What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB) Arrived Today

Really excited to try this new razor.
20190207_211824.jpg

Scott (@pbrmhl) was so kind to allow me to piggyback on his order when his wait-list number came up. He had previously lent me his OC version of this razor (and numerous other razors).

According to Brian he recently changed the box. The old one was wooden but a bit flimsy. This one is perfectly fine and sturdy. That's fine with me.
20190207_211934.jpg

As you can see, I chose copper. It's a stunningly beautiful razor that's also substantial. Most important it's amazing to shave with. (At least the OC was; will post an update tomorrow after I've had a chance to try this L3 SB.

20190207_211924.jpg
20190207_211930.jpg

View attachment 950649
Scott (@pbrmhl) was so kind to allow me to piggyback on his order when his wait-list number came up. He had previously lent me his OC version of this razor (and numerous other razors).

According to Brian he recently changed the box. The old one was wooden but a bit flimsy. This one is perfectly fine and sturdy. That's fine with me.
View attachment 950650

As you can see, I chose copper. It's a stunningly beautiful razor that's also substantial. Most important it's amazing to shave with. (At least the OC was; will post an update tomorrow after I've had a chance to try this L3 SB.

View attachment 950651 View attachment 950652
Beautiful razor! How much did you pay for this, and from the one you previously tested, what would you rate it on the agressiveness scale?

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the beauty razor! I’m curious how it compares to the OC lvl 3 and some of the other razors you’ve been using lately. Looking forward to your review.

Beautiful razor! How much did you pay for this, and from the one you previously tested, what would you rate it on the agressiveness scale?

The cap and baseplate were $95 each and I picked up the handle a few months back when it was available on the CG website and on sale for $65. Add another $25 for tax (Brian and I are in the same state) and shipping, which brings the total to $280. Assuming you're not in the same state, subtract the tax and it's probably around $260. Since the handle's no longer on sale, add another $20 and you're back up to $280.

Will report on performance after I try it tomorrow.

The cap and baseplate were $95 each and I picked up the handle a few months back when it was available on the CG website and on sale for $65. Add another $25 for tax (Brian and I are in the same state) and shipping, which brings the total to $280. Assuming you're not in the same state, subtract the tax and it's probably around $260. Since the handle's no longer on sale, add another $20 and you're back up to $280.

Will report on performance after I try it tomorrow.
Holy cow, id never pay that for a razor, bur each to his own i guess. Hope you enjoy it!

View attachment 950649

View attachment 950650

View attachment 950651 View attachment 950652

Sexy razor. You saying that razor is made in Washington?

If he's in Yakima we are neighbors!!!!!!!! Looks like he's old school cool using old manual machines. My kind of guy. I need to save up some money (I've already spent beau coup bucks in a month) and buy a razor from him.

NT

I see you're from Selah, Newbomb. My Boston Terrier is from Selah!

Holy cow, id never pay that for a razor, bur each to his own i guess. Hope you enjoy it!

Would have said the exact same thing not long ago. Now, I could not be more pleased.

In my view, it's not a lot to spend so long as it really is a razor one will love for years to come. I wouldn't spend that much on a lark or just with a hope that maybe I'd find it worthwhile.

Beautiful razor Roy and congrats my friend!! I think you’ll find the Level 3 SB to be just a tad less efficient than the OC but smoother and with you shower shaving with no soap that may be a bonus. Brian’s copper razors are stunning and I really like the new case. He was working on changing them a while back as he was showing his progress on Instagram. Enjoy the razor and write up a review after your fist shave I’d like to hear your thoughts. Oh and put a Feather in there please not one of those damn Dorco blades! Lol
Lol! No, no Dorco this morning. Brian said that his razor doesn't run particularly well with the Feather. Perhaps that's why I found it harsher than James' WR1 .94 when I ran Scott's OC against it. This morning I used one of the blades Brian sent with the razor, an Astra. Figured a blade endorsement from the father of the razor is one that should be heeded, though of course I'll try others.

Unfortunately I no longer have the Wolfman to run it against. If at some point down the road you're still willing to lend me your WR1 .94, will take you up on it. For now, I'll just experiment with the CGL3 solo. Will post a write-up in a bit.

Here's my write-up on the first run with the CGL3 closed comb:

Using this razor this morning, I found myself in the unusual space of speechlessness. Like when you've seen an incredibly powerful film and have no words to explain what you're feeling. The words will come, with time and reflection. But for the moment it's best to just sit with and be in the experience.

