What's new

Coarse beard razor bump prevention ( African, Indian, Euro ect) info & tips thread.

This is almost word for word what I would have suggested. One pass would be ideal but I absolutely have to do two passes because I have thick, dark hair and even if I were to shave against the grain and get a totally smooth shave, you would still clearly see my beard.

I love my synthetic brushes, especially my Whipped Dog because it's as soft as a pillow and it plays nicely with my sensitive skin. I can't even tolerate a little bit of scratchiness and the less backbone for me, the better. Larry listened to my request and accommodated me as best as he could, finding me a soft knot with just the right amount of backbone.

I can't stress number 6 enough. A lot of people write off pre-shave but it's incredibly important for me. Some have the wrong idea about pre-shave. It's not meant to replace the lather's job of providing slickness. It's simply a moisturizer that increases comfort for those who have very dry skin like me. Scraping dry skin with a sharp blade never turns out nicely, hence pre-shave whether it be some kind of oil or cream. Just ensure that it's something that's absorbed into the skin, not something that sits on top of the skin and ruins the lather like some super oily pre-shaves.

I still get lots of pain and razor bumps every single shave but with the right tools, it has been drastically improved. The blades that work best for me are either extremely sharp like Feathers or they have some silky smooth coating like Voskhods. Also be weary of certain fragrances in soaps that can cause milk allergic reactions, which leads to bigger problems that you'll notice later on.

Are they any brands that are more prevalent than others that u can name that gave you allergic reactions .

It's not the brand so much as it is the particular fragrance. I haven't done a ton of testing yet since I've been mostly sticking to the same soaps since I switched to a safety razor, but my skin seems to have at least a mild reaction to most fragrances. Spice blends and strong musky scents are not friends with freshly shaven skin in my case. Even citrus scents can be an irritant for me, although they seem to be milder.

I think that unscented stuff would be ideal but that's too boring and I'm stubborn. As I slowly branch out and try more soaps, I'll be able to make a big list of the stuff that smells good and that hopefully still works for me.

It's not the brand so much as it is the particular fragrance. I haven't done a ton of testing yet since I've been mostly sticking to the same soaps since I switched to a safety razor, but my skin seems to have at least a mild reaction to most fragrances. Spice blends and strong musky scents are not friends with freshly shaven skin in my case. Even citrus scents can be an irritant for me, although they seem to be milder.

I think that unscented stuff would be ideal but that's too boring and I'm stubborn. As I slowly branch out and try more soaps, I'll be able to make a big list of the stuff that smells good and that hopefully still works for me.
Thanks for your informative response . Have you thought about organic as a alternative ?

Thanks for your informative response . Have you thought about organic as a alternative ?

I think that artisan soaps are organic. I've used soaps from the same artisan that worked and others that burned. For example, the fougère from one artisan was perfectly fine but some of their other soaps like a green apple and musk scented soap caused quite a bit of irritation that exacerbated the razor bumps. I have yet to try any factory soaps but I actually think that I might have better luck with them since they are mass produced and expected to cater to a wider audience.

I think that artisan soaps are organic. I've used soaps from the same artisan that worked and others that burned. For example, the fougère from one artisan was perfectly fine but some of their other soaps like a green apple and musk scented soap caused quite a bit of irritation that exacerbated the razor bumps. I have yet to try any factory soaps but I actually think that I might have better luck with them since they are mass produced and expected to cater to a wider audience.
Interesting.
Keep us updated on any new findings that can be beneficial to other members :thumbup:

This thread is dedicated to helping those with tough coarse beards/hairs that may experience razor bumps or other irritation issues from shaving. :thumbup1:

Please pass on any family secrets, ideas, techniques , shave gear usage, or anything that may help others. What may help you can help thousands of others too.

....Just info and help posts only!
:thumbup:

There are many tips to try, I see many have come to the same conclusions I have. A few that helped me with a thick beard and sensitive skin, yet I really enjoy a bbs shave. Here are a few suggestions I found helped over time.

Don't worry so much about a bbs shave, it will come in time and the right combination equipment, and skill.

Use a razor that is a bit more aggressive, but do fewer passes. Going over it many times is irritating to the skin. Avoid going against the grain, though I do anyway sometimes and over time my skin is becoming more resistant. I also find a slant razor more efficient, and less irritating.

Use the slickest soaps you can find. Mikes naturals, and Stirling are two I have good luck with.

Pre-shave, I use Noxzema with good results, and sometimes a glycerin based pre-shave. I have little success with oils etc.

Shave after a shower preferably, if not use hot washcloth to steam the beard for a few minutes, and pre-clean is not a bad idea as well.

After shave: First I splash my face with cold water, then apply an astringing agent like witch hazel, or lucky tiger which helps me, and a good aftershave balm, nivea is one I think is good. I even use PAA daily driver for a quick pass after a shave sometimes, and it is very soothing. Also I apply this in the evening, as a pre-prep for the next shave. I think it is good stuff, just give it a little time to stop being a little tacky.

Aftershave: I don't apply alcohol based aftershaves to anywhere I shaved. enough said about that.
Other than that, go lightly with the blade. Only you know how many passes is right for your skin. Just don't go too aggressive with the razor.

Best of luck, and happy shaving.

Don't worry so much about a bbs shave, it will come in time and the right combination equipment, and skill.

