What's new

Coarse beard razor bump prevention ( African, Indian, Euro ect) info & tips thread.

Before shaving with a DE, I got bumps all the time- even w/ an electric shaver. Since using a DE, I rarely experience a razor bump. However, for those strays, I always dab on uncut 100% tea tree oil to the area twice per day. Normally by the 2nd day, the bump has gone down and the hair can be pulled/tweezed out. Then the area receives a fresh dab of tea tree oil-I still have the original bottle I purchased 10 years ago-not much is needed per dab on a triple size cotton ball.

I also will not shave over that area and give it a chance to calm down.

I am now able to use alcohol based A/S which were a no-no before. I am able to use any of the equipment in my den and can even shave twice a day!

Before DE, while in the military, I had a shaving profile for the majority of my career excepting special days, review and promotion boards where I shaved the morning of and then suffered for the next 2-3 weeks w/ the results. After my honorable, I went to the electric shavers and even Magic Powder (just say NO!) which did not help.

Stick with the DE, develop good prep and don't rush your technique- it takes time for your skin to adjust, but it will. Once that happens, you will find the bumps disappearing and only becoming occasional nuisances.

Heavier DE's ( and those w/ longer handles) seem to work better as they force you to allow the weight of the razor to do the work; Merkur 38C as an example. My main formula is as follows: Mild razor + sharp blade ( Lady Gillette & Feather blade) or aggressive razor + smooth blade ( Muhle R41 2011 & Gillette Silver Blue). The key is to find the combo that works for your face and skin, then stick w/ it-DO NOT CHANGE ANY VARIABLES once you find what works.

After you hit upon the correct formula for your face, then and only then can/should you change 1 thing. You want to develop consistency while allowing the adjustment period. Also, your technique will develop and improve to where you can detect what went wrong with a shave and what to adjust to get back to where you need to be. Once you have your baseline down that produces good to great shaves for you, you can go wild then.

Hope this helps.

marty

Before shaving with a DE, I got bumps all the time- even w/ an electric shaver. Since using a DE, I rarely experience a razor bump. However, for those strays, I always dab on uncut 100% tea tree oil to the area twice per day. Normally by the 2nd day, the bump has gone down and the hair can be pulled/tweezed out. Then the area receives a fresh dab of tea tree oil-I still have the original bottle I purchased 10 years ago-not much is needed per dab on a triple size cotton ball.

I also will not shave over that area and give it a chance to calm down.

I am now able to use alcohol based A/S which were a no-no before. I am able to use any of the equipment in my den and can even shave twice a day!

Before DE, while in the military, I had a shaving profile for the majority of my career excepting special days, review and promotion boards where I shaved the morning of and then suffered for the next 2-3 weeks w/ the results. After my honorable, I went to the electric shavers and even Magic Powder (just say NO!) which did not help.

Stick with the DE, develop good prep and don't rush your technique- it takes time for your skin to adjust, but it will. Once that happens, you will find the bumps disappearing and only becoming occasional nuisances.

Heavier DE's ( and those w/ longer handles) seem to work better as they force you to allow the weight of the razor to do the work; Merkur 38C as an example. My main formula is as follows: Mild razor + sharp blade ( Lady Gillette & Feather blade) or aggressive razor + smooth blade ( Muhle R41 2011 & Gillette Silver Blue). The key is to find the combo that works for your face and skin, then stick w/ it-DO NOT CHANGE ANY VARIABLES once you find what works.

After you hit upon the correct formula for your face, then and only then can/should you change 1 thing. You want to develop consistency while allowing the adjustment period. Also, your technique will develop and improve to where you can detect what went wrong with a shave and what to adjust to get back to where you need to be. Once you have your baseline down that produces good to great shaves for you, you can go wild then.

Hope this helps.

marty
Marty
this is some great insght and useful info. How did you discover the tea oil would work?

Marty
this is some great insght and useful info. How did you discover the tea oil would work?

I was reading up on essential oils while hunting for the original version of Coates Tea Tree Oil shave cream. One thing led to another( as the google rabbit hole will do) and all the info was talking about tea tree oil being a natural antiseptic. I then started checking many of the items that were sold as "bump fighters" and found they contained tea tree oil with other ingredients.

I figured why buy their product when I could get the source for less, bought a bottle in the organic section of my grocery store and as they say, the rest is history- as the bumps are also.

marty

Avoiding bumps for me is quite simple: don't shave too close.

With a DE this is possible where as a cartridge razor will pull the hair and cut it below skin level, so step one is only use a DE. Avoiding a too close shave is really just as case of not being greedy, don't go ATG on your problem areas, and make sure your prep is good so that you're not pulling the hair.

