What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Do you have tatara,Which ranking should you put it in?
The Tatara is over the $75 to $125 price range of this thread, but I will offer you my opinion.

My face has a number of creases, my skin is not particularly sensitive, my whiskers are coarse, wiry, chaotic and generally uncooperative.

I have the Nodachi with SB and OC plates but with the Masamune handle (3" handles are my preference).

In my opinion, the Nodachi is a very good razor, but it is not in my top Big Dogs category. It is not as effective as my Big Dogs razors. For now, I've placed it in my second category, Runs With The Big Dogs.

I am told, by shavers with opinions I respect, that I need to get a Masamune head and "mix and match" the Masamune and Nodachi caps and plates to determine the best combination for my face, skin & beard. So that is on my list of things to do.

Hope this helps. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
An M5 thread is only .09mm larger than a 10-32 thread and the pitch is almost identical. What this means is that a handle with an M5 thread will fit loosely on a cap with a 10-32 thread, and a handle with a 10-32 thread might fit a cap with a M5 thread, but snugly.
I have made most of my handles to where they will fit both an M5 cap and 10-32 cap, but I have made a few that will fit only a Fatip with it's M4.5 x .75 thread.

Doug

This morning shaving with the Karve and its OC-A plate I realized I'd like the razor better with a fatter handle.

Karve.GTS.640.JPG

I was careful with the threads, but, to be really sure, searched for this information.

Doug, thanks for the beautiful handle and reliable thread information. Looks good, yes?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This morning shaving with the Karve and its OC-A plate I realized I'd like the razor better with a fatter handle.

View attachment 1467626

I was careful with the threads, but, to be really sure, searched for this information.

Doug, thanks for the beautiful handle and reliable thread information. Looks good, yes?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Not to worry Jim, the threads are Karve approved by me, and I liked the handle I made for you so much I made one for me too. :cornut:
~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Doug's GTS on his Karve.640..png

Not to worry Jim, the threads are Karve approved by me, and I liked the handle I made for you so much I made one for me too. :cornut:
~doug~

Very nice, but mine has a stand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have at least two or there of the Russian handles and several handles custom modified by a talented member.

I like the Karve CB 3 inch handle okay, but would like it better if it were fatter.

I am not fixing to buy a new Karve razor design, or head either, but will consider asking about just a head (and no handle) down the road if the reviews continue to impress me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom