What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

Well the slurry is exactly like a Charnley Forest stone and not like my Fiddish River stone. The slurry from my Fiddish River stone is like a greenish clay. CF is just white.

View attachment 909787 View attachment 909788

I don't have slurry pics for the CF in question, but usual white. These are very different stones some Fiddish do look a lot like a CF or a Llyn Idwall, but in hand there is no mistaking them for each other. There is also a Glanrafon Charley Forest stone which is very similar to the Fiddish, but it is not like a Charnley Forest and it is from Wales. These are soft sort of marble and hard slate stones. Where a Charnley Forest is novaculite more like a Arkansas.
What a brilliant comparison - thank you. Very very useful.

My first natural, this stone went through a major transformation, needed a ton of cleaning (caked in oil - welcome to Britain), dressing and lapping. The "before" pics were brutal.
It's almost translucent hard, but besides that, it's one of the few stones I have "connection" to that transcends it's ability.
stone final 5.png
16652487_10158192802190483_1149173709_n.jpg
Sadly, I had to sell this 3 inch by 11 inch monster at a wee bit of a loss (bought it in July 2016, 'The Summer Of Charn' in the UK, when prices went a bit loopy). It wasn't in the ultra fine category, more like a crisp Thuri edge - and the real estate was fun to play with.

My remaining small Charns, with a Lynn Idwal in the middle. Second from the left is my sink side touch up stone:- Ultra hard & fine, with a solid (quartz?) inclusion in the top corner. Lapping it was an exhausting emotional experience, lol.
21460049_10159288952770483_786261207_o.jpg

My first natural, this stone went through a major transformation, needed a ton of cleaning (caked in oil - welcome to Britain), dressing and lapping. The "before" pics were brutal.
It's almost translucent hard, but besides that, it's one of the few stones I have "connection" to that transcends it's ability.
View attachment 909797 View attachment 909798 Sadly, I had to sell this 3 inch by 11 inch monster at a wee bit of a loss (bought it in July 2016, 'The Summer Of Charn' in the UK, when prices went a bit loopy). It wasn't in the ultra fine category, more like a crisp Thuri edge - and the real estate was fun to play with.

My remaining small Charns, with a Lynn Idwal in the middle. Second from the left is my sink side touch up stone:- Ultra hard & fine, with a solid (quartz?) inclusion in the top corner. Lapping it was an exhausting emotional experience, lol.
View attachment 909799

That's a nice collection of stones.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The phrase you want is, "This thing? Oh, I've had this one for years." It always worked with my pistols. :001_tongu
:lol:
The hard part isn’t getting them in the house, it’s hiding the paper trail! Luckily, she still doesn’t know that I have a PayPal account. :w00t:

I’m learning it’s harder to hoard stones when you’re married. :001_07:

David it will just make you concentrate on quality more now. Let me know if you need some help storing them.:001_rolle
After a few decades they start to look the other way if it keeps you out of their hair. I have been amazed at how many stones I can fit in a old wood machinist chest though. Can't lift it off the ground, but no one can steal it either.

Oh and yes PayPal is your friend.

David it will just make you concentrate on quality more now. Let me know if you need some help storing them.:001_rolle
After a few decades they start to look the other way if it keeps you out of their hair. I have been amazed at how many stones I can fit in a old wood machinist chest though. Can't lift it off the ground, but no one can steal it either.

Oh and yes PayPal is your friend.
+1 - tho' starting to wish I'd never discovered "pay after delivery". Sheesh.

I am a stone hoarder but I will say this, I have been good about moving charns when I get ones that fit my needs a bit better. They are too expensive to hoard. What I hoard like a squirrel are coticules.

I've spent the last couple of months or so buying new brushes. Haven't bought any stones since the Welsh slate, I'm so ashamed! :(

There are several stones on my list of must haves, I'm just waiting for good specimens in my price range. A Charnley Forest is definitely on that list but further behind a couple of others.

And I just placed a new order for soap and AS samples from Maggard, the madness is strong within me. :blush:

What are the others?
First on the list is a nice white Tam O'Shanter followed a Water of Ayr. The ones I've found are either questionable thickness, darker than I'd like or priced above what I'd consider a good deal for the stone itself. There's a NOS Tam on ebay now that looks like it might be nice but I expect the price to jump out of my range, and it's a 5" stone.

First on the list is a nice white Tam O'Shanter followed a Water of Ayr. The ones I've found are either questionable thickness, darker than I'd like or priced above what I'd consider a good deal for the stone itself. There's a NOS Tam on ebay now that looks like it might be nice but I expect the price to jump out of my range, and it's a 5" stone.

If it is the 5" I am thinking of it does not have a clear photo of the top surface, which makes me uneasy.

Top Bottom