What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I hope experts such as Doug @Rosseforp will also chime in here.

An M5 thread is only .09mm larger than a 10-32 thread and the pitch is almost identical. What this means is that a handle with an M5 thread will fit loosely on a cap with a 10-32 thread, and a handle with a 10-32 thread might fit a cap with a M5 thread, but snugly.
I have made most of my handles to where they will fit both an M5 cap and 10-32 cap, but I have made a few that will fit only a Fatip with it's M4.5 x .75 thread.

Doug

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
An M5 thread is only .09mm larger than a 10-32 thread and the pitch is almost identical. What this means is that a handle with an M5 thread will fit loosely on a cap with a 10-32 thread, and a handle with a 10-32 thread might fit a cap with a M5 thread, but snugly.

Doug, that sounds like THE definitive statement.

Much appreciated!

I have made most of my handles to where they will fit both an M5 cap and 10-32 cap, but I have made a few that will fit only a Fatip with it's M4.5 x .75 thread.

Doug

Important point about Fatip handles for those unaware.

Also great point about what you as a machinist can do when you set your mind to it. Amazing.

Happy shave,

Jim

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have more issues with the length of the threaded shaft on some caps than I do with the thread size. For example, I have extra Charcoal Goods base plates and handles, but fall short on caps. Someone told me that a NEW LC cap fits well on the CG baseplate. Well, it certainly does. But the shaft is too long to fit on any of the CG handles. So you can never tighten the razor enough to hold the blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210902_162321_2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight (Shavemac 26/52 D01 3-Band)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210902_162412_2.jpg

The Mühle Rocca is so smooth that it is "deceptively efficient" and a very effective DE. An excellent razor and an excellent value! :thumbup:

Superb razor! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The RR Halo fits the Yates razors like it was made for them. Snugged up like it should and I detected zero play. :)

The Yates handle is a nice (fat) handle, but it is heavier than I prefer. :cool:
View attachment 1319331

More and more I prefer lighter handles. That said, I'm not opposed to tanks.

I'm thinking of ordering a Yates H cap and baseplate because it's said to be a head which is both efficient and in the category of "razors with the least blade feel."

Should I go that route, I'm thinking bead blast or as machined, probably bead blast having heard what you said about relative drag between bead blast and stonewashed Yates heads.

I liked the as machined finish of the Yates/WSC Winning Razor okay, but gave it to my grandson thinking it mild enough for him, and also thinking I wasn't wild about its drag. I told him to make a super wet lather to use with it. I don't think the as machined finish looked bad, and I doubt it contributed to the razor's drag, but maybe it did.

At the moment there is combination of a baseplate and head available in the same finish, so I'm not ordering a Yates H today.

I have the RR titanium handle. Glad to know it fits the Yates so well. While I wish the handle were a lot shorter, more in the 75 mm to 85 mm range. Even being too long for my tastes it's still an excellent handle. I will buy another one sometime.

Anyway, just letting you know your posts on these bits of kit are useful to me, and much appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It would be interesting sometime to maybe have a thread about razor stands, including the aftermarket stands.

Amazing the prices some vendors get for their stands. Amazing that we pay it.

5-8-21.Karve.F plate.New.Stand.640.JPG

4-24-21.TimelessBronzeSB.Stand.New-from-BST.640.JPG

In my opinion the finest stands in terms of a balance of looks and protection for the handle are made by Karve and the best looking design is the tall Timeless.

I'd give a shout out to the excellent stand Pearl includes in the low purchase price of the excellent all brass nickel plated adjustable Flexi. Free is good!

Happy shaves,

Jim

It would be interesting sometime to maybe have a thread about razor stands, including the aftermarket stands.

Amazing the prices some vendors get for their stands. Amazing that we pay it.

In my opinion the finest stands in terms of a balance of looks and protection for the handle are made by Karve and the best looking design is the tall Timeless.

I'd give a shout out to the excellent stand Pearl includes in the low purchase price of the excellent all brass nickel plated adjustable Flexi. Free is good!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Really enjoy Razorocks acrylic stand (same idea as Karves and Timeless) however it fits the larger diameter handles better like Razorock's barber pole and Radio knob than the smaller Razorock handles.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
More and more I prefer lighter handles. That said, I'm not opposed to tanks.

I'm thinking of ordering a Yates H cap and baseplate because it's said to be a head which is both efficient and in the category of "razors with the least blade feel."

Should I go that route, I'm thinking bead blast or as machined, probably bead blast having heard what you said about relative drag between bead blast and stonewashed Yates heads.

I liked the as machined finish of the Yates/WSC Winning Razor okay, but gave it to my grandson thinking it mild enough for him, and also thinking I wasn't wild about its drag. I told him to make a super wet lather to use with it. I don't think the as machined finish looked bad, and I doubt it contributed to the razor's drag, but maybe it did.

At the moment there is combination of a baseplate and head available in the same finish, so I'm not ordering a Yates H today.

I have the RR titanium handle. Glad to know it fits the Yates so well. While I wish the handle were a lot shorter, more in the 75 mm to 85 mm range. Even being too long for my tastes it's still an excellent handle. I will buy another one sometime.

Anyway, just letting you know your posts on these bits of kit are useful to me, and much appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You are most welcome, my friend.

