What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB) Arrived Today

Excellent write up Roy and I think you made a good point and that is the difference between Scott and you and probably myself as well is we use Shave Soap and you don't so I can see how that may be the differences in preference between OC and SB. When Brian comes out with his new baseplate in the near future having the brass model I'm going to order a Level 3 DC plate so I can experience both in one razor. I know Brian likes his Astras and that's the blade I used in my CG L 3 OC for quite a while and I've used Kai, Polsilver and Feathers in there and pretty much they all work well just some increase the efficiency a bit more than others. Again we are talking about a Shave soap shave and as you know I'm a skin stretcher so all those things come into play when comparing razors and blades in my humble opinion.
Also to me you just got one of the best razors made currently by one of the best artisan razor makers period!

Enjoy it my friend! :a14:
Thanks Frank. I agree. If there's a nicer razor, I've not seen it.

Bravo, Roy! Well said, and congrats! I’ll post a further response soon. Right now, I’m trying to get home from this snowstorm...
Did you get a good storm? Here, just a dusting.

We live east of town, up in the foothills so there's still snow on the roads from the last storm. My wife's car is AWD with snow tires so it has no problem, even on the hills that haven't been salted or plowed. However my car, a Miata, is an oversized paperweight on days like today. It's sitting in the garage. We either ride together or I take the bus and then climb a big hill (or call my wife to come get me).

Was thinking all day, yesterday, about my new razor. Can't shave with it for a while because the box that's going around landed on my doorstep and I feel an obligation to plow through those razors so I can pass it along without holding up the show, though I had to take the one day off to try my new CGL3.

It's really something when you can't get your mind off a razor. Found myself pulling it out of my den last night just to stare at it for a few minutes. That's a first for me. Was also thinking yesterday about how Scott (@pbrmhl) would likely be trying his new razor today. Scott, if you're reading, I hope you'll post your impressions. Knowing how you love the OC, I'm curious to know how (and if) you take to the closed comb.

C624BACE-46C5-4FF2-B6F5-095BC94307AE.jpeg
CB96D4FA-2856-4880-AD75-6A1B10B1FB2E.jpeg
0B1D069E-3E7C-41E9-A556-70E1EA11E613.jpeg
3D2A2E17-2233-4DC6-9358-FAFE67A8B88A.jpeg
ED687FF4-E59E-4D21-A05F-AF5D1EA44FF8.jpeg
I’m ready to try my new shiny Charcoal Goods Level 3 razor tomorrow...

Must say that's one beautiful razor. Handle would be too short for me but seems perfect for you. In the photos the razor looks more stainless than brass. I've never seen brass shine like that.

52165B1D-D78A-4815-87FF-1E0BCAAB86E4.jpeg
I like the new cases.....for a sec I thought he had put a mirror at the back....which wouldn't be a bad thing.

The new case is awesome, indeed. Also check out the magnificent blue razor stand, which Brian sent gratis. He’s an awesome guy.

I've got a couple of shaves in with my new, shiny L3 straight bar and, boy howdy, this thing shines (at many levels)! It feels very similar to my L3 OC, but, as Brian Twilley suggested, perhaps a tad smoother, especially against the grain. Both shaves were perfect, in that my face was as smooth, post-shave, as I can make it. After today's shave, 24 hours after the razor's inaugural run, there simply was not much to go after. Now I have two favorite razors!

I've got a couple of shaves in with my new, shiny L3 straight bar and, boy howdy, this thing shines (at many levels)! It feels very similar to my L3 OC, but, as Brian Twilley suggested, perhaps a tad smoother, especially against the grain. Both shaves were perfect, in that my face was as smooth, post-shave, as I can make it. After today's shave, 24 hours after the razor's inaugural run, there simply was not much to go after. Now I have two favorite razors!
Thanks Scott. And of course I'm left with Frank's question too. If you had to choose one . . . {drum roll please}

Thanks Scott. And of course I'm left with Frank's question too. If you had to choose one . . . {drum roll please}

I need a few more shaves with the SB to decide. Like 15 or 20. Which I plan to do.

I've often though about doing a side-by-side, as Frank suggests. My problem is that, being right-handed, I find shaving the left side of my face much easier than the right side (as I look in the mirror). Thus, whichever razor is assigned the left side of my face will likely win any left-right single-shave shave-off. For me, I think I'll get better results by alternating the two for several weeks, and developing a sense of karma about which one I'm happier to reach for. After all, I'm a philosophy major, not a scientist...

When it comes to razors, that's the way to go. This obsession is way more art than science. Meanwhile, I'll faithfully await your follow-up report.

Congrats @Parallax on your new acquisition. I would be curious how it’s finish handles the shower shaving. Enjoy it - I’m still on the wait list for now.

M

member 119848

Beautiful razor, Scott!
I used to own a Timeless with both SB and OC plates. The first days/weeks I couldn´t decide which plate I prefered. The answer came with time, when I realized that I picked the OC plate more. But I´m the kind of person who doesn´t like too much change... So my guess, is that you´ll come with something like "choosing between my children, it´s impossible, they´re different but I love them all the same" :001_smile

Just a note coming from Brian himself if you don’t already know this. He said don’t ever wipe the razor dry but blot it dry and now and then use Renessance wax on it to preserve the finish if you don’t want it to patina quickly.

Did he explain why he said that? Ive been rinsing and wiping mine down thoroughly with a face towel after every shave...tryng to guess why he would say blot, not wipe....all I can think of is maybe wiping forcefully rubs off the coating of renaissance wax it comes with. Just a wild guess

Top Bottom