What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends

proxy.php

Fifth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

The FOCS/Kai pairing delivered another close, trouble-free shave. Blade-feel was not an issue, today, as all three of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable. The XTG pass was particularly efficient, so I did not need to buff, at all.

Meanwhile, the Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo/RR Gold Label combo was also at the top of its game. I managed to generate a very dense lather with only a few swirls of soap and the slickness was out of this world.

Everything about today's shave was top-notch. :thumbup1:

This seems strange. You get roughness going across the grain but not going against the grain? When you go across the grain are you going a little diagonal, toward against the grain? That would explain the roughness and why there's not much resistance when you go against the grain.

XTG is an issue for me due to my beard growth pattern. Subjectively (i.e. looking in the mirror), my stubble lays west-east on the sides of my neck and under my jaw, then switches to east-west as it transitions over my jawline to the bottom of my cheeks. So, when I move the razor in the typical XTG motion in either direction, it's like everybody else's ATG pass. It was a real head-scratcher when I first mapped my beard.

But, that's not the worst part. Again from the subjective view, on the left side of my face, from the corner of my mouth down to below the jawline and just above my Adam's apple, that patch of hair swirls in all directions. Some of it even curves slightly upwards for some reason. I refer to this area as "The Trouble Spot" and folks might have seen me mention it in other Participation and Challenge PIFs.

I have trouble in that spot regardless of whether I go WTG, ATG, or XTG. When a blade starts to tug or snag in that area, then that's a good indication that I need to switch blades. However, some blades (like the Kai) do a great job of powering through that area without issue. Other blades (like the Feather) seem to snag and catch in that spot regardless of their sharpness. Then, there are a few blades (like the Sharp Durablade... a thousand curses upon that blade! :mad5: ) that couldn't even complete one pass through there.

As for routine roughness when going against the grain... I have skin as tough as elephant hide and my pain tolerance is very high, so I don't really notice it. That explains why I can get 50+ shaves from any blade (except for the accursed ones, as noted above). 😁

proxy.php

Fifth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

The FOCS/Kai pairing delivered another close, trouble-free shave. Blade-feel was not an issue, today, as all three of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable. The XTG pass was particularly efficient, so I did not need to buff, at all.

Meanwhile, the Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo/RR Gold Label combo was also at the top of its game. I managed to generate a very dense lather with only a few swirls of soap and the slickness was out of this world.

Everything about today's shave was top-notch. :thumbup1:

XTG is an issue for me due to my beard growth pattern. Subjectively (i.e. looking in the mirror), my stubble lays west-east on the sides of my neck and under my jaw, then switches to east-west as it transitions over my jawline to the bottom of my cheeks. So, when I move the razor in the typical XTG motion in either direction, it's like everybody else's ATG pass. It was a real head-scratcher when I first mapped my beard.

But, that's not the worst part. Again from the subjective view, on the left side of my face, from the corner of my mouth down to below the jawline and just above my Adam's apple, that patch of hair swirls in all directions. Some of it even curves slightly upwards for some reason. I refer to this area as "The Trouble Spot" and folks might have seen me mention it in other Participation and Challenge PIFs.

I have trouble in that spot regardless of whether I go WTG, ATG, or XTG. When a blade starts to tug or snag in that area, then that's a good indication that I need to switch blades. However, some blades (like the Kai) do a great job of powering through that area without issue. Other blades (like the Feather) seem to snag and catch in that spot regardless of their sharpness. Then, there are a few blades (like the Sharp Durablade... a thousand curses upon that blade! :mad5:) that couldn't even complete one pass through there.

As for routine roughness when going against the grain... I have skin as tough as elephant hide and my pain tolerance is very high, so I don't really notice it. That explains why I can get 50+ shaves from any blade (except for the accursed ones, as noted above). 😁
Yow! Sharps don’t agree with me either. Most super sharp blades plane off my neck skin with its bumps and whorls. I’ve had better luck on the neck with smoother blades (esp. Voskhod) in razors that allow for more adjustment of the angle, such as Gillette NEW and Old type. If I miss something I just go over it again and no harm done.

