What's new

Cold Brew experience?

Hm. Well coke stopped making it im guessing. I guess a little coffee couldnt be bad. I figure it was a meager attempt to jump on the energy drink craze, and sell more coke.

I still see it at gas stations every once in a while
yeah, it was a different perspective attempt on energy drinks, but it was expensive and only 8 oz....very cool bottle though

Mmm, cold brew coffee. I've been doing this for about a year now. 1/4 cup ground coffee to a pint of water or 1/2 cup to a quart. I use mason jars, leave it in the fridge at least over night then filter it with a coffee filter holder/filter. What I don't use in a timely fashion I do use for the aforementioned coffee ice cubes so my iced coffee doesn't get all watered down.

This is great for iced coffee but I agree that the technique makes sub par hot coffee.

mason jars is a good idea....I love to use them to drink my iced tea from, but this makes the 2nd great use idea for them I've gotten the past 2 weeks. First up, use them on your blender; usually, the blender blade/base will screw right onto a mason jar, allowing you to make your smoothie, ground coffee, whatever, right into your mason jar - very cool, works great.
now a clever way to make cold brew coffee - my early thoughts go to using the screw on part of the lid to hold a coffee filter in place while pouring from one container to the other, wonder if that would work?

mason jars is a good idea....I love to use them to drink my iced tea from, but this makes the 2nd great use idea for them I've gotten the past 2 weeks. First up, use them on your blender; usually, the blender blade/base will screw right onto a mason jar, allowing you to make your smoothie, ground coffee, whatever, right into your mason jar - very cool, works great.
now a clever way to make cold brew coffee - my early thoughts go to using the screw on part of the lid to hold a coffee filter in place while pouring from one container to the other, wonder if that would work?

I'd be a little leary of this, are mason jars designed to handle that kind of vibration? I can just see one of them shattering in your hand. :yikes: On the other hand, I guess they do hold up to the pressure involved with the canning process... so who knows, maybe it would work. You know, I've got a couple of those smoothie container attachments for my blender, now I'm going to be hacked off if I could have saved 20 bucks by buying mason jars instead.

I think they make a strainer specifically for canning... I wonder if one of those would be a fine enough mesh.

I'd be a little leary of this, are mason jars designed to handle that kind of vibration? I can just see one of them shattering in your hand. :yikes: On the other hand, I guess they do hold up to the pressure involved with the canning process... so who knows, maybe it would work. You know, I've got a couple of those smoothie container attachments for my blender, now I'm going to be hacked off if I could have saved 20 bucks by buying mason jars instead.

I think they make a strainer specifically for canning... I wonder if one of those would be a fine enough mesh.

I would probably say not, but I bet you could take apart a metal filter for coffee makers and use that, if it has enough surface area for the mouth of the jar - I've used my press for so long now, I can't remember how much screening is on my filter
I've only seen fairly course mesh for canning, but there may be different grades

In fact, it does work and works well. I don't know about long term use, but the article I read it in says it's an age-old practice, and that originally home blenders were made so that it (using mason jars) could be done - how true that is, we'll probably never know, but I brought up the topic around some of my great-aunts while at my grandparents anniversary, and they mentioned they use to do it too. It's usually for grinding/chopping spices, nuts, etc., for immediate storage in the jar.

quote=sporkboy;536442]Mmm, cold brew coffee. I've been doing this for about a year now. 1/4 cup ground coffee to a pint of water or 1/2 cup to a quart. I use mason jars, leave it in the fridge at least over night then filter it with a coffee filter holder/filter. What I don't use in a timely fashion I do use for the aforementioned coffee ice cubes so my iced coffee doesn't get all watered down.

This is great for iced coffee but I agree that the technique makes sub par hot coffee.[/quote]

I'm trying this ratio tonight - will report my results tomorrow

My latest batch was 6 ounces of coffee and enough water to bring it up to 14 oz. I let it sit for 24 hours and filtered it through a metal coffee filter. This morning, I added just a splash of coffee concentrate to a cup of milk, and boy was it grand! :w00t:

I compared a cup of cold brew iced coffee(1/2 cup coffee with 1 qt water) today with iced coffee brewed from my french press.

The coffee used was the same for both brew methods.

- Cold Brew (filtered) had less body and a bit sweeter(wine notes) but overall pretty good

- French Press - more body(oils in coffee) and flavors were a bit more complex.

I'll end up using this whenever I'm in the mood for iced coffee more than just in the mornings.

My latest batch was 6 ounces of coffee and enough water to bring it up to 14 oz. I let it sit for 24 hours and filtered it through a metal coffee filter. This morning, I added just a splash of coffee concentrate to a cup of milk, and boy was it grand! :w00t:

yes, but was it a Grande?

