What's new

Tips for shaving to avoid in growns and razor burn, blackmen

Greetings All,

I am a black man that has just began shaving with a DE Gillette super speed. The first shave went well but I want to avoid any razor bumps or ingrown hairs. I've read many threads and I know that black men are not the only ones troubled by this problem. So, I have a few questions to try get the items I need to become a better wet shaver.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/303020-Question-for-African-American-members

PRESHAVE:

1) I have read that buying a natural boar brush to exfoliate in the shower prior to shaving helps reduce in grown hairs. Is this an essential pre step?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/303020-Question-for-African-American-members

2) I have seen this link many times and I assume this is the natural next step after leaving the shower. Am I correct?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep

3) I tend to have oily skin so is a facial cleanser required to use prior to or after exfoliating with the brush? Are there any suggestions on a good cleanser or facial wash?

4) I was looking for an excellent pre shave oil or cream that is natural without many parabens. I've read about edwin jagger pre shave cream and that it may be good. Are there any other suggestions for me to try?

SHAVE:

1) I have purchased a 40's gillette super speed and I currently have shark blades. Is this a good starting combo?

2) The shaving cream I have ordered is BARC shaving cream. I have read good reviews but wanted to get the forums opinion on this besides what I have read. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/47384-Barc-Cutting-Up-(Skin-Saving)-Shaving-Cream

3) The technique I have seen while shaving was no pressure, no stretching the skin, shave a maximum of twice WTG only while keeping the blade at the appropriate angle of about 30 degrees.

Post SHAVE:

1) Are there any suggestions on natural aftershaves to fight ingrown hairs and razor bumps? Also, would I need a moisturizer to prevent the drying out of skin?

2) Lastly, I saw that to stop one or two ingrown hairs, sterilize the tweezers and remove the hair from inside the skin BUT dont remove from the root. Is this the proper technique? http://barbereile.blogspot.com/2011/04/razor-bumps-and-ingrown-hair.html

Sorry for the long post but I am just trying to consolidate the research and get on the right path to an excellent shave like you fine gentleman and ladies. I also posted the links to things I've covered to give the credit where I found some data.

I'd try cold water shaving since that really helped me with the same problem. As your technique tightens up it gets better. Cold water shaving, no pressure, and only doing a few WTG passes at first could do the trick.

Legion

Staff member
Don't try for BBS, at least to begin with. A DFS might be the key, combined with good ex-foliation after, especially on the neck.

Go easily, and don't stress your skin too much. In the beginning, until you know what you can get away with, it is better to have a slightly less close shave, with no bumps or irritation.

For what it is worth, I have Caucasian hair, but I use to have ingrowns on my neck quite a lot. In the years I have been using a straight razor I have not had a single one.

Just sayin... :wink2:

I would also suggest an adjustable like a merkur futur. You can mess with the settings from a little to a lot of blade exposure to see what works without buying another razor. I would start at the lowest setting wtg and take it from there. Preshave cant hurt either but I would use a water based. Any brush should exfoliate and maybe stick with scentless (I am very sensitive to scents) creams. For after shave, I would recommend jojoba oil as it is as close to natural skin oil as you can find and it will moisturize without clogging pores. Good luck.

Welcome to B & B, blade4. You have some great questions, unfortunately there is no magic product that will give you the perfect shave. You will need to try different things to see what works for you. More importantly, you will need to learn proper lather making, NO PRESSURE (ingrown hair breeder), what direction your hair grows on your face and neck (so you can go WTG, especially when starting), and after shave care (again, finding a product that will compliment your skin). It may take a while, but stick with it and you will be rewarded with a great looking, comfortable shave. Good luck and again welcome!!!

Good afternoon All,
I have saved again and I don't see any razor bumps at all. I have followed this process.

Tools:
Gillette 40's style super speed with shark blade
shea moisture shaving brush
Shea Moisture Preshave oil(waiting on Edwin Jagger pre shave cream)
Barc Shaving Cream
Shea moisture tea tree oil
Shea moisture anti aging lotion

process:
Hot shower to wash face and open pores
Apply preshave oil let it stay for a minute or more
place brush in warm water for a minute or more
make lather and apply
Carefully shave WTG
Rinse later repeat
apply tea tree oil, let it work for a minute or more
apply moisturizer

This isn't a perfect process and I'm slowly refining it. Hopefully with all of your help I'll be able to maintain a DFS. Thanks all

Last edited:
Top Bottom