What's new

Choosing a Lupo

The blade gap isn´t the only parameter for "aggressiveness".
While changing the geometry to increase the blade gap, it could very possibly be that the .95 has a smaller blade exposure.
Just like the Carbon Cx plates are designed...
I guess that your skin is more sensitive to blade exposure than blade gap.
(it could be the reason, but I´m not 100% sure that the .95 plate has a smaller blade exposure)

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. The larger gap changes the blade exposure (or even the shaving angle) to something I get along with better. Whatever it is, I'm happy with the 95 and the experience has shown me that a larger blade gap does not necessarily mean more aggression. As a matter of fact, I find the Windor CR1 slightly more aggressive than the 95 Lupo and it only has a .58 blade gap ( or something close to that). Provides great shaves though.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Does anyone know if RazoRock plans on releasing straight 72 or 95 OC baseplates for the Lupo (not dual comb)? Sorry if this has been answered previously.

I inquired about this to RazoRock and they responded that they have no immediate plans to do so...but you never know. Their response, not mine.

I inquired about this to RazoRock and they responded that they have no immediate plans to do so...but you never know. Their response, not mine.
That is too bad. As many around here will testify, the WR1 (which the Lupo is reportedly a clone) excels with the OC baseplate. I have to believe that having only a dual comb to go with the SB's is limiting its potential.

That is too bad. As many around here will testify, the WR1 (which the Lupo is reportedly a clone) excels with the OC baseplate. I have to believe that having only a dual comb to go with the SB's is limiting its potential.
just a note: it is not identical to the WR1, I think there was some discussion about the improvements/differences in the Lupo thread. I only have the Lupo 95, so I cannot tell if there is any difference, but I can't complain about the 95 SB :)

I prefer a tech. That said, I have both the 72 and the 95 and I much prefer the 95. It is very efficient and has some blade feel but it does not leave irritation. It also doesn't shred my face. It is a marvel and I would highly recommend it.

I've heard this from several people. Is it possible that the Lupo 95 has less blade exposure but more gap than the Lupo 72? At the end of the day, blade exposure is the key determinant of efficiency/aggressiveness. A Muhle R41 will take your face off despite it's 0.3mm gap. It's exasperating that most razor makers keep blade exposure a secret, while listing "gap", which is largely irrelevant to efficiency.

just a note: it is not identical to the WR1, I think there was some discussion about the improvements/differences in the Lupo thread. I only have the Lupo 95, so I cannot tell if there is any difference, but I can't complain about the 95 SB :)
It is funny you say that, because to me, they don't look similar at all. If even close to the WR1, the Lupo is a great razor. That is why I am tempted to give it shot, but wanted an OC over an SB, but might pull the trigger on the dual. Firmly on the fence today.

It is funny you say that, because to me, they don't look similar at all. If even close to the WR1, the Lupo is a great razor. That is why I am tempted to give it shot, but wanted an OC over an SB, but might pull the trigger on the dual. Firmly on the fence today.
Just to tempt you and push you off the fence:) Lupo dc with timeless titanium handle. The oc side is great.
20210531_162155.jpg

I have the Aluminium Lupo which is suppossedly a .72 and also the stainless Steel Lupo with the Dual Comb. Frankly, I don't find the Lupo aggressive at all. In terms of efficiency, I actually prefer the .72 OC side as it gives me more bladefeel and higher efficiency than the .95 side. for anyone wanting high efficiency shaves I think the DC head is quite ideal. Unless Razorock releases an OC .95, I would say this is easily the 2nd best razor EVER from Razorock. The best in terms of sheer shaving prowess would be the Wunderbar. But I digress :)

If there was a 95 OC, I would have probably got that. From the current lineup I decided to get the 95 SB(against to the DC) as that was said to be the most efficient and also the smoothest. I had to choose one as the baseplates are note sold separately here(EU). Btw, if I could choose, I would have got the ti handle with it (or sg light). The HD handle (again the only choice here) is decent, but the weight of the Ti is probably more ideal with this head.

I've heard this from several people. Is it possible that the Lupo 95 has less blade exposure but more gap than the Lupo 72? At the end of the day, blade exposure is the key determinant of efficiency/aggressiveness. A Muhle R41 will take your face off despite it's 0.3mm gap. It's exasperating that most razor makers keep blade exposure a secret, while listing "gap", which is largely irrelevant to efficiency.

interesting I wonder if there is more or less blade exposure... This might be a good email to Razorock

Regarding the design of CNC machined razors
which clamp the blade between inclined surfaces ( located both at cap and baseplate ) and close to the blade’s edges :

Increasing the blade gap is accomplished by lowering the bars (or combs) ,away from the baseplates clamping (inclined) surfaces.
But doing that blade exposure is also
increased ,as the shave plane has tilted upwards.

In order to compensate or decrease the blade exposure in such case ,the bars (or combs) have to extend outwards .
The distance from bar edge
to the other bar’s edge is increased
(the head has more width ) .

Or change the blade angle itself .
That’s another way .
The more the bend on the blade,
the lower the blade exposure.

So in order for
the Lupo 72 to have bigger
exposure than the Lupo 95 ,either
the Lupo 95 is wider than the Lupo 72
(95 has longer distance from bar edge to bar edge than the 72);

or the 95 bends more the blade than
the 72 - handle fully tightened
( has a shallower blade angle ) .

Karve baseplates ,when compared
are a very good example of the above.
Same with Wolfman razors ,Razorock ,etc.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the Lupo 95 has less blade exposure but more gap than the Lupo 72? At the end of the day, blade exposure is the key determinant of efficiency/aggressiveness.

The response from Razorock and ItalianBarber state that the "exposure is roughtly the same but the gap is larger on the 95, it makes it more aggressive"

Aha! I wondered if that wasn't the case. That's great to know. Although now I have to figure out how to get my hands on a .95 baseplate, which I'm guessing is unobtanium. At any rate, thanks for looking into this with Italian Barber!

With that information, would you suggest a Lupo .72 or a .95? Maybe I answered my own question and .72 would be better suited.

If you have a RR Game Changer .68-P, pick yourself up a pack of Kai blades for $2.50. The Kai blade adds an extra .11mm of exposure to any razor (many thanks to @Ron R for this great idea 👍). This increases blade exposure of the GC .68-P from -0.05mm to +0.06 mm. With a Kai, the GC .68 is utterly indistinguishable from the Lupo .72. I've done several side-by-side shaves with the two razors (one razor on the left side of the face, the other razor on the right) and I really can't tell which razor is which. If you like one, you'll like the other.

Last edited:
The Lupo .72 consistently gives me super smooth BBS results with absolutely no irritation. On its beautiful Bamboo handle, it is extremely well balanced and feels amazingly “natural” in my right hand. Now, since I played some awesome golf a few days ago, and won a hundred bucks in two matches, I'm probably going to buy the Lupo DC, simply because I deserve it. LOL. :biggrin1::biggrin1:. Hey, c'mon now, a guy could never have too many razors, right ?

So, .... I just spent the hundred bucks I won playing golf ! Another purchase from Italian Barber.
SS Lupo DC razor with the Bulldog handle, and the "Dead Sea" soap and A/S splash combo pack.
Exactly $ 100.97 :a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:
And .... all with my sweet wife's loving encouragement. Ahhhhh ... Life is good ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom