What's new

Cold Brew experience?

I usually make my coffee one cup at a time with this little french-press style travel mug that I bought at the Just-a-Dollar. Since it's just me and the wife, and she doesn't touch the stuff, it works great... you just drop a tablespoon of coffee grounds into a cup of water fresh from the hotshot-- let it sit 3 minutes and then push the screen/filter to the bottom, mashing the grounds in at the bottom.

The other day, I set my coffee down and didn't get back to it until a few hours later. Without thinking, I picked it up and took a sip of tepid coffee. hmmm... not bad... I actually kind of liked it. :eek: Now maybe somewhere between cold and the burn-your-tongue-like-bay-rum temperature that you get fresh from the hotshot is about right. I jumped online to see if others out there liked cold (but not chilled) coffee-- and I stumbled upon the cold brewing proccess. Anybody here ever try the DIY methods of cold brewing concentrated coffee? What's been your experience with it?

I cold brew on weekends in my Bodum french press.

Put the coffee and cold water in the french press the night before, 12 hours later it's done. Cold-brewed coffee has a different taste (supposedly less acidic than the hot brewing process, I think) and is quite enjoyable.

But I don't heat the brew up to drink it...I end up drinking it iced.

Here is a link to a .pdf with the details from bodum.

http://portal.bodum.com/upload/docs/awards/BODUM_icedcoffee_eng_1.pdf

I cold brew on weekends in my Bodum french press.

Put the coffee and cold water in the french press the night before, 12 hours later it's done. Cold-brewed coffee has a different taste (supposedly less acidic than the hot brewing process, I think) and is quite enjoyable.

But I don't heat the brew up to drink it...I end up drinking it iced.

Here is a link to a .pdf with the details from bodum.

http://portal.bodum.com/upload/docs/awards/BODUM_icedcoffee_eng_1.pdf

Love both my Bodum's, I will be trying this sometime soon, possibly tonight, since I have an 8 hour drive tomorrow night!

I buy my Cold Brew concentrate from The New Orleans Coffee Company. It's called "Cool Brew" and is amazing. Not as good as the real stuff, but great nonetheless; lower in acid and caffeine as well, which is good for some.

This stuff makes the best iced coffee I've ever had; one shot of the CoolBree, three shots of milk, sugar syrup and ice. Mmmm...

No affiiliation at all, just a satisfied coffee lover.

Link

PS: I've tried making my own "toddy coffee", and it works, but the results are nowhere near as good as the Cool Brew.

I have made coffee with a toddy before. Very good, though I don't drink enough coffee to make a big pot worth it very often. Just remember: don't drink the stuff straight. :eek:

I feel compelled to say that that link does not specify whether or not to put brewing coffee in refrigerator or leave it on the counter over night, but a quick google search showed that on counter at room temperature is the method...just wanted to clarify that in case anyone was like me and didn't know.
I'll let you know how it turns out in the morn'

I have used the Filtron cold brewing system and think it makes great coffee. The concentrate that it produces makes great iced coffee, or if I add hot water to it I can make espresso or regular strength coffee. The taste is always fresh and the system seems to bring out great flavors with no bitterness.

Here's a link.

http://filtroncoffee.com/

i got one of the toddy brewers a couple of years ago to try.

the convenience is great -- just keep the cold brew in the refrigerator, and make individual cups by adding some water and microwaving.

to me, the coffee is kind of flat tasting, but certainly drinkable. my wife however hates it.

imo nothing beats freedom press coffee. the idea of cold brewing with the freedom press is interesting. i'm going to try it.

not bad at all...
I only did a small batch last night, about 12 oz, and it only got to sit for 9 hours, but I'm fairly impressed, I'm not much of a cold coffee person, though I have been known to down a few Sonic Java Chillers :biggrin1:
I used the Bodum recommended method, one Bodum scoop per cup of water, let it sit on the counter overnight, mixed 1 to 1 with cold water, a bit strong by itself (actually only used 10 oz, ran outta room in the press) so a splash of water, some creamer and 1 splenda tablet and I must say I'm rather pleased with it.

I tried a ratio of 1 part coffee to 4 parts water. I put it all in a plastic container and let it sit for about 24 hours, then strained it through a metal screen. My first try, I mixed about a half cup concentrate with a half hot water and it was pretty good, but that sure is a lot of coffee grounds to produce so little coffee. So, on a whim, this morning I put about a half shot of coffee concentrate into a 20 oz. coke bottle and topped it off with cool tap water. It looks a little like tea, but it has a nice coffee-ish flavour. So now I've got coffee flavored water with just a little caffeine. It's actually not so bad. :biggrin:

I just put the concentrate on the rocks and drink it iced. Advantage of living in California, I guess, iced coffee is appropriate much of the year lol.

Well, the coffee water experiment continues... I've been drinking coffee laced water all week, and I've got to say, it's not too bad. The coffee concentrate definitely stretches using this method and I've not noticed a problem with the jitters. All in all, I give it a thumbs up. Next time I might try a slightly finer screen for filtering though--- I still find a few stray grounds in my drink, but it's not enough to make things crunchy.

I cold brew in a Toddy occasionally. It produces the best concentrate for iced drinks I've had but I agree with some of you that it doesn't make the best hot coffee. Every type of bean I use produces the same sort of muted flavor when hot.

The ratio of coffee to water is more like 1 / 1 for that brewer - you have a pound of grounds and add enough water just so the top becomes moist.

I feel that you'll never get the flavor and richness from a cup of coffee that is cold brewed. Possibly by letting it sit in a press for 12 hours. Also, in terms of hot brewing in a press you should be using 2 TBS per 6oz of coffee in a fresh press. Also, You should never "mash" the grinds on the bottom because that will cause them to become over-brewed and push out the bitter notes that come out when it is over-brewed. Also, you should pour out the coffee into another container because leaving the grounds in the bottom will also cause a more acidic and overbrewed cup.

I've been intending to make another pot of cold brew coffee this week, but haven't had the time to do so yet...but I did have thought - about a year or so back, Coca Cola brought forth Coke Blak, which was Coke infused with coffee; for those who like it (I thought it was pretty good), you could cold brew you coffee, freeze it, then use those "ice cubes" for you Coke, and Voila!- your own homemade Coke Blak {or just mix the liquid form with already cold coke}

Hm. Well coke stopped making it im guessing. I guess a little coffee couldnt be bad. I figure it was a meager attempt to jump on the energy drink craze, and sell more coke.

Top Bottom