What's new

Clog pruf or micromatic?

I have a micromatic bullet-tip (plastic tip) with no sign of a magic eye or bullseye. There's a picture of it on the wiki. I figure it was probably wartime production, and the plastic tip was done to save a little metal, but I don't know why it doesn't have the magic eye.

Would you be interested in trading that ivory tip Micromatic? Or would you be interested in trading for the case that goes with it?

Would you be interested in trading that ivory tip Micromatic? Or would you be interested in trading for the case that goes with it?

MrGuy has dibs on it, but I'd be happy to set up a trade if he decides he doesn't want it. Or he might want to talk to you about that case.

I'd be interested in your opinion of its value, too. I'd say it's only in good (4) condition by the guidelines. There's a single spot of oxidation visible on the underside, about 5mm along the pivot rod for the TTO mechanism. There's another 1-2 mm of brassing on the back of the head, where the blade shield rubs against the back of the head. The plating is otherwise intact, but shows wear. So while it shaves well, I wouldn't normally think this would be collectible.

MrGuy has dibs on it, but I'd be happy to set up a trade if he decides he doesn't want it. Or he might want to talk to you about that case.

I'd be interested in your opinion of its value, too. I'd say it's only in good (4) condition by the guidelines. There's a single spot of oxidation visible on the underside, about 5mm along the pivot rod for the TTO mechanism. There's another 1-2 mm of brassing on the back of the head, where the blade shield rubs against the back of the head. The plating is otherwise intact, but shows wear. So while it shaves well, I wouldn't normally think this would be collectible.

Okay, sounds good.

Andy, let me know if you might be interested in the case. It is an ivory colored bakelite case that matches the color of the knob. I found it with a 1947 SS calling it home several moths back. I have been looking for a suitable razor ever since.

I have a micromatic bullet-tip (plastic tip) with no sign of a magic eye or bullseye. There's a picture of it on the wiki. I figure it was probably wartime production, and the plastic tip was done to save a little metal, but I don't know why it doesn't have the magic eye.

The Magic Eye or bullseye is a 'bullet-tip' but not all 'bullet-tips' are Magic Eye. The Bullseye emerged about '48 or a little earlier and was in a styrene case. The pre-bullseye 'bullet-tips' were in cardboard packaging.

-- John Gehman

The Magic Eye or bullseye is a 'bullet-tip' but not all 'bullet-tips' are Magic Eye. The Bullseye emerged about '48 or a little earlier and was in a styrene case. The pre-bullseye 'bullet-tips' were in cardboard packaging.

Thanks for the history. AsylumGuido, does that mean your case is for a different razor?

Are these your pictures, and if so, do you release copyright on them so we can add them to the wiki? (or, you can add them to the wiki if you wouldn't mind).
My photos, so no copyright and you can use them if you want. I just checked the wiki though and there's already a photo of the clog pruf there.

Thanks for the history. AsylumGuido, does that mean your case is for a different razor?

Nope. The ivory tipped Micromatics may have came in at least two cases that I know of. My case is exactly like the one pictured below with the set.

proxy.php

It also may have come in this styrene case in gold, but I can't be sure.

proxy.php

Top Bottom