The Yates Bead Blast finish has less drag than the Stonewashed finish. The H and EH plates are both pretty good. The EH has a bit more blade feel and is a bit more efficient. Definitely prefer either plate with the RR Ti Halo handle.

As far as overall standings between the Yates razors and others in my Den: The Yates 921 razors are in my "Extended, Occasional Use" category. Not quite "Running With The Big Dogs".

I am interested to read about your shaves with the 921-H. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My apologies.

I meant to say this:

At the moment there is NO combination of a baseplate and head available in the same finish, so I'm not ordering a Yates H today.

You are most welcome, my friend.

The Yates Bead Blast finish has less drag than the Stonewashed finish. The H and EH plates are both pretty good. The EH has a bit more blade feel and is a bit more efficient. Definitely prefer either plate with the RR Ti Halo handle.

As far as overall standings between the Yates razors and others in my Den: The Yates 921 razors are in my "Extended, Occasional Use" category. Not quite "Running With The Big Dogs".

I am interested to read about your shaves with the 921-H. :)

I'm not ordering until there's something I like in a finish I like (BB or maybe As-M) in both the baseplate and cap. Then, maybe I'll order a Yates H.

I'm in no rush to acquire more razors. Certainly not more razors incapable of being Daily Drivers for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Charcoal Goods Everyday 20201030
View attachment 1199311
Razor: Charcoal Goods Stainless Everyday Razor (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: Maggard Sandy-Pearl handle (Maggard 26mm Timberwolf)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Post-shave: RazoRock Alum
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

This razor lives up to its name - I could easily use it every day. A very competent razor and a pleasure to use. Recommended for those who enjoy a mild/mid efficient razor. 👍
Nice!

I shaved with the Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor yesterday. It fit right in the price range at $125 iirc. It is definitely a uniquely satisfying ultra smooth shave. And the razor is just stunningly beautiful, with a unique head design. I have gravitated away from very mild razors these days. But the Everyday still pleases. Sorry, no pic.
Guess I'll be finding that out for myself sometime soon since I placed an order for the Everyday head. REALLY hope its a better performer than the Tatara Masamune I had sometime back at least

View attachment 1211662
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock 24 Barrel Silvertip
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

I use a steep angle with the 0.95-SB. Seems to offer the best combination of smoothness and efficiency.

Very nice shave! :cool:

Addendum - Comparison of the RR Lupo 0.95 SB with the Blackbird and the Wolfman:

Several B&B members have posed the question: How does the 0.95-SB compare to razors priced well above its modest cost (like the Blackbird and the Wolfman)? To answer the question, I shaved with the following rotation from 1/13 - 1/21:

20210121: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210120: Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB
20210119: Blackland Razors Blackbird OC (Stainless)
20210118: Blackland Razors Blackbird SB (Brass)
20210117: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210116: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210115: RazoRock GC84-SB
20210114: RazoRock Lupo 0.72-SB
20210113: Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB

Think of two cars, a high-end Mercedes and an mid-level Kia or Chevy. Both cars have engines, transmissions, doors, etc. and get you from point A to point B. The Mercedes gets you there with a degree of elegance, power and authority that the mid-level Kia or Chevy does not match.

To bring it all together:

The Lupo 0.95-SB is a very good razor, a very good value and it produces very good results.

The Blackbirds and the Wolfman produce excellent results and do so with elegance and authority - at several times the cost of the Lupo.

If you decide to spend the bucks, the Blackbird and the Wolfman will not disappoint. I personally consider both to be worth the expenditure.

If not, the Lupo 0.95-SB will certainly provide you with great shaves at a very reasonable cost.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:
Perfectly summarised.....! ...and Thanks for ALL the Fish....!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Slightly off topic but where do you slot in the Timeless Ti 0.5 slim in the razorock/Wolfman/Blackbird spectrum? The blade gap is similar to the Blackbird’s and I find it performs similarly as well while being smoother. I like the 0.5 Slim a lot.
I also like the Timeless Slim SB a lot.

All of the razors you mentioned are well above the $125 upper limit of the comparisons in this thread, but I'm happy to offer my opinion.

My face, skin and whiskers: The Ti Blackbird is my current #1 DE razor. It best meets my criteria of efficient + smooth + nimble & maneuverable = effective.

Here are my Alpha Big Dogs and Big Dogs categories:

Big Dog Alpha Razors:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
Big Dogs (Tier 1a) (Alphabetical Order):
  • ATT Mixed Metal Aluminum/Copper CH1/CR1/CM1
  • ATT Mixed Metal Stainless/Copper/Titanium CH1/CR1/CM1, Ti Handle
  • Barbasol Floating Head
  • Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird SB
  • Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird SB
  • Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 1 Level 3
  • Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 2 Level 2
  • Colonial Razors The General
  • Gillette Pre-War Tech (Canada)
  • Jones Shake-Sharp v1
  • Karve Brass SB-G
  • Personna 70 (aka 'BBS-0')
  • Rex Envoy
  • Timeless Ti Slim SB
  • Timeless Stainless .95 OC
  • Timeless Bronze .38 SB
  • Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
I love shaving with all of these razors, with the Alpha Big Dog razors being my favorite razors.

As an aside, the two razors from this thread ($75 - $125) which made it into the Big Dogs are the Karve Brass SB-G and the Rex Envoy.

Complete shave notes are detailed in my journal:
Thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Top Bottom