What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
I have a number of nice razors, available new in the (approximately) $75 to $150 (USD) price range. Figured I'd compile my shaving notes and pics in one place with additional impressions of each razor, positive and negative.

***Please remember that I do NOT chase BBS. My shaves are routinely in the DFS to DFS++ range and that's fine by me. I occasionally still hit BBS without trying, usually with razors outside the parameters of this comparison.***

This is very much In My Opinion and YMMV so please keep that in mind.

Please feel free to contribute your own shaves and opinions and/or comment on mine.

With that, let's begin:

Karve Mixed OC-C 20201204
20201204_151708~2.jpg
Razor: Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Proraso Blue Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Canoe

I really like this razor. Lots of flexibility with a wide variety of SB and OC plates. Very good combination of smooth, efficient and effective. My shaves with the Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate) are really pleasant with excellent results. Recommended. 👍

More to follow. :)

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Charcoal Goods Everyday 20201030
20201030_104519~2.jpg
Razor: Charcoal Goods Stainless Everyday Razor (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: Maggard Sandy-Pearl handle (Maggard 26mm Timberwolf)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Post-shave: RazoRock Alum
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

This razor lives up to its name - I could easily use it every day. A very competent razor and a pleasure to use. Recommended for those who enjoy a mild/mid efficient razor. 👍

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Rex Envoy 20201221
20201221_204555~2.jpg
Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
Brush: Omega Model 10066 White Handle (24mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat ('The Fat' rocks.)
Pre-shave: Splash face with warm water, massage Cremo into face, lightly rinse with warm water
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, towel dry, apply Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

The Rex Envoy is an outstanding razor that shaves well above its price point. Excellent fit and finish. Absolutely smooth. Medium++ efficient. Outstanding results. Highly recommended. 👍

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
RazoRock Stainless Lupo w/DLC 20201222
20201222_132328~2.jpg
Razor: RazoRock Stainless Lupo w/DLC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Mondial 1908 Faux Ivory (26mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Pre-shave: Splash face with warm water, massage Cremo into face, lightly rinse with warm water
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, towel dry, apply Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Stainless RazoRock Lupo w/DLC coating is also a very nice razor that shaves above its cost. The DLC coating feels a bit different against my face, which takes a little getting used to. The shaves are close, efficient and effective. Recommended. 👍

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Very informative thread, David. Thank you for taking the time to compile your impressions on these razors. These types of comparisons help countless readers me as they I jump deeper into rabbit holes!
Thank you, my friend. :)

I have more to post as time permits.

Merry Christmas. 🎄

Good information for a person who is thinking about purchasing a new razor, I like reading reviews before purchasing anything new now a days.
Have some good Christmas holidays, hopefully 2021 is better than 2020 for a majority of folks!
Thanks David.

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Yates 921-H 20201223
20201223_123259~2.jpg
Razor: Yates 921-H (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Omega 10081 Silver Beehive Handle (23mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, RazoRock Alum, cold water rinse, towel dry, Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Yates 921-H is a mid-high efficient razor. The shave is smooth and close. The stone washed finish feels different than my other stainless razors - more 'face feel', if you will. Not really an issue, but it is different. Recommended. 👍

Yates 921-HYB 20201212
20201212_151921~2.jpg
Razor: Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap (Charcoal Goods Hammered Brass Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Fragrance: Preferred Stock by Stetson

The Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap is a medium efficient dual comb razor. It shaves close and smooth. It's not quite as efficient as the 921-H but, with the brass plate, exhibits less of the 'stone washed' feel of the 921-H. Overall, a very effective razor. Recommend. 👍

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Good information for a person who is thinking about purchasing a new razor, I like reading reviews before purchasing anything new now a days.
Have some good Christmas holidays, hopefully 2021 is better than 2020 for a majority of folks!
Thanks David.
Thank you very much. :)

Merry Christmas! 🎄

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Great kit at great price points. That's not the end, is it?😀
Nope. There will be a few more. ;)

Will try to get a couple more posted this evening and will undoubtedly be posting more tomorrow (getting ready to host Christmas Eve Dinner for the whole family;)).

24 hours of A Christmas Story, here we come. 🎅

Nice thread. Curious about the routine application of two daily aftershaves, though. I enjoy Osage Rub, as well, but I use it in rotation with my other aftershave splashes.

never-stop-learning

Contributor
Ambassador
Nice thread. Curious about the routine application of two daily aftershaves, though. I enjoy Osage Rub, as well, but I use it in rotation with my other aftershave splashes.
Different strokes..... ;)

I like the feel of Osage Rub but the scent dissipates very quickly. After the scent dies down, I apply a stronger scented Aftershave.

Today I paired Osage Rub with Classic Stetson Cologne. Worked really well together.

As with all things shaving, YMMV. 😎

Top Bottom