What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

I use a 45 cm diameter mesh like abrasive used to sand wooden floors. Used dry, it does wonders, last a while, and cost a few euros. You find them at machine rentals.
Because is build like mesh, it doesn't load up.

Ok so I contacted Roger a curator of a site about Marples history. He only has 2 catalogues that old with Charnley Forest stone listed in them. One of them is from 1873 and the other is from 1897. The 1909 does not list the Charnley Forest stones.
1873 Listing.jpeg
1897 Listing.jpeg

Finally done lapping... Not fun... can't feel any of that flakiness with a finger or a nail so i left it. It doesn't really matter when your stone is the size of a twin bed I figure.
20180909_003931.jpg

Currently working on making this one razor ready. Unfortunately I had to lap off almost a quarter inch due to shipping damages. Luckily I got all my money back because of that so this one was free. Still more work to due though.

83847383-7D86-403F-A4CE-A4B6C839FB65.jpeg 980A60C8-65BB-404A-BD41-14C47223BA5F.jpeg 19A953CA-B675-4790-A3F0-DDACE6663642.jpeg 0D9A9C5D-7F85-4DAB-9117-03773B755038.jpeg

Handsome family.
Thanks Moots.

Now I want to figure out more about the quarries and how to tell which stones came from which quarry. The Thringstone quarry apparently had superior stones to the Whittle hill quarry according to those who worked at the Thringstone quarry anyway. Then there is reference to a inferior CF becoming more available than the Whittle hill stone. I am wondering if these inferior CF are not the Charley Forest stones from the Glanrafon quarry. I wonder if anyone knows how to tell which stones came from which quarry. As they should be petrologically different. I think this may all be lost to history though. I would think a geologist who was given a labeled Whittle hill stone should be able to compare other samples to tell if they are from the same place. Unfortunately the only labeled Whittle hill one I have seen is just a picture online. The labeled Marples ones may or may not be from the Whittle hill quarry.

Literally 24 hours from me saying what I did above. I believe the exact labeled Whittle Hill CF I posted a pic of a few pages back shows up for sale on the bay. So I had to buy it.

Literally 24 hours from me saying what I did above. I believe the exact labeled Whittle Hill CF I posted a pic of a few pages back shows up for sale on the bay. So I had to buy it.

Please post pictures when you have it so that we have a reference. Would be interested in how different it is to other Charnleys.

I almost clicked buy it now. Glad you got it. Be sure to post pics once it’s lapped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I will try and get pics tonight. It is a small stone and in lapping seems very different than my other CF. It reminds me of a really hard B/G Droescher thuri I used to have in feel and hardness. So lapped easy compared to my other CF. It also has black/gray spots where it is usually red. The slurry is a grayish green white. It seems faster than my other CF too.

Top Bottom