What's new

Coarse beard razor bump prevention ( African, Indian, Euro ect) info & tips thread.

Years ago when I was in the USAF, we dispensed a lot of surgical scrub brushes, mostly to black airmen, with instructions to brush their face several times daily to help orientate the grain or direction the beard grew in. Our dermatologist claimed it helped.
Thanks for the input, I'm sorry I missed your post...and thanks for the military service too.

I have extremely course ha
Ok
COLD WATER is a very important element in the razor bumps and irritation prevention process so far....more tips from our members to follow
ur. The hot( hot as you can take) is vital, the problem here is. When the follicle opens for this person and some others, it has the chance to Turn, the key to this part of this is to ALWAYS USE HOT; but take your time after the premature openin, wait a little and start again with the hot/ warm water and take Your time! ANGLE IS I EVERYTHING

Just saw this thread for the first time.

I no longer get ingrown hairs - but I sure did when I was a teenager. I would have to take a needle to extract the ingrown hair. If I didn't I would get swelling where the ingrown hair existed. Some things I noticed:
  • If I skipped shaving for a day, the ingrown hair would appear. If I shaved every day it was a rare occurrence when I would get an ingrown hair.
  • Hot towels and hot showers seemed to result in more ingrown hairs.
  • The problem I have on my neck is that the grain changes directions frequently. The result is that a WTG pass has little meaning. For example, if I do an N to S pass on my neck it will be WTG, ATG, XTG in places.
After some experimenting, I started to change my shaving routine.
  1. I shave every day.
  2. I shave with cool water before taking a shower.
  3. Because of the grain pattern on my neck, I get better results with a less aggressive razor. I happen to do a four pass shave and as long as I keep a light touch I don't have any problems.
It's been over 30 years since I have had an ingrown hair.

71yrbkrYpSL._SY550_.jpg

After I shave and have BBS results by feel, I apply this Nivea balm and it softens my skin and reveals stubble. I then dry shave it away.

This stuff softens my skin instantly and I believe it helps my stubble grow back the way it should. That, paired with a rigid blade edge, I've been using SE razors exclusively, I haven't had any issues at all.

If you're having issues and start using Nivea, I would be interested in your feedback.

My best solution (I have historically suffered at length from ingrowns on my neck, and severe ingrowns on my chin; I am nearing 50, and only recently discovered a 90% solution for my chin):

1. Shower, and wash my face with Cetaphil.
2. Slicker lather is better. Slick as I can get it.
3. Cold water shaves.
4. Mild razor with smooth but sharp blade.
5. Careful attention to pressure and grain of facial hair. Two passes maximum.
6. Cold water rinse of my face post shave.
7. Tend Skin and aftershave balm.

This has allowed me to shave my chin daily - something I have never been able to do in my lifetime previously.

For me, the magic was Tend Skin. All of the rest of this was established over previous years of wet shaving, but nothing helped my chin more than Tend Skin. In most instances on here, the default answer of "technique" is probably correct, whenever someone reports ingrown problems. But sometimes, such as in my case, there really WAS a magic bullet out there.

If you have been at this for years but are still having problems, don't automatically assume there is some issue with your technique, which is what just about everyone on here will tell you. There just might be a product out there that helps you.

Just saw this thread for the first time.

I no longer get ingrown hairs - but I sure did when I was a teenager. I would have to take a needle to extract the ingrown hair. If I didn't I would get swelling where the ingrown hair existed. Some things I noticed:
  • If I skipped shaving for a day, the ingrown hair would appear. If I shaved every day it was a rare occurrence when I would get an ingrown hair.
  • Hot towels and hot showers seemed to result in more ingrown hairs.
  • The problem I have on my neck is that the grain changes directions frequently. The result is that a WTG pass has little meaning. For example, if I do an N to S pass on my neck it will be WTG, ATG, XTG in places.
After some experimenting, I started to change my shaving routine.
  1. I shave every day.
  2. I shave with cool water before taking a shower.
  3. Because of the grain pattern on my neck, I get better results with a less aggressive razor. I happen to do a four pass shave and as long as I keep a light touch I don't have any problems.
It's been over 30 years since I have had an ingrown hair.
Thanks for such an exquisite and thorough advise from your experience.

My best solution (I have historically suffered at length from ingrowns on my neck, and severe ingrowns on my chin; I am nearing 50, and only recently discovered a 90% solution for my chin):

1. Shower, and wash my face with Cetaphil.
2. Slicker lather is better. Slick as I can get it.
3. Cold water shaves.
4. Mild razor with smooth but sharp blade.
5. Careful attention to pressure and grain of facial hair. Two passes maximum.
6. Cold water rinse of my face post shave.
7. Tend Skin and aftershave balm.

This has allowed me to shave my chin daily - something I have never been able to do in my lifetime previously.

For me, the magic was Tend Skin. All of the rest of this was established over previous years of wet shaving, but nothing helped my chin more than Tend Skin. In most instances on here, the default answer of "technique" is probably correct, whenever someone reports ingrown problems. But sometimes, such as in my case, there really WAS a magic bullet out there.

If you have been at this for years but are still having problems, don't automatically assume there is some issue with your technique, which is what just about everyone on here will tell you. There just might be a product out there that helps you.
I see that cold water is a key factor...

View attachment 821497

After I shave and have BBS results by feel, I apply this Nivea balm and it softens my skin and reveals stubble. I then dry shave it away.

This stuff softens my skin instantly and I believe it helps my stubble grow back the way it should. That, paired with a rigid blade edge, I've been using SE razors exclusively, I haven't had any issues at all.

If you're having issues and start using Nivea, I would be interested in your feedback.
Thank you for your time and tip...

I've always suffered from ingrowns..my beard, I don't think is super thick but its like wire and tends to grow back into the skin. Ill throw in some tips i've learned along the way.

exfoliating everyday but at the opposite time of day that I shave (exfoliate in morning if shave at night)

shower before shave then rinse with cold water before shave

the less passes the better (fairly aggressive razor with mild blade helps me)

forget about BBS

make sure skin and beard are moisturized

exactly!
don't be a BBS tryhard. in my case as a time went i noticed i can get BBS easily but i got much more bumps. what helped me:
find a very efficient (agressive) razor and tame it properly (Schick Injector E3 works best for me)
instead of stretching skin just flatten it
skip ATG pass - go WTG-XTG-touchup (DFS easily) or WTG-XTG-XTG(DFS or BBS) max

How does one flatten his skin? Would you mind describing this for me please sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one flatten his skin? Would you mind describing this for me please sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do face contortions, or by pulling lightly to move the skin to a non-angled spot. You might just try not stretching as taunt.

Top Bottom