What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

That says something about your Timeless but not anything about the issue at hand.
What do you mean, the issue at hand? I would think that getting the best shaves I've ever had while saving money just about covered the issue, but maybe there's some subliminal message in there I missed?

I would have to highly disagree with you on both accounts highlighted!! I not only get a shave that is far and beyond anything I'd had in 2016/17 with my Timeless Ti95SB purchased in Feb 2018, but the money I've saved since buying it is a hefty sum as well. In 2016/17 on average I was spending about $350-400 on razors, per year, that were either PIF'd or sold on the BST because they just didn't work for me, no matter how many reviews I'd read that, on paper, were the perfect razor for me and would give me the best shave result... Witch hunt was the only way to describe it and to think of all the suggestions I'd just easily passed by when a Timeless or similar were mentioned!! Too many to count and I wish I'd taken that advice a little more seriously today.

To sum it up, I get the best shave for me and with all the money I saved in just 2018, I decided to take a small potion and purchased another Timeless so now I will be set for a lifetime... I almost shutter to think that the Ti95SB I originally purchased also came with a .68SB base plate and some 150 blades for a mere $200!! Right place...right time i guess!!

I think we are in violent agreement - you must have missed the "not necessarily" part. Plus you don't know what you don't know - a Game Changer, DS-2, an iKon, may have given you just as good a shave, unless, of course, you've tried every razor available. I get great shaves from my Timeless Ti, Bronze and SS as well as my RS-10 - but I also get great shaves from my '59 Fat Boy; the "value" proposition enters when you consider if the RS-10, for example, gives me a $300 better shave than the Fat Boy. Hint - it doesn't, but I didn't purchase it for just a vastly improved shave - technique and software probably make as much difference, if not more. So again, YMMV - a lot.

Last edited:
What do you mean, the issue at hand? I would think that getting the best shaves I've ever had while saving money just about covered the issue, but maybe there's some subliminal message in there I missed?
Nothing that deep. Only that more expensive doesn't guarantee better shave experience.

I think we are in violent agreement - you must have missed the "not necessarily" part. Plus you don't know what you don't know - a Game Changer, DS-2, an iKon, may have given you just as good a shave, unless, of course, you've tried every razor available. I get great shaves from my Timeless Ti, Bronze and SS as well as my RS-10 - but I also get great shaves from my '59 Fat Boy; the "value" proposition enters when you consider if the RS-10, for example, gives me a $300 better shave than the Fat Boy. Hint - it doesn't, but I didn't purchase it for just a vastly improved shave - technique and software probably make as much difference, if not more. So again, YMMV - a lot.
I think I did miss the "not necessarily" part and I apologize... You are also right that I haven't tried "all" the razors you've mentioned but along the line I have tried similar razors and had dreadful results and honestly, I was tired of getting those results and finally gave in to the Timeless suggestions and when the deal of a lifetime came, I jumped on it and thought, at least I'm not having to pay list price just to try this!! Turns out it was the only razor I bought in almost a years time, (10 Months), versus the alternative in buying one every other month to try!! Also as it turns out, until buying the SS95DC on the BST, all other razors I had in my possession have gone to those that were willing to use them as they were only gathering dust being here. I am down to 2 razors total now and am set for a the remainder of my lifetime of shaves to come and need not worry about chasing what I've finally found!!

What other high end razors did you use other than the Timeless you bought?
I think the only other that I would maybe consider high end would be the Wunderbar and that was just a little too aggressive and sold off just a short time after acquiring it. Thats about it... I already knew from the reviews I'd read that the Blackbird was not in my future as it was more aggressive and that was the only one at the time other than the Timeless that was in stock.

I searched for the obvious ones, Wolfman, Paradigm, LACSS, Tatara, Charcoal Goods, and maybe a couple more that don't come to mind right this moment but I did look at other "high end" razors. I'll also say that the Timeless suggestions probably outnumbered the other high end options it seems about 3-1 in most posts I read... That is probably the biggest reason other than the ridiculous price I found for the Ti Timeless that played a part in acquiring one at the time.

I think the only other that I would maybe consider high end would be the Wunderbar and that was just a little too aggressive and sold off just a short time after acquiring it. Thats about it... I already knew from the reviews I'd read that the Blackbird was not in my future as it was more aggressive and that was the only one at the time other than the Timeless that was in stock.

I searched for the obvious ones, Wolfman, Paradigm, LACSS, Tatara, Charcoal Goods, and maybe a couple more that don't come to mind right this moment but I did look at other "high end" razors. I'll also say that the Timeless suggestions probably outnumbered the other high end options it seems about 3-1 in most posts I read... That is probably the biggest reason other than the ridiculous price I found for the Ti Timeless that played a part in acquiring one at the time.
Yes I agree about the Timeless. Great razor. I just don't think your experience with that one razor should lead to any broad conclusion about the necessity to spend large for a top performing razor.

Yes I agree about the Timeless. Great razor. I just don't think your experience with that one razor should lead to any broad conclusion about the necessity to spend large for a top performing razor.
Your absolutely right and I made no broad conclusion for anyone but "myself" in any of my posts in this thread... The question was asked, Cheap vs expensive / does it matter? I answered with "my" experience and never suggested anyone else buy one in my post...

Your absolutely right and I made no broad conclusion for anyone but "myself" in any of my posts in this thread... The question was asked, Cheap vs expensive / does it matter? I answered with "my" experience and never suggested anyone else buy one in my post...
I don't think you should be drawing conclusions even for yourself but enough said about that. I'm glad you like your Timeless, FWIW I like my Bronze SB a lot more than my SS 95.

What are we considering expensive? To me any razor above 50 dollars is expensive, and a luxury.

Having said that the build quality jump from a $20-30 DE89 to a $50 Mamba was so worth it. Beyond build quality the Mamba has better blade rigidity and effectiveness for my facial hair. But I could have probably got the same result with a $20-30 Fattip or a vintage Gillette.

And the build quality and fit and finish of the Blackland razors I held. One day..........one day.

The only thing I have found is with many vintage razors, due to their age and variance in care 2 exact vintage razors may shave very differently and I am not experienced enough to always see why. Also some of the new inexpensive razors ie Fatip or some of the Chinese razors have a relatively large variation in the same razor. For example I have had 3 V2 Fatip Grandes in one the blade lined up perfectly in another I had to fiddle with it a little and with the first one I had( which I exchanged) I could not line up the blade no matter what I did.

I can barely remember the razors I own and thats less than 15. Theres no way I can remember the different Baili model numbers lol.
I don't either. They give different numbers according to finish and handles, but they all have either the old Tech head or the covered tabs "upgrade" head which is the Teck2/DE1.

My thoughts are thus . . .
You are trying to get from point A (unshaven) to point B (shaven).
How you do that is entirely up to you.

Now, think about it like buying a car . . . you can spend a few grand on a decent used car, or a LOT of money on the latest model. Both will get you from A to B, but it's a question of how you feel about the trip.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not to mention Fatip or the King of the all, the MMOC! :tongue_sm

I forgot about the RR Tech II...
After buying around 30 Fatips in my time, I can honestly say price doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. In fact I can't wait to spend more when the Fatip Slant is released. I'm hoping it comes in many different options so I have more of them to acquire. I answered the question correctly right?

Top Bottom