What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

View attachment 1300578
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

I have something to confess: The Mühle Rocca was included in my mid-priced DE razors comparison almost as an afterthought. How good could it be? Well.....Pretty darn good. Each shave seems to be better than the last. The R95 V4 is so smooth that it is "deceptively efficient" which - per my personal "efficient + smooth = effective" formula - makes the R95 V4 a very effective DE. As of right now, solidly in the "Runs With The Big Dogs" rotation and edging upward. Good enough to be a daily driver. An excellent razor and an excellent value! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

I find the Rocca deceptively good as well. It's in my top 5 for sure.

View attachment 1300578
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

I have something to confess: The Mühle Rocca was included in my mid-priced DE razors comparison almost as an afterthought. How good could it be? Well.....Pretty darn good. Each shave seems to be better than the last. The R95 V4 is so smooth that it is "deceptively efficient" which - per my personal "efficient + smooth = effective" formula - makes the R95 V4 a very effective DE. As of right now, solidly in the "Runs With The Big Dogs" rotation and edging upward. Good enough to be a daily driver. An excellent razor and an excellent value! :thumbup:

It is a good razor for sure. I recently chose it to be my sole razor for eight days while traveling. But it's that birch bark handle that nails it for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210723_152417~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Efficient, smooth and effective - every shave with the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:

Would love to see how in your opinion an EJ 3one6 compares to a Rocca. I'm interested in these razor because on Amazon they are returnable if you don't like them. If I had one I would send it to you for your comparison. Great thread. 😊

Would love to see how in your opinion an EJ 3one6 compares to a Rocca. I'm interested in these razor because on Amazon they are returnable if you don't like them. If I had one I would send it to you for your comparison. Great thread. 😊
I don't have nearly as much experience with the variety of razors that @never-stop-learning does, but I do have both the EJ 3one6 and Muhle Rocca and I've been using DE razors for a very long time. Somewhere I posted a comparison of the two once before, but the quick summary is that they are both excellent razors and perform and feel quite similar to one another. I prefer the Rocca, partly because the birch bark handle is my favorite razor handle of all I have used, and partly because I find it to be ever so slightly more efficient. Others, however, find the 3one6 to be more efficient. I also found the 3one6 handle to be too thin for my liking and currently use the 3one6 with a RazoRock Bulldog handle.

I don't have nearly as much experience with the variety of razors that @never-stop-learning does, but I do have both the EJ 3one6 and Muhle Rocca and I've been using DE razors for a very long time. Somewhere I posted a comparison of the two once before, but the quick summary is that they are both excellent razors and perform and feel quite similar to one another. I prefer the Rocca, partly because the birch bark handle is my favorite razor handle of all I have used, and partly because I find it to be ever so slightly more efficient. Others, however, find the 3one6 to be more efficient. I also found the 3one6 handle to be too thin for my liking and currently use the 3one6 with a RazoRock Bulldog handle.

Thanks for your insight. Which one has more blade feel? Efficiency is great but I'm a daily shaver. Would you know if all the colored handles on the 3one6 are the lighter anodized handles? I like the color handle choices. But not sure if I want the lighter razor & I'm aware the birch handle Rocca is lighter than the others.
Thanks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thank you for your kind comments. :)

At some point I'll round up a 3one6 for comparison - not sure exactly when, though.

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the 3one6 in comparison to the Rocca! :)

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your insight. Which one has more blade feel? Efficiency is great but I'm a daily shaver. Would you know if all the colored handles on the 3one6 are the lighter anodized handles? I like the color handle choices. But not sure if I want the lighter razor & I'm aware the birch handle Rocca is lighter than the others.
Thanks.
Happy to help! I find the blade feel to be very similar between the Rocca and 3one6. I am also a daily shaver; I can't remember the last time I did not shave in the morning. Both work very well as a daily driver, and I have used them that way. I had the Rocca before the 3one6 or Dart, and for many months used it every day, or nearly so (I have a few other razors that were used occasionally). I took the 3one6 on an extended trip to visit my son and his family in Canada (which included a 14 day quarantine) and used it every day on that trip.

