What's new

Changed my mind about exotic skin boots; got another question . . .

Some of you may remember my earlier post asking if there was anybody else here like myself who doesn't care for exotic skin cowboy boots and prefers regular leather boots. Well, that was when I was still lying to myself! For the longest time I tried to tell myself to forget about it, but now I must admit that the idea of getting a pair of full-quill ostrich boots has really grown on me!

So anyway, one of my possible choices is a pair of black full-quill Lucchese Classics (I need a pair of black boots to replace the Lucchese Classics ranch hand boots that I had to sell earlier). However, I don't really go for shiny boots, so finding a pair of duller-looking black boots isn't easy for me. My question is, is black full-quill ostrich really shiny? In pictures they would seem a bit too fancy for my taste, but then again, I learned a long time ago never to trust pictures of boots online (in person they're often darker, lighter, or duller than in photos). Unfortunately, I can't just go to a boot store and see for myself, as the nearest ones don't carry that particular style (I do most of my boot shopping online anyway). Does anyone here have experience with black full-quill ostrich boots, especially if they're Lucchese Classics? Thanks.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have had more than a couple of pair of full quill ostrich boots. I use to sell them :)

You cant go wrong with a pair of Lucchese Ostrich. They do typically shine them up, but not really a high gloss. I wouldnt really say that they are dull. The only dull leather boots are typically bullhide. Most of your leathers such as cowhide, kangaroo, snake, goat tend to be shiny.

I personally wouldnt hesitate to pick up the ostrich. Ostrich is some very durable, and soft skin. The only other suggestion I would have is elephant. I know that Lucchese had sold some elephant, where the skins were obtained from various legal sources. That is some very durable hide as well, and doesnt shine up as much.

Lucchese full quill ostrich boots are fantastic. I wouldn't call them shiny, but they do have a sheen to them.

I'm biased since I have a pair, but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with them.

I hit mine with leather conditioner and that is enough shine for me, but in no way do they shine up like my black ropers.

Where are you located?

Prince,

What color are your Lucchese full quills?

I'm in Georgia, which I doubt has a lot of places to buy Lucchese Classics anyway, let alone the style(s) I have my eye on. The only reason I know about that/those style(s) is because I saw 'em online! :001_cool:

Last edited:
I have three pairs of custom boots, one in burgundy sharkskin, the other two in alligator, one tan the other black. I wore the back ones with a tux for my son's wedding.

Prince,

What color are your Lucchese full quills?

I'm in Georgia, which doesn't exactly have a lot of places to buy Lucchese Classics, but then again, I do almost all my boot shopping online anyway.

Black.

They are about 10 years old.

$photo (8).JPG

The only other suggestion I would have is elephant. I know that Lucchese had sold some elephant, where the skins were obtained from various legal sources. That is some very durable hide as well, and doesnt shine up as much.

I agree with IsaacRN....The elephant,I think,would be perfect...Passed up a pair years ago and I do regret it...:thumbup1:

Gee thanks ... now I'm probably gonna end up in the poor house with all the boot styles/leathers y'all are tempting me with! :thumbup:

Ostrich is shiny. It is more of a "surface" or glassy shine (not like patent, though), than the deeper shine calfskin gets.

Ostrich is shiny. It is more of a "surface" or glassy shine (not like patent, though), than the deeper shine calfskin gets.

Yeah, the deeper shine of calfskin is definitely too shiny for me. But I could live with a mere surface shine, though.

I just purchased a pair of Lucchese 1883 cigar caiman giant tail crocadile. They are my first exotic pair. My wife thinks they are a bit to flashy for a 30 year old. But, I really like them. They felt great right out of the box. If you in north GA there is a shop in the Dalton mall and. A decent one in Cleveland Tn.

What I've read and seen with Elephant...It does not shine up glossy(always dull), it's really soft and tuff too.
Matter of fact, the reason I didn't buy a pair, was the fact the shine was so low. I like shinny things....:001_cool:

These are my husbands, they have a bit of a shine but not like many other boots out there. These are about 20years old. $IMG_1865.jpg$IMG_1866.jpg

I have found both my elephant hide and Bison hide boots to be really solid leathers, and for sure not shiny. I would call their finish matte to satin - enough shine to not look unkempt, not shiny enough to attract attention.

the other hides mentioned along with ostrich are really nice. I must say that the Lucchese boots are really nice. Both of mine are Tony Lama Gold Coin (medallion?) models.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So what did you end up getting? I would really consider elephant or ostrich. The elephant will be more durable, as it is pretty tough, while still looking out of the ordinary.

So what did you end up getting? I would really consider elephant or ostrich. The elephant will be more durable, as it is pretty tough, while still looking out of the ordinary.

Who, me? I haven't gotten anything yet. I want to try and save up just a little bit more first.

I have a couple pair of Lucchese Classics in full quill and love them, I condition them a couple times a year and I suggest buying boot shoe trees.

I'm resurrecting an almost 3-month-old thread here, but I settled on a pair of Lucchese Classics full quill ostrich boots in black. I love 'em!

Top Bottom