I learned quite a bit reading this thread! Thanks to everyone for the great info! I found that OSMA blocks and Witch Hazel helped me.

Avoiding bumps for me is quite simple: don't shave too close.

With a DE this is possible where as a cartridge razor will pull the hair and cut it below skin level, so step one is only use a DE. Avoiding a too close shave is really just as case of not being greedy, don't go ATG on your problem areas, and make sure your prep is good so that you're not pulling the hair.

exactly!
don't be a BBS tryhard. in my case as a time went i noticed i can get BBS easily but i got much more bumps. what helped me:
find a very efficient (agressive) razor and tame it properly (Schick Injector E3 works best for me)
instead of stretching skin just flatten it
skip ATG pass - go WTG-XTG-touchup (DFS easily) or WTG-XTG-XTG(DFS or BBS) max

I learned quite a bit reading this thread! Thanks to everyone for the great info! I found that OSMA blocks and Witch Hazel helped me.
Very good info here. Too bad he's leaving the White soon. ....oh wait that's Obama not Osma :laugh:

I was reading up on essential oils while hunting for the original version of Coates Tea Tree Oil shave cream. One thing led to another( as the google rabbit hole will do) and all the info was talking about tea tree oil being a natural antiseptic. I then started checking many of the items that were sold as "bump fighters" and found they contained tea tree oil with other ingredients.

I figured why buy their product when I could get the source for less, bought a bottle in the organic section of my grocery store and as they say, the rest is history- as the bumps are also.

marty
Thanks for sharing your discovery, this is vital ingredient that seems to work since it's a staple in bump fighting products.

I'm going to have to try #5 Cold water shaves. I have extremely coarse/ fast growing hairs and never go ATG. Thank you for mentioning the cold water approach! thanks
  1. NO ATG. EVER. I'M SERIOUS.
  2. Limit number of passes. Single WTG pass is ideal. Try a more aggressive razor if you can't get close enough with a single pass.
  3. Tend Skin. I make a homemade version using a recipe I found online.
  4. Synthetic brushes. I've found that stiffer brushes tend to irritate and inflame my large follicles.
  5. Cold Water. Warm or hot water swells the skin and gives hairs more opportunity to curl back in.
  6. Moisturizer as both pre and post shave. I use Nivea Creme.
  7. Fresh blade every shave. Every other shave at the absolute most.

I'm going to have to try #5 Cold water shaves. I have extremely coarse/ fast growing hairs and never go ATG. Thank you for mentioning the cold water approach! thanks

All I know is it definitely helps for me. As soon as I try to cheat I end up with breakouts. It's not the most pleasant experience at first, but you do get used to, and it definitely wakes you up and gets you ready for the day, especially if you're a morning shaver and you shower after your shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago when I was in the USAF, we dispensed a lot of surgical scrub brushes, mostly to black airmen, with instructions to brush their face several times daily to help orientate the grain or direction the beard grew in. Our dermatologist claimed it helped.

Years ago when I was in the USAF, we dispensed a lot of surgical scrub brushes, mostly to black airmen, with instructions to brush their face several times daily to help orientate the grain or direction the beard grew in. Our dermatologist claimed it helped.

False. You can't "encourage" beard growth direction one way or the other. The follicles determine that, and you can't change those. What it "might" help with is an exfoliating factor. Some people find exfoliation helps release trapped hairs from under the skin, thus improving any razor bump issues. I have the opposite experience. Exfoliation actually irritates my follicles leading to more inflammation and more problems.

Hello all,
I made this video in an effort to demonstrate the use and benefits of my favorite shaving tool, the DE razor. Just a little advance warning...the video is kinda long.

False. You can't "encourage" beard growth direction one way or the other. The follicles determine that, and you can't change those. What it "might" help with is an exfoliating factor. Some people find exfoliation helps release trapped hairs from under the skin, thus improving any razor bump issues. I have the opposite experience. Exfoliation actually irritates my follicles leading to more inflammation and more problems.
Thanks for the advise, the members will surely appreciate it.

Hello all,
I made this video in an effort to demonstrate the use and benefits of my favorite shaving tool, the DE razor. Just a little advance warning...the video is kinda long.

Excellent and superior video, I don't think it's long at all. The head shaving part was very instructional too....also, thanks for the military service.

Hello all,

That's a good vid. I am sure that many guys here will appreciate it.

Excellent and superior video, I don't think it's long at all. The head shaving part was very instructional too....also, thanks for the military service.
Thanks! This was my first time in front of the camera and my first attempt at video editing. You're quite welcome!

Top Bottom