That's how I felt after using this razor. I've never felt so satisfied with a shave. Scott's OC L3 was great, but I found it a bit harsh. The Ikon Tech is great, but again it's got a strong edge. James' WR1 .94 felt, well, a lot like today's razor but, if my memory is correct, it was a bit less blade forward and not quite as aggressive. Close but less. (Wish I still had it to run back-to-back but oh well. Honestly, the two are very similar and both are amazing!) Perhaps at the end of the day an emotional reaction is not something that can be explained in thought or words. I've often felt that shaving is more art than science. That's definitely what it felt like this morning. I'm in love with this razor.

Talk about finding one's grail, today I'd be happy to never purchase another razor. Of course I'm not committing to that. Curiosity is the way of man and there's always another hill to climb, but I don't expect this feeling to shift soon nor do I expect to ever find anything more satisfying.

Was shaving one day's beard growth this morning. When using the Ikon Tech under these conditions, I find it can be a bit uncomfortable. Same with Scott's OC CGL3 (albeit a deviation downward). This closed comb CGL3 was effortless.

Those who have read my ramblings know that I'm a shower shaver. No soap, no shave cream, just water, razor, blade and face. Ran an Astra this morning as that's the blade Brian sent so I figured it's the obvious place to begin. He mentioned that he doesn't think his razor is at its best with a Feather; otherwise, I would have run it. And truth be told, I was running the Feather with Scott's OC version when it was up against the WR1 .94, as the Wolfman seems to play really well with that blade. So perhaps my recollections of that razor versus this one aren't entirely fair. But then on the other hand, I ran Scott's razor on other occasions with the Astra and it never felt like this morning. It was great. It was one of my favorite razors. But my experience this morning was on another plane.

On my way to work, I found myself pondering how interesting it is that Scott and I seem to like the same razors. To say that neither of us has skin sensitivity is an understatement. We both appreciate efficiency and aren't afraid of aggression. We both appreciate blade-forward qualities. In my case, this is because I enjoy the feedback I get from a razor that tells me whether I need to adjust angle or pressure and when I'm in its sweet spot. Before today it was clear that our handle preferences differ (he preferring short; I preferring long) and my experiences with the WR1 left me wondering if maybe we preferred different comb types.

Until then I had assumed that if Scott preferred an OC, I would too. I certainly prefer Gillette OCs to the far more mild CCs. But I so loved James' WR1 with the shave bar that it got me thinking. I mean, my first epiphany that came by virtue of Scott's generosity in loaning out special razors was the Ikon Tech. I speak of the moment I first tried it as a revelation. Realizing that my two favorite razors to date were both closed combs, I began wondering if maybe (in taking up Scott's kind offer to let me in on his waiting list spot with Charcoal Goods) I should go with the SB (even though I'd not had a chance to try it).

So I felt into it. Intuition's a good thing. Seemed clear that's what I needed to do. Take a chance. I tend to be a cautious guy, particularly when it comes to money. But the heart knows what the mind cannot fathom. To assuage any concern, I reminded myself that if it didn't turn out well, I could easily sell the razor without much of a loss (if any). A quick exchange with Brian reinforced my sense that that was the right choice. He essentially said the CGL3 is the Ikon Tech without the harshness. So I was in a place of hope and positive anticipation when Scott placed the order.

The payoff came this morning.

Scott has often spoken of his love for OC razors. He will be trying his newly purchased closed comb CGL3 soon and I'll let him speak for himself as to his preferences, but if it turns out he prefers the old razor to new, we'll know we've found another difference. Which leaves me wondering. Perhaps at least part of any difference might be the fact that he shaves with lather by a sink and I shave with water in the shower. Perhaps the open comb gives a good stiff lather channels to run through which in turn allow it to remain in contact with the face a bit longer, whereas for a shower shaver like me the OC just adds blade exposure with no counterbalance since water gets into the tiniest of spaces. Alas, whatever the reasons, clearly each man is unique -- and it's both our challenge and our pleasure to figure out our ever-shifting preferences. To do it in community with such excellent friends renders it a true joy.

Alas, my new razor is not only satisfying to use but, as others have pointed out, she's a looker too. And whereas my sense of the Wolfman was masculine (I compared it to Chuck Connor), the CG strikes me as strong but definitely feminine. In fact, a true knock out. A stunning beauty with long dark hair and deep brown eyes that provide a glimpse of her soul and blow your socks off. Am I getting a bit far afield?

How to convey the experience of this razor. Perhaps I'm still at a loss. So I'll just leave off by saying I could not be happier with this purchase. For me, this razor is a true gem. I'd rather have it sitting in my den than the Wolfman. That's how much I love it!

Last edited:
Bravo, Roy! Well said, and congrats! I’ll post a further response soon. Right now, I’m trying to get home from this snowstorm...

Top Bottom