What's new

Cheap Unscented Hard Soap Sensitive Skin ?

Is Arko "unscented?" I mean, surely they didn't add anything to the soap formula to get that smell on purpose, right? Anyway, I've always found it easy on the skin.
Williams lists "fragance" among its' ingredients, but it really doesn't have much of a "scent."

Stirling and Mike's both have unscented and are reasonably priced.
I'd suggest a La Toja stick as well, but it is not unscented. Lightly scented with a clean and fresh soapy smell, but not unscented.

Cheap Unscented Hard Soap Sensitive Skin ?
Focus on cost per shave, not cost per ounce. A triple-milled hard soap has less water, delivers many more shaves than softer soaps so it lasts much longer.

I'd have to suggest Mitchell's Wool Fat, refill puck (not with the fancy dish, just the soap). Smells like plain soap.

Costs $12-13 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. Should last you over 200 shaves.
mwf-2.jpg

Really cheap, I guess Van Der Hagen Unscented Luxury from Bed, Bath & Beyond qualifies. Will not last as long, so it evens out in the long run.
vdh-1.jpg

Honorable mention for Haslinger Sensitive, but you need to buy two pucks (they are small) and it is only cheap if you get it from Europe or find a sale.
+haslinger_sensitive_shaving_soap_refill_60g.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would help if you quantified what you mean by “cheap”.
I’m a huge fan of Stirling, and 5.8 Oz tub for $13.50 is going to last an awfully long time. Of course you’ll have to ship it so....$18.50. I’d still say for how long it lasts that’s a good price.

What about Proraso White in the bowl? It’s not truly unscented but formulated for sensitive skin.

Is Arko "unscented?" I mean, surely they didn't add anything to the soap formula to get that smell on purpose, right?
I was thinking along those same lines. I have a bit of anosmia and once a stick has been out for a while, between the weakened scent and becoming nose blind to it, I never smell it at all. I always start missing the scent and don't smell it again until I open a new stick or use something else for a while and come back to Arko.

Is Arko "unscented?" I mean, surely they didn't add anything to the soap formula to get that smell on purpose, right? Anyway, I've always found it easy on the skin.
Williams lists "fragance" among its' ingredients, but it really doesn't have much of a "scent."
I haven’t used it but I sure hear people talk about a polarizing response to a very chemical lemon like smell. So I think it’s scented.

Many soaps labelled as being "unscented" actually have fragrance and/or parfum and/or essential oil, so good idea to check listed ingredients.

(The Art of Shaving version is truly unscented, but they no longer offer the hard soap, unfortunately; just the cream.)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Focus on cost per shave, not cost per ounce. A triple-milled hard soap has less water, delivers many more shaves than softer soaps so it lasts much longer.

I'd have to suggest Mitchell's Wool Fat, refill puck (not with the fancy dish, just the soap). Smells like plain soap.

Costs $12-13 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. Should last you over 200 shaves.
View attachment 1160675

Really cheap, I guess Van Der Hagen Unscented Luxury from Bed, Bath & Beyond qualifies. Will not last as long, so it evens out in the long run.
View attachment 1160676

Honorable mention for Haslinger Sensitive, but you need to buy two pucks (they are small) and it is only cheap if you get it from Europe or find a sale.
+View attachment 1160682
With you on the Mitchell's Wool Fat, it's one of my favourite soaps, but like Arko it can be a bit polarising. Many people have difficulty getting a good lather from it, but I have found that by keeping it wet you can get an amazing, slick lather. You don't need the ceramic bowl for it either, I keep mine in an airtight plastic tub that was a bit too big for it until I soaked it

With you on the Mitchell's Wool Fat, it's one of my favourite soaps, but like Arko it can be a bit polarising. Many people have difficulty getting a good lather from it, but I have found that by keeping it wet you can get an amazing, slick lather. You don't need the ceramic bowl for it either, I keep mine in an airtight plastic tub that was a bit too big for it until I soaked it
I think most people can get a good lather with practice. It is not really difficult if you face lather, just a little quirky compared to some other hard soaps. The difficulty gets exaggerated somewhat.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Found Lea hard soap to be very pleasant. A clean soapy fragrance, abundant lather, nice cushion and good value. Perhaps Speick shave stick? Good for skin sensitivity, mild fragrance.

OP, it would be really helpful to know where you are located. I'm guessing Hawaii, but it could be London or Mumbai for all we know. That affects the cost quite a lot. And what exactly do you have in mind by cheap?

Top Bottom