What's new

Charnley Forest show off your Charnwood

If I find another that the cost of freight isn't as much as the stone, I'm game LOL
110% with you on that. Those stones are special and I'd love to have more, even if not razor grade. I'd actually prefer 2 or 3 that are too grade to go with 2 or 3 that are for razors.

Reactions: Wid
Saw this little Charnley on an old tool dealers site, was simply listed as natural oilstone. The reddish brown flecks to me seemed like a dead giveaway and for the price (30 quid) it was a no brainer. Should have it in hand in a week or two once it gets to this side of the pond. Should clean up a treat. Will be my first Charnley but I have a fair bit of experience on Arks so I'm not expecting too much of a learning curve.

IMG_3800.jpg

Got that little Charnley cleaned up, lapped fairly quickly, wasn't too far out of true. Think it may have been a slip stone as it is finished on both sides and is tapered across the width, the sides having a radius each. Tested it on a razor using neatsfoot oil and turpentine. Left a very sharp feeling edge.

IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg

I tried to make a holder for mine yesterday and the stone is really thin and I set it too low. Gonna need some work.
Try cutting a piece of the no slip drawer liner and put it under the stone in the holder. See if that makes it sit high enough. I did this with a stone and it made it easier to remove the stone from the wood also.
download.jpeg

Try cutting a piece of the no slip drawer liner and put it under the stone in the holder. See if that makes it sit high enough. I did this with a stone and it made it easier to remove the stone from the wood also.
View attachment 1413728
I've got a 1/4" of somewhat firm foam rubber I though about putting in it or leather, but I might just scrap it. I see where I went wrong(wasn't cutting the side straight vertically, the were tapered too much to grip). I'm young but playing guitar and doing lots of physical labor and strenuous fine motor jobs(plus genetic condition) my hands are really arthritic and doing the boxes with just a chisel really puts a hit on me so I'll portobello wait until Saturday before I work on it. At least.

Got a new Charnley in today. Had a little surprise for me in the box. It was in a nice wood box, but the guy didn't protect it at all. I guess he figured the box was the protection. Well it saved the stone but the box top is split.. It did break the stone loose from the nasty plaster brown stuff holding it in though.

Well I found a labeled Marples stone. When I saw this stone it spoke to me. The seller was not good and every step with him has been not so good. I almost didn't buy it because of him. I could not let it go and glad I did not despite all the bad that went with it. My gut was right on. Now I need to figure out how to clean up the crap without messing up the label.

marples CF.jpeg

Marples CF boxsplit.jpeg
Marples CF boxtop.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Glad to hear that the stone arrived in good shape Tom, congrats. The box can likely be repaired as good as new. Post the cleaned up image when you have it, and honing impressions please!

Thanks Steve, I will post once I get it all cleaned up and fix the box.

Anyone have any hints on cleaning without hurting the label or best way to fix the lid so it isn’t noticeable?

It is a stellar looking stone even dirty

8CD18625-358A-4E5C-BC3B-0F0DADD69DDB.jpeg

Warning to all who shop on EBAY I got this from boyshill it is an ebay tool shop. The guy literally wrapped the wood box in newspaper and sent it. By the way this was the first problem I have had that I told him about. He did not answer any questions before or during the sale. I sent him 4.
When I sent him pics of the damage that it caused this was his reply.

I am very sorry you are unhappy with the stone but I can see you are determined to find problems whatever happens . Can you tell me what possible point there would be to put more wrapping on when it is already in a wooden box. If you don't want it send it back otherwise stop winging. You bought a stone which was delivered in good condition in good time what is your problem are you incapable of fixing or finding another box.
Regards Dan

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Bummer about the seller but a beautiful rock, Tom. Could you work some glue down in that crack on the box and then clamp it?

Edit- I see now it’s not a crack, it just broke. If it fits back tightly I’d say glue and clamp it.

Thanks guys. Yeah my best guess was wood glue and clamps. Just need to try and keep it straight and wipe off any excess I guess before it dries.

The label is more difficult. It appears some of that on the label is the brown plaster and I don't think the label above the box line is completely there either. Trying to work slowly with a razor blade, but it is really slow going. The areas with out label are easy you just chip it off then scrape.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The best response to his comment is ‘The box is valuable and needs to be protected.’

You could add rhat what you received was not what you bought …. By virtue of the seller’s shipping.

Top Bottom