smooths, strops, or whatever word you prefer, by sort of pinching the edge between two smooth surfaces.

The thing that got me to finally try it was the raves in this thread and its tendency to grow into one of the largest threads in such a short time.

I've gone what I think is one better, just cork one edge of a blade and turn the razor over every other stroke. Repeat on a few blades just to make sure. Worked for me!

Fritz,

i think your testing method is more objective since blade quality can sometimes vary from blade to blade.

Top Bottom