What's new

Clubman Bay Rum vs Floïd Genuine as first iconic aftershave

So, I have been using different cheap aftershave splashes but now I've decided to finally get something worthy. I'm considering Clubman Bay Rum or Floïd Genuine.

People say that Floïd smells more modern and crisp than Bay Rum, though they both can make you smell like an old man. I don't mind smelling like that. Also I'm a fan of menthol and would like to know about the cooling properties of these aftershaves as well as which one is better for the skin in general.

I want to know your opinion on what aftershave will give the best first fine aftershave experience.

Last edited:
I know you didn’t ask, but I would actually recommend the original Pinaud Clubman as your first purchase from Clubman. It is a classic that everyone should try, IMO. It’s a classic fougere scent, and punches way above its price point.

It seems that you like menthol, however, and Floid has it, and Clubman doesn’t, so you might be better off with that as a first purchase.

Other mentholated classics to consider are Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and Proraso green. My friend @Marco and I are huge fans of Proraso green. Proraso green also leaves the face feeling wonderfully refreshed and supple.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I know you didn’t ask, but I would actually recommend the original Pinaud Clubman as your first purchase from Clubman. It is a classic that everyone should try, IMO. It’s a classic fougere scent, and punches way above its price point.

It seems that you like menthol, however, and Floid has it, and Clubman doesn’t, so you might be better off with that as a first purchase.

Other mentholated classics to consider are Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and Proraso green. My friend @Marco and I are huge fans of Proraso green. Proraso green also leaves the face feeling wonderfully refreshed and supple.
Ohhh, yes!!

Welcome to B&B, Sir TheMainTeaDude!
FWIW, if you like menthol, my strong reco would be Floïd Genuine!
Certainly a few more $ than Clubman, but totally worth it, IMHO!
Enjoy your explorations!!

trumper's almond shavemac gillette floid original santa maria novella september 14 2021.jpg

Pinaud Clubman is definitely a great choice, very much iconic and a unique scent.
The Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is not all bad, but very heavy on the clove. I'm not a great fan, of course ymmv.
Luckily you can test drive them for little money by getting the small 50ml bottles.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to B&B, Sir TheMainTeaDude!
FWIW, if you like menthol, my strong reco would be Floïd Genuine!
Certainly a few more $ than Clubman, but totally worth it, IMHO!
Enjoy your explorations!!

View attachment 1537591
Here in Italy it's Pinaud Clubman to be more expensive (and available only on-line) than Floid!

P.S. Magnificent photo as always, my friend. :thumbup1:

Went to a local Vancouver barber yesterday and they had a bottle of Clubman on the counter.
I had never used it, so I took a sniff, but I can’t say it did impress me. :wink2:

For me either the new Floïd from Italy, or the old Floïd from Spain (Floïd Vigoroso), or similar products from Myrsol (Myrsol F/Extra) or Epsilon (Amber) win hands down.

Just my personal take on things, as I know that some people love Clubman dearly…

B.

Hey everybody, I've decided to go with bay rum first after all.
Had a shave with it yesterday. Turns out I really dig the scent of it - sweet and spicy yet fresh and not too intense.
Thanks you guys for your opinions. I think I'm still going to get a bottle of Floïd later on.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hey everybody, I've decided to go with bay rum first after all.
Had a shave with it yesterday. Turns out I really dig the scent of it - sweet and spicy yet fresh and not too intense.
Thanks you guys for your opinions. I think I'm still going to get a bottle of Floïd later on.

Glad you like it.

The great thing about bay rum is that there are lots of versions out there to try.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
PAA has a Pinaud Clubman knockoff that's mentholated called Clubguy. Might be worth a look. I'm a big fan of Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum, but...the truth is, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's nothing like any real Bay Rum on the market...heavy in the clove and cinnamon. Think Old Spice plus a Christmas Ham. I'm waiting for a bottle of Floid the Genuine myself. Ordered it about a week ago. Hear nothing but good things about it. Best of luck with your choice.

As most everyone says, get that bottle of Pinaud Clubman. I have my bottle decanted into a large glass Tabasco bottle. It's been a couple of years and I'm still waiting for it to smell great. For some reason it reminds me of the old Coppertone Sun Tan Lotion baked in asphalt, but with a powdery finish. :)

Pinaud Bay Rum burns with the fires of a 1000 Hells which means it is good stuff. I love it. It is the fastest I have ever been through an aftershave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pinaud Bay Rum burns with the fires of a 1000 Hells which means it is good stuff. I love it. It is the fastest I have ever been through an aftershave.

I love the scent of it...but I'm almost positive that there's no pimento racemosa in it at all. I'll always have a bottle of it though.

If you like Pinaud Bay Rum, then you would LOVE Bootleggers Bay Rum. You will need to mix it yourself though. Equal parts of Pinaud Bay Rum, Superior 70 Bay Rum, and Masters Bay Rum.

Pinaud adds just the right amount of spice, Superior 70 is the most genuine bay rum in the group, and Masters is extremely mild in scent but adds a load of glycerine to sooth the whole package.

Bootleggers gets a lot of respect here on B&B.

Top Bottom