What's new

Chess Thread

I just stopped going. Like most organized clubs or groups that I've tried, all the aficionados ruin it for the average player who is just seeking an extra activity in their lives. The seem to thrive on making sure everyone knows that they're experts and they'll show ya how to become a real killer, a shark, if you pay close enough attention. Lame. Ya can always tell when people are trying to help others improve vs. when it's really all about them, their ego, and their superman capes.

My young son was interested for a while but got discouraged by many losses.
I hope his interest reawakens.
Having a realistic attitude about losing is pretty important IMO. In rated play, unless you are continually improving more rapidly than your peers, you will naturally lose many games. If you are averaging better than .5 your rating will be increasing and you will pared with stronger and stronger players until you start losing. So in that sense losing a lot of games is pretty normal.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Waiting for your post where you make a piece into a brush!
There is Alice
20190215_173125.jpg

Shower, shave (MMOC), sitting down to replay Mikhail Tal’s last game. A very warm and relaxing Sunday, with a cold wing gusting outside the window.

Tal had white v Vladimir Akopian at Dos Hermanas in 1992. Akopian was about 21, Tal would pass away the next month at 55. Tal was tired. In this position he had just played 3. Bb5 and offered a draw. Akopian declined and eventually resigned on move 38 just before the time control.

View attachment 958630
Nice set!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What about if someone whips out the Smith-Morra gambit, @bluesman 7 ? What kind of sicilian do you normally play? Najdorf, dragon, sveshnikov, scheveningen?

What about if someone whips out the Smith-Morra gambit, @bluesman 7 ? What kind of sicilian do you normally play? Najdorf, dragon, sveshnikov, scheveningen?
I used to play club chess. Only to about 1700 though, so really about average among a small local club.
The Smith-Morra accepted works brilliantly against an average club Sicilian player. I used to play it all the time.
The good thing about playing the gambit are the open lines & recurring motifs, like the e4-e5 pawn push, the knight sac on b5, attack on f7 etc. Standard Sicilian Defence moves often play right into the SMG player's hands.
If you practice as White against a regular club player who loves their Sicilian Defence, you can get some very quick wins.

I found the King's Gambit more difficult and that could easily go wrong for White, simply because so many players simply decline the pawn offer with the highly annoying 2...d5

Anyone else play the Tarrasch variation against the French. At my level it works pretty well for me because it kind of throws off my opponents. Some of knight moves in some lines are non intuitive IMO.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am thinking about moving back to e4 and will probably go for the Nc3 lines, although I played both sides of the French Tarrasch over the decades. Tzermiadianos has a good book from the white perspective.

I love playing Chess. I'm not very good though. Usually play around a 1500-1600 player if I'm not playing blitz and actually thinking about my moves. Much worse if playing blitz.

I am thinking about moving back to e4 and will probably go for the Nc3 lines, although I played both sides of the French Tarrasch over the decades. Tzermiadianos has a good book from the white perspective.
I hadn't played the French for years. One of the disadvantages of me not playing in tournaments for a while and only playing in our small club. A new member has joined us and played the French both times that he has had the black pieces against me. Nice to get some new blood into the club.

I love playing Chess. I'm not very good though. Usually play around a 1500-1600 player if I'm not playing blitz and actually thinking about my moves. Much worse if playing blitz.
I dislike fast chess. The majority of the players normally play G/80 at our club and then play shorter games as time allows. We do have a few members who like G/15 and shorter so I pair them when they come. We are known as a slow club, so the people who really prefer short time controls usually go elsewhere.

Top Bottom