Use a razor that is a bit more aggressive, but do fewer passes. Going over it many times is irritating to the skin. Avoid going against the grain, though I do anyway sometimes and over time my skin is becoming more resistant.

I think that chasing a perfectly smooth shave is always a bad idea now matter how tough your skin is. For me, I gave up chasing smooth shaves a while ago as I traded closeness for comfort.

I almost never shave against the grain but if I attempt it on special occasions, I find that using a milder razor helps. I use an adjustable razor that I received not too long ago and toning it down allows me to attempt more aggressive directions like ATG. With a comfortable blade and a very mild setting (think 3 or lower on a Gillette adjustable), I can be a lot more ambitious without risking a bad case of razor bumps or irritation.

I used to get razor bumps with cartridges if I didn't shave everyday or every other day.

Since I've been shaving with a DE(3 years now), I haven't had any razor bumps.

With a cartridge, I never shaved ATG.

With the DE, I've always shaved ATG. I've always used a preshave oil with DE. I always wash my face with a face soap before I shave with DE.

Shaving WTG lays the stubble down as it cuts. I believe shaving ATG stands the stubble back up.

I shave everyday, missing a day occasionally. I only use 48-50 Gillette TTO's lately. Great rigidity and enough blade exposure to get BBS results everyday. ATG is smooth.

Occasionally I will get "a" bump, doubt it is from stubble though.

There are many tips to try, I see many have come to the same conclusions I have. A few that helped me with a thick beard and sensitive skin, yet I really enjoy a bbs shave. Here are a few suggestions I found helped over time.

Use a razor that is a bit more aggressive, but do fewer passes. Going over it many times is irritating to the skin. Avoid going against the grain, though I do anyway sometimes and over time my skin is becoming more resistant. I also find a slant razor more efficient, and less irritating.

Use the slickest soaps you can find. Mikes naturals, and Stirling are two I have good luck with.

Pre-shave, I use Noxzema with good results, and sometimes a glycerin based pre-shave. I have little success with oils etc.

Shave after a shower preferably, if not use hot washcloth to steam the beard for a few minutes, and pre-clean is not a bad idea as well.

After shave: First I splash my face with cold water, then apply an astringing agent like witch hazel, or lucky tiger which helps me, and a good aftershave balm, nivea is one I think is good. I even use PAA daily driver for a quick pass after a shave sometimes, and it is very soothing. Also I apply this in the evening, as a pre-prep for the next shave. I think it is good stuff, just give it a little time to stop being a little tacky.

Aftershave: I don't apply alcohol based aftershaves to anywhere I shaved. enough said about that.
Other than that, go lightly with the blade. Only you know how many passes is right for your skin. Just don't go too aggressive with the razor.

Best of luck, and happy shaving.
Thanks Baldie, superb information for others to read. Cold water splash is key for me too.

This thread is dedicated to helping those with tough coarse beards/hairs that may experience razor bumps or other irritation issues from shaving. :thumbup1:

Please pass on any family secrets, ideas, techniques , shave gear usage, or anything that may help others. What may help you can help thousands of others too.

....Just info and help posts only!
:thumbup:
Oh, I almost forgot. One technique which seems to help me is to gently pull the skin especially in troublesome areas taught, and go over those areas very lightly (let the equipment do the work). I seem to get a very close shave with a minimal irritation. Put a little pressure for example on your jaw or above your cheek and gently stretch to shave your cheek, or your chest just below the neck to pull the skin a little more taught. It makes a difference. I suspect that it allows for a flatter surface so it can cut the whiskers without taking layers of your skin with it. Best of luck. In time your skin does thicken, and become a little less prone to problems, so hang in there. Happy Shaving, and merry Christmas! :cuppa:

Another thought, maybe more important than my others.

Only vary one thing at a time, and make sure you give it a couple of weeks before deciding whether it was helpful or not.

These "bumps" - do they have a direction to them?
By that I mean are they similar to stubble that you can feel by rubbing ATG, but WTG feels perfectly smooth?

No direction for me. I actually can't feel razor bumps as well as I can see them. They aren't very pronounced but they are very visible due to their redness.

Oh, I almost forgot. One technique which seems to help me is to gently pull the skin especially in troublesome areas taught, and go over those areas very lightly (let the equipment do the work). I seem to get a very close shave with a minimal irritation. Put a little pressure for example on your jaw or above your cheek and gently stretch to shave your cheek, or your chest just below the neck to pull the skin a little more taught. It makes a difference. I suspect that it allows for a flatter surface so it can cut the whiskers without taking layers of your skin with it. Best of luck. In time your skin does thicken, and become a little less prone to problems, so hang in there. Happy Shaving, and merry Christmas! :cuppa:
Thanks for adding these key helpful points. Stretching seems to ease some issues, I do both stretch and a X shave pass at troublesome areas

Another thought, maybe more important than my others.

Only vary one thing at a time, and make sure you give it a couple of weeks before deciding whether it was helpful or not.
This is one of the most important processes that must be adhered to in order to access the progress of the technique. Thanks for sharing this key point.

These "bumps" - do they have a direction to them?
By that I mean are they similar to stubble that you can feel by rubbing ATG, but WTG feels perfectly smooth?
razor bumpforms when a hair that has been cut off close to the surface of the face turns around and begins growing back into the skin.

No direction for me. I actually can't feel razor bumps as well as I can see them. They aren't very pronounced but they are very visible due to their redness.
Thanks for the post, hopefully this thread will help you and others.

Top Bottom