Yow! Sharps don’t agree with me either. Most super sharp blades plane off my neck skin with its bumps and whorls. I’ve had better luck on the neck with smoother blades (esp. Voskhod) in razors that allow for more adjustment of the angle, such as Gillette NEW and Old type. If I miss something I just go over it again and no harm done.
(Also didn’t mean to imply Sharps are super sharp, just transitioning to a new thought right after mentioning them)

Blade: Kai #1 shave 4
Razor: PAA DOC
Brush: Turn 'n shave Ghost
Soap: B&M Melange
Aftershave: B&M Angelique
Haven't shaved with this razor for a long time. I remember it being too mild. I think the blade made it more normal since I got what I would consider a DFS. Next I'll probably try the blue tip.

I am starting to wonder what I am doing wrong.
This pretty much encapsulates my feeling about Feather blades. In a razor that I can pull off flawless shaves with a multitude of other blades, I still can't seem to get a decent shave with a Feather.

Feather blade, shave 1
I ditched the Kai after 3 shaves because it was time to move on. As stated above, I just don't seem to have any luck with Feather blades. For this shaveI thought why not use a Feather razor so I pulled out the Feather Popular and gave it a try. The WTG and XTG passes went well enough but there was a lot of stubble left. The ATG pass took care of most of it but I needed to touch up under the jawline and caused a bunch of irritation and a few weepers. I fully realize that I'm almost certainly the cause of the poor shaves but I just haven't cracked it yet. I'll try again in a few days with a more suitable razor.

SOTD_2021-12-09.jpg

Feather #1, shave #2
2 days growth
Preshave: shower
Cream: Cremo
Razor: Henson Al-13
Aftershave: alum, Nivea sensitive balm

I was a little distracted during my first shave with this blade, but not this time. This time, I was 100% focused on the shave, on technique, on applying precisely zero pressure. WTG was good - not "did I forget to put the blade in?" good like the first shave, but close. XTG I somehow got weepers in the exact same spot as the first shave, just above the jawline to the right of the chin. Ok.

ATG I usually end with the mustache, but decided to take that on first. Feather's reputation is to fade quickly, so I wanted to get the hardest part done first. A bit of tugging, so it definitely felt like it was losing some sharpness, but I kept a light touch, and got the right side of the 'stache nice and smooth with no blood! I started doing the same on the left, and as I'm finishing that up, I see them - close to a dozen spots of blood forming on the right side that I just finished. Sigh. I successfully finish up the left... and the same thing!

Now I'm getting angry. Pardon my language, but what the heck?!? I've done everything you asked of me this shave. Respected your elegance and sharpness. Applied absolutely no pressure. How do I get weepers appearing 30-60 seconds after the blade last touched that skin? I swear the Feather was mocking me. Asserting its dominance. Telling me that I can take all the care in the world, and it's still going to do whatever it wants.

I put it out of my mind as best I could and finished. A couple more weepers here, a few more there, alum feedback, whatever. I normally go 3 shaves on a blade, and I haven't binned this Feather yet, but I'm not sure if I'll give the thing the satisfaction of bloodying my face for a third time. I don't need to deal with this obstinance from a blade, I get that enough from my kids. But I'll make the final call on Saturday.
I get the same thing whenever I let a Feather loose. It cuts all the hair and some of the skin. Sometimes I accept the tradeoff for a lasting closeness and other times I just load a blade that prefers cutting hair to cutting skin.

Feather Blade #1 Shave #1

Razor:
Karve CB with open comb B plate
Soap: Highland Springs "Silence"
Brush: Omega boar
After: Riversol moisturizer

I thought the Kai was pretty good but this Feather is noticeably sharper and smoother. I could go on autopilot for almost the entire shave with the razor sliding around effortlessly taking off 2 full days of coarse stubble. I did 3 passes and even ATG had no issues. I ended up with one tiny weeper high up on my cheek, not sure what happened there. Some cold water made it disappear.

Interestingly, the Feather reduced my beard less on the WTG and XTG passes, but I ended up with closer shave at the end of ATG.

In the past I vowed never to touch Feathers again because they left my face a bloody irritated mess. I guess I haven't noticed it day to day, but my technique has clearly improved a lot since then. