What's new

Chess Thread

I had played during the 60's and 70's with school chums but left it behind for music and other teen interests as well as moving on to adult life with family, work, bills etc. I had never belonged to a chess club before but I joined a local one in our town when I retired. I thought it would be like the images we see in movies where the players gather in a room and play quietly, concentrate on the game and remain respectful of each other and the other players in the room. It's nothing like that at all. Lot's of cross-talk. Lots of self appointed aficionados who rarely if ever play a game but wander around from table to table and "coach" other players' moves as they're about to make them. Granted, it's a club for enthusiasts to improve their play, but I find it rude when no one has asked for their comments, and it spoils the game for the two players at the board. As I reach for a bishop and the guy standing over us utters (with a wince) "Are ya sure ya wanna do that?" Well great..... now if I do or don't execute the move, and do or don't win the game, neither I nor my opponent will ever know who truly won or lost because we've been "coached" by a third party. It's a two player game, not a team sport. This has happened repeatedly. We're there to play chess, not have a chess lesson. The moves are recorded during play and variations could be discussed later with said gurus. But I found it unacceptable during the actual play and it seemed to be an ongoing problem depsite objections from myself and a number of others.

Another issue is the fact that most people seem unable to remain attentive to anything for longer than 20-30 seconds without having to look at their phone (or having them go off ringing). One guy I played against got all p****d off because I wouldn't tell him where I had just moved during my turn. He didn't record the game moves on paper and when he finished each of his moves he would scroll through crap on his phone while waiting for me, and then look back at the board and ask where I had moved. When I refused to tell him he got choked.

I stuck around for about a year during which time I noticed most people were not showing up very often. I found out a few of them were meeting elsewhere at various coffee shops and park benches and I've had a couple of these guys over to the house for informal games on the back patio. More enjoyable by far. The chess "club" scene was not what I had expected at all. It's their club and I don't think it should change or be run the way I like it, but it's not for me thanks.

So many things (and people's behaviours) are not the way they used to be, that it's starting to feel a little weird now. Ya know?

That club needs the “ex-Marine with a sense of justice” as an arbiter! Or at least Miss Manners. The middle schoolers I helped coach all had phones and strong and vocal opinions, but they behaved well during Chess Club.

I received a folding leather chess set from ChessHouse yesterday.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I love to play. It seems like it gets harder and harder to find people to play. I don't like to play on line and enjoy physically playing a person who is present. I do enjoy chess puzzle apps to kick the time. I also enjoy teaching my grandson:
50456996_1596877637015368_2695930480410230784_n.jpg

This is a new Isle of Lewis Chess Set I bought for my wife. It is the official Museums of Scotland Set. Someday I'll buy her a proper board for it instead of the mats we have lying around. Note: I do know I have the black pieces on the white side and visa versa. I just set it up quick for a photo. This one is definitely an heirloom set:
49592319_10217917836113997_7923162179384115200_n.jpg

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A friend of mine went from Toronto to Moscow for the second Karpov-Kasparov match in '85. This is the one after the aborted match and where Kasparov won the title. He brought me back a folding pocket set from the match and gave it to me in Feb'88. It took a while for him to remember where he put it. Since he was a WWII vet/POW who was liberated the day before he was due to be executed by the Japanese in Jarkata, I was willing to cut him some slack. Every time I see the set, it brings a smile to my face; I miss my long-departed friend.
upload_2019-1-29_15-41-43.png

Raven Koenes

My precious!
A friend of mine went from Toronto to Moscow for the second Karpov-Kasparov match in '85. This is the one after the aborted match and where Kasparov won the title. He brought me back a folding pocket set from the match and gave it to me in Feb'88. It took a while for him to remember where he put it. Since he was a WWII vet/POW who was liberated the day before he was due to be executed by the Japanese in Jarkata, I was willing to cut him some slack. Every time I see the set, it brings a smile to my face; I miss my long-departed friend.
View attachment 947990
Wow, simply wow! What a fantastic gift and story behind it. That is a heart treasure. Thank you for sharing. It brought a tear and a smile.

View attachment 947990

I will never have a set that is such a treasure.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He didn't record the game moves on paper and when he finished each of his moves he would scroll through crap on his phone while waiting for me, and then look back at the board and ask where I had moved. When I refused to tell him he got choked.

Answer each and every question politely with the following:

"I moved my bishop here" (pointing to the bishop that has been sitting on that particular square for a half-dozen moves or more).

If he calls you on it ...

"Oh, I guess I wasn't paying attention either."

I play daily at chess.com. It's a great app to play others in time games.

I used to play a friend of mine every other weekend or so at random coffee shops in the LA area. Not so much anymore.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I was a kid, my Dad taught me to play.

He kept beating me really quickly, and then he showed me what he was doing.
  1. move pawn in front of king, forward
  2. move Queen 2 squared diagonally (ends up right in front of pawn in front of the bishop next to the king)
  3. move the bishop out to just the right spot
  4. Queen moves foreward to take the pawn in front of the other player's bishop and diagonal to the king. The only player that can take the Queen is the King, but if he does, he is taken by the bishop. Check-mate.
Until I knew what he was doing and could take counter-measures, he'd beat me in 4 moves.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
When I was a kid, my Dad taught me to play.

He kept beating me really quickly, and then he showed me what he was doing.
  1. move pawn in front of king, forward
  2. move Queen 2 squared diagonally (ends up right in front of pawn in front of the bishop next to the king)
  3. move the bishop out to just the right spot
  4. Queen moves foreward to take the pawn in front of the other player's bishop and diagonal to the king. The only player that can take the Queen is the King, but if he does, he is taken by the bishop. Check-mate.
Until I knew what he was doing and could take counter-measures, he'd beat me in 4 moves.
Doc:
Great story...and thanx for sharing!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"The place of chess in the society is closely related to the attitude of young people towards our game". Boris Spassky

Shower, shave (MMOC), sitting down to replay Mikhail Tal’s last game. A very warm and relaxing Sunday, with a cold wing gusting outside the window.

Tal had white v Vladimir Akopian at Dos Hermanas in 1992. Akopian was about 21, Tal would pass away the next month at 55. Tal was tired. In this position he had just played 3. Bb5 and offered a draw. Akopian declined and eventually resigned on move 38 just before the time control.

D0D08912-E399-478A-A403-3BFDC59F4DB6.jpeg

Another player here. I started a local club in 2008 that still meets weekly. I used to play about 10 rated tournaments a year. I plan on getting back into tournaments when my finances allow it.

Lot's of cross-talk. Lots of self appointed aficionados who rarely if ever play a game but wander around from table to table and "coach" other players' moves as they're about to make them. Granted, it's a club for enthusiasts to improve their play, but I find it rude when no one has asked for their comments, and it spoils the game for the two players at the board. As I reach for a bishop and the guy standing over us utters (with a wince) "Are ya sure ya wanna do that?" Well great..... now if I do or don't execute the move, and do or don't win the game, neither I nor my opponent will ever know who truly won or lost because we've been "coached" by a third party. It's a two player game, not a team sport. This has happened repeatedly. We're there to play chess, not have a chess lesson. The moves are recorded during play and variations could be discussed later with said gurus. But I found it unacceptable during the actual play and it seemed to be an ongoing problem depsite objections from myself and a number of others.
That would be totally unacceptable at our club. Our games are unrated and the atmosphere is relaxed, but even people going over their own finished games are asked to move to a table away from ongoing games.

Top Bottom