With regard to handle weight and choice, I'm not going to be too much help. I wasn't aware that the birch handle was the lightest of the Rocca handles, because I never considered buying any other handle for that razor. I do not find it to be particularly light, but I can weigh it if you like. On the 3one6 I had the knurled stainless steel handle, but I found it to be too thin for my large and somewhat arthritic fingers. I put that handle aside and paired the head with a $15 bulldog stainless steel handle from Italian Barber. According to their website it is 2.8 oz and 90 mm long.

Happy to help! I find the blade feel to be very similar between the Rocca and 3one6. I am also a daily shaver; I can't remember the last time I did not shave in the morning. Both work very well as a daily driver, and I have used them that way. I had the Rocca before the 3one6 or Dart, and for many months used it every day, or nearly so (I have a few other razors that were used occasionally). I took the 3one6 on an extended trip to visit my son and his family in Canada (which included a 14 day quarantine) and used it every day on that trip.

With regard to handle weight and choice, I'm not going to be too much help. I wasn't aware that the birch handle was the lightest of the Rocca handles, because I never considered buying any other handle for that razor. I do not find it to be particularly light, but I can weigh it if you like. On the 3one6 I had the knurled stainless steel handle, but I found it to be too thin for my large and somewhat arthritic fingers. I put that handle aside and paired the head with a $15 bulldog stainless steel handle from Italian Barber. According to their website it is 2.8 oz and 90 mm long.

Thanks again for the info. Even though I can buy both & return the one I like least my wife would have a heart attack If I spend over $200 for razors I don't need but want. I'd do the same if she bought another purse. 🤣

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Karve Brass Widebody SB-G
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and Retired)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
shave 20210729_180402_2.jpg

The Karve Brass Widebody SB-G is a wonderful razor, an excellent value and is one of my DE Big Dogs. The Personna Israeli Platinum Red works really well in the SB-G and produces excellent results. Efficient, smooth and effective! :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Thanks again for the info. Even though I can buy both & return the one I like least my wife would have a heart attack If I spend over $200 for razors I don't need but want. I'd do the same if she bought another purse. 🤣

Steve_in_CT is correct with his assessment of the Rocca and 3one6. Both are great daily shaver type razors and perform almost identical. However, I find a slight advantage with the 3one6. To solve the skinny handle issue of the 3one6, I use my Rocca handle with it and it works great. Both are efficient, smooth and comfortable. Hard to go wrong ither way. They are both in my top 5 razor category.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210805_095335_2.jpg

Razor: PAA Copper DOC Ascension
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super Badger
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
hardware 20210805_095424_2.jpg

Check out my Journal (post #57) for the PAA Copper Ascension first shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just had a second shave with my new Dart. It's so efficient it's unbelievable. The post-shave feel reminds me very much of R41. However I'd say Dart is even more efficient than R41 and has a much nicer face feel during the shave. Very happy with the purchase.

I was very sorry to see the Dart discontinued. It definitely shaves like one of the best at a very reasonable price. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Lather: Tabac (non-tallow)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20210820_134221~2.jpg

In my opinion, the Fatip Lo Storto Originale is one of the best values in DE razors. The FOCS rocks. :punk:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1630266411960.png

1630266653899.png

1630266505304.png

David, does this thread business bother you. Obviously you get away with it. I read about the differences in the threads from the point of view of experts such as machinists, but that doesn't mean I know anything at all.

I'm a little bit interested in the Yates razors (not a lot) but not so much in their handles. I like fat handles.

I hope experts such as Doug @Rosseforp will also chime in here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1319245

View attachment 1319251

View attachment 1319249

David, does this thread business bother you. Obviously you get away with it. I read about the differences in the threads from the point of view of experts such as machinists, but that doesn't mean I know anything at all.

I'm a little bit interested in the Yates razors (not a lot) but not so much in their handles. I like fat handles.

I hope experts such as Doug @Rosseforp will also chime in here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The RR Halo fits the Yates razors like it was made for them. Snugged up like it should and I detected zero play. :)

The Yates handle is a nice (fat) handle, but it is heavier than I prefer. :cool:
20210128_212249_2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom