What's new

Choosing a Lupo

I just received the 95 baseplate and I've had a couple of shaves on the 72 already. I must say I'm very surprised at how smooth the 95 was. I prefer milder razors, and love my Mamba 63, which is the mildest of RR razors according to their scale, and the Lupo 95 is the most aggressive; however, I found the Lupo 95 to be very mild feeling and smooth with not much, if any, blade feel. I was already in love with the 72 and now the 95 seems just as smooth and easy on the skin but even more efficient.

I'm very impressed with this model, but considering that's it's supposed to be a copy of Wolman it's I can see why it's so good.

I prefer a tech. That said, I have both the 72 and the 95 and I much prefer the 95. It is very efficient and has some blade feel but it does not leave irritation. It also doesn't shred my face. It is a marvel and I would highly recommend it.

Does the 72 irritate your face? Or is it that the 72 is closer to the Tech?

I haven't tried the Lupo .95, but the .72 has quickly become one of my favorite razors, especially loaded with a Gillette Nacet blade. To keep things in proper perspective, my other “favorites“ include my Timeless Bronze SB and my Rockwell 6C (plate 4). I am also lucky enough to enjoy my Timeless Aluminum, RazoRock Old Type, and RazoRock SS Hawk V3. The Lupo .72 consistently gives me super smooth BBS results with absolutely no irritation. On its beautiful Bamboo handle, it is extremely well balanced and feels amazingly “natural” in my right hand. Now, since I played some awesome golf a few days ago, and won a hundred bucks in two matches, I'm probably going to buy the Lupo DC, simply because I deserve it. LOL. :biggrin1::biggrin1:. Hey, c'mon now, a guy could never have too many razors, right ?

I know you asked someone else, but I had a similar experience. The 72 lupo irritated my face for some reason while the 95 is still super smooth without the irritation. Much better plate for me. I don't really understand why the 95 would be more comfortable than the 72, but it is much better for me.

Thank you!

I know you asked someone else, but I had a similar experience. The 72 lupo irritated my face for some reason while the 95 is still super smooth without the irritation. Much better plate for me. I don't really understand why the 95 would be more comfortable than the 72, but it is much better for me.

It's possible that the 72 was pulling more than cutting. Do you have issues with mild razors in general, or was it just the 72? You might want to try a different blade on the 72 to see if it works better. Sometimes finding that combo of razor and blade makes a world of difference.

It's possible that the 72 was pulling more than cutting. Do you have issues with mild razors in general, or was it just the 72? You might want to try a different blade on the 72 to see if it works better. Sometimes finding that combo of razor and blade makes a world of difference.

I tried several different blades and all were the same....irritation. I don't typically have issues with mild razors so not sure why the 72 bothered me. It definitely was cutting...results were smooth, but skin was left irritated. The 95 shaves just as smooth as the 72, just as close (or closer) without said irritation. It's an anomaly.

I tried several different blades and all were the same....irritation. I don't typically have issues with mild razors so not sure why the 72 bothered me. It definitely was cutting...results were smooth, but skin was left irritated. The 95 shaves just as smooth as the 72, just as close (or closer) without said irritation. It's an anomaly.

Well at least the 95 works out well and it's definitely a nice smooth shaver so you can really enjoy it!

Maybe the rigid blade design hides the efficiency feel. You are not able to feel the blade as much. As a result you might use more pressure on the 72 . I experianced this with my tatara razor, when using a combination quite similar to the lupo (nodachi top cap, masamune base plate). It felt great during the shave, but post shave was not that good. I am not shure how much positive blade exposure the lupo 72 has. I like the open comb side best. I would like to see a full 72 open comb lupo head.

M

member 119848

I have the Lupo .72 and I´m very satisfied with it.
I had the Rockwell once, but sold it to move on into Timeless razors. I love using the Timeless bronze SB, titanium .68 & SLim plates. I would rate the Lupo with the same stars as a Timeless razor as far as how good it shaves. They are different razors obviously, but they´re just as good IMO.
I´m making a bold statement but the Lupo is one of the best 3 razors I have ever tried. 🙂

About the blade gaps options...
I shave everyday, and I never grow my beard more than 48 hours. All I can tell is that the .72 plate is efficient enough for me.

Whatever setup you choose, Razorock also offers a plate sold separately. So if you get yourself a Lupo you may later on buy the other plate for the sake of variety (or curiosity).

Maybe the rigid blade design hides the efficiency feel. You are not able to feel the blade as much. As a result you might use more pressure on the 72 . I experianced this with my tatara razor, when using a combination quite similar to the lupo (nodachi top cap, masamune base plate). It felt great during the shave, but post shave was not that good. I am not shure how much positive blade exposure the lupo 72 has. I like the open comb side best. I would like to see a full 72 open comb lupo head.

I guess that's a possible theory. I too have the Tatara and have tried all baseplate/top cap combinations from full Masamune to full Nodachi and never experienced any issues. As a matter of fact the Nodachi setup is turning out to be the best performing razor I have. I find it very smooth, comfortable and efficient. I have the Masamune handle with all the solid bar options.....love it.

There is just something about the 72 Lupo that doesn't agree with me that doesn't rear its head in the 95 version. Maybe it's something I'm doing, but I shave the same way with the 95 without any irritation. I'm happy with the 95. It punches well above its price point and will stay in my rotation. The 72 plate will remain in the drawer.

Neither irritate my face, the main differences between the 72 and the 95 is the 72 has less blade feel and takes a bit more effort to get your face smooth.

Neither really feel like a tech. The 72 has more blade feel than the tech.

Thank you!

I guess that's a possible theory. I too have the Tatara and have tried all baseplate/top cap combinations from full Masamune to full Nodachi and never experienced any issues. As a matter of fact the Nodachi setup is turning out to be the best performing razor I have. I find it very smooth, comfortable and efficient. I have the Masamune handle with all the solid bar options.....love it.

There is just something about the 72 Lupo that doesn't agree with me that doesn't rear its head in the 95 version. Maybe it's something I'm doing, but I shave the same way with the 95 without any irritation. I'm happy with the 95. It punches well above its price point and will stay in my rotation. The 72 plate will remain in the drawer.
If you have not tried the open comb tatara base plates, they are better than the sb plates (in my opinion). They clamp the blade even stiffer. Handle weight also factor in.
The lupo 95 is greate. I use my dual comb for travelling i.e. not that much:)

M

member 119848

The blade gap isn´t the only parameter for "aggressiveness".
While changing the geometry to increase the blade gap, it could very possibly be that the .95 has a smaller blade exposure.
Just like the Carbon Cx plates are designed...
I guess that your skin is more sensitive to blade exposure than blade gap.
(it could be the reason, but I´m not 100% sure that the .95 plate has a smaller blade exposure)

Top Bottom