What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

What an A-hole. Thanks for putting him on everybody’s radar.

Some wood glue in the crack, and clamp it while it dries. Should be enough.
Loktite makes a fairly new construction adhesive that is amazing stuff and it's very, very strong. I hang 3'x6' mirrors with it all the time. It's like super glue on meth.

The best response to his comment is ‘The box is valuable and needs to be protected.’

You could add rhat what you received was not what you bought …. By virtue of the seller’s shipping.

Oh I made that point. Told him the complete package including the box did not come in the condition I paid for. Told him the point of putting packaging on the box was so what ended up happening doesn't happen. I bought a stone and a nice wood box that is no longer a nice wood box due to poor packaging which is his fault. That the full value of what I paid for is no longer what it is worth and that it was an antique box made specifically for this stone that fits like a glove. The fact that he destroyed it with faulty careless packaging is not OK. That it was his fault and he should make it right.

Yeah no response as usual from him.

Still cleaning the stone up but found some original markings under some plaster. The label above the box line was pretty much gone. Will try and save as much as I can and seal what is left.

084B0960-D4BA-4CD5-9485-4B6BB06510DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
Nice work Tom.

Thanks David.

Sealer is drying now. The plaster on this one was tough. I like the white plaster better than this brown stuff. Don't know what the difference is, but the brown seems much harder and more difficult to remove.

Well the stone and base of box are almost done. This thing is super hard, yet cuts well for such a hard stone. I wasted a few hours yesterday on W/D and Atoma this thing just ate them. It was dipped a very little in both directions, but being so hard that took another hour or two in sic powder today. Then on to finishing the surface. Unfortunately in doing some cleaning up with simple green I didn’t think about those original markings I found and they are gone now.
Test seems really sharp and fine, but will need to do a good razor and shave after some more finishing to the top of the stone. I also need to fix the top of the box yet and clean it up a little more.

2763712D-9067-46FD-ACD8-C9D305D7A4C7.jpeg
B609019E-FFB3-47C1-BDA2-1D0F9086FDC2.jpeg
97395183-0AC8-4FBA-B526-7FEFDEC4E6BB.jpeg
EED8362A-16BC-44C7-BBC8-D6B373192732.jpeg
6C8DCDBC-2645-45BD-8EB3-EBC8C73CB76F.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Well the stone and base of box are almost done. This thing is super hard, yet cuts well for such a hard stone. I wasted a few hours yesterday on W/D and Atoma this thing just ate them. It was dipped a very little in both directions, but being so hard that took another hour or two in sic powder today. Then on to finishing the surface. Unfortunately in doing some cleaning up with simple green I didn’t think about those original markings I found and they are gone now.
Test seems really sharp and fine, but will need to do a good razor and shave after some more finishing to the top of the stone. I also need to fix the top of the box yet and clean it up a little more.

View attachment 1441497View attachment 1441490View attachment 1441491View attachment 1441492View attachment 1441494

Nice cleanup and nice save. Beautiful stone

This lovely is supposed to be dropped off by FedEx shortly on ready to give it a whirl. It's 7x1.3x1 which is my favorite size +1", if I ever break it I'll have a brilliant slurry stone. It'd be a shame to cut it.

Screenshot_20220426-231257_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220427-075536_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Wid
So I've been using this Tam for slurry on three charnley posted about and it works amazing. I need the advice of the old pros... I've got a bigger Tam coming in tomorrow and I'm very seriously considering c cutting a slurry stone off this Tam O'shanter for this charnwood, my old one and another one coming in a week or so. It's labeled as is the new one, but I don't ever see myself selling this stone because the slurry is so good. Decisions to be made and I'm in uncharted territory for me. I cut the corner off a very old slate once. What do you think gents?

20220510_230639.jpg

I didn't even notice the scratches and inclusions in the until I just zoomed into the photo. This is much softer than my other charnley and llyn idwal.

Last edited:
I've posted this stone before I think, it's one I found a few months back and initially thought was an Idwal. But after using and looking at more closely under a scope &c., I became basically certain it was a Charnley:

IMG-8049 (1).jpg

In G&H3 he mentions five types of Charnley stone, including some with layers in which the patterns or lines run in different directions depending on how the stone is viewed.

Screenshot 2022-05-18 142532.png

Screenshot 2022-05-18 144618.png

This is vanishingly difficult to capture on my phone camera, but if you look at this video in full screen and HD; you can see the the diagonal lines that run across the surface, and then also at other angles - patterns and lines deeper down that run more along the length of the stone. It's quite a cool effect in the flesh.

I've posted this stone before I think, it's one I found a few months back and initially thought was an Idwal. But after using and looking at more closely under a scope &c., I became basically certain it was a Charnley:

View attachment 1457744

In G&H3 he mentions five types of Charnley stone, including some with layers in which the patterns or lines run in different directions depending on how the stone is viewed.

View attachment 1457746
View attachment 1457749

This is vanishingly difficult to capture on my phone camera, but if you look at this video in full screen and HD; you can see the the diagonal lines that run across the surface, and then also at other angles - patterns and lines deeper down that run more along the length of the stone. It's quite a cool effect in the flesh.

I don't know just looking at it I would guess LI. Don't they also have line and dots? The cut on that one says LI to me too. I don't know for sure as it is easier to tell in hand. What is the thickness on it and what does the bottom look like?

I don't know just looking at it I would guess LI. Don't they also have line and dots? The cut on that one says LI to me too. I don't know for sure as it is easier to tell in hand. What is the thickness on it and what does the bottom look like?

That’s the one I got about 3 months ago, that I initially said was ‘surprisingly soft for an Idwal’. (I think I sent you the scope pics of what they looked like compared.)

I’m pretty certain this one is a CF.

That’s the one I got about 3 months ago, that I initially said was ‘surprisingly soft for an Idwal’. (I think I sent you the scope pics of what they looked like compared.)

I’m pretty certain this one is a CF.
The soft ones are impressive, no? Whatever that softish green stone I got is, it is top shelf.

Top Bottom