Mmm, cold brew coffee. I've been doing this for about a year now. 1/4 cup ground coffee to a pint of water or 1/2 cup to a quart. I use mason jars, leave it in the fridge at least over night then filter it with a coffee filter holder/filter. What I don't use in a timely fashion I do use for the aforementioned coffee ice cubes so my iced coffee doesn't get all watered down.

This is great for iced coffee but I agree that the technique makes sub par hot coffee.
sol92258 said:
I'm trying this ratio tonight - will report my results tomorrow

OK, it's tomorrow now...no I didn't take the train to Morrow yesterday.....
I used slightly more than 1/4 cup coffee to 2 cups water (1 Bodum scoop per 4 oz water, Bodum scoop marked as 7 grams/0.25 oz per cup), turned out very nice. Used Community Coffee Breakfast Blend grounds, let it set overnight (only 10 hours, got home from church late) in my Bodum french press, then used 1/1 ratio coffee concentrate/water, packet of Splenda and generous splash for french vanilla creamer = Yummy! (would be inclined to say Yummo, but I didn't add EVOO - or Rachel Ray {Yummo!}:w00t:)

OK, it's tomorrow now...no I didn't take the train to Morrow yesterday.....
I used slightly more than 1/4 cup coffee to 2 cups water (1 Bodum scoop per 4 oz water, Bodum scoop marked as 7 grams/0.25 oz per cup), turned out very nice. Used Community Coffee Breakfast Blend grounds, let it set overnight (only 10 hours, got home from church late) in my Bodum french press, then used 1/1 ratio coffee concentrate/water, packet of Splenda and generous splash for french vanilla creamer = Yummy! (would be inclined to say Yummo, but I didn't add EVOO - or Rachel Ray {Yummo!}:w00t:)

I'm confused, are we still talking coffee or pre-shave prep?[/quote]

Mmmmmmmm.....so many ways this could go, but....
Reflecting on that previous post reveals to me that I was typing flow-of-thought, and as such may have not made any sense - EVOO is reference to Rachel Ray, who it seems has to say "EVOO" at least once every 3 minutes, and Yummo every 5 (not scientifically calculated, just guesstimate based on the only episode of her show I've seen - and who the heck knows what she was cooking :wink:), other than that, I see no need to clarify a topic concerning coffee, Rachel Ray, and EVOO.....

EVOO is reference to Rachel Ray, who it seems has to say "EVOO" at least once every 3 minutes, and Yummo every 5 (not scientifically calculated, just guesstimate based on the only episode of her show I've seen - and who the heck knows what she was cooking :wink:), other than that, I see no need to clarify a topic concerning coffee, Rachel Ray, and EVOO.....

ok, just for the record, it's one thing to watch Rachel Ray, it's another entirely to admit to it.

ok, just for the record, it's one thing to watch Rachel Ray, it's another entirely to admit to it.

well, I'm tempted to agree with you, however, a man saying he watches Rachel Ray's show to learn about cooking = saying he reads a "gentleman's" magazine for the articles, me thinks :wink: :cool:
besides, I fell asleep watching Emeril, and woke up to Ray, decided to not change the channel :ihih:

I used slightly more than 1/4 cup coffee to 2 cups water (1 Bodum scoop per 4 oz water, Bodum scoop marked as 7 grams/0.25 oz per cup), turned out very nice. Used Community Coffee Breakfast Blend grounds, let it set overnight (only 10 hours, got home from church late) in my Bodum french press, then used 1/1 ratio coffee concentrate/water, packet of Splenda and generous splash for french vanilla creamer

On day two with this recipe, tastes better than yesterday! I could get used to this, though it won't replace my black/green tea recipe or hot french press coffee, it will definitely "be in rotation", as we're so fond of saying here

It looks like it's good for about a week, and then it just turns to a gritty taste. I used it to flavor my water all week, and then, when Monday rolled around, I couldn't taste it. Of course, that might have something to do with the 26 gallons of mucus coming out of my nose too. Stupid allergies.:frown: What's frustrating is that if I had known that it wasn't going to last me any longer than that, I would have used a greater amount in each bottle of water, as it is, I barely put a dent in the stuff.

I haven't made any cold-brewed press coffee in awhile, and not since acquiring a grinder...looks like it's time for another batch!

We use the coffee toddy throughout the year, not for our regular coffee, but for drinks like frappucinos, etc. since the coffee at the toddy produces lacks the sparkle of the real McCoy, it works fine in these highly flavored drinks. For those who want to drink regular coffee, but find their stomachs getting upset, toddy coffee is an excellent choice because of its low acidity.
Our household procedure: French press; Chemex if we need it to travel; and espresso, all of the above freshly ground.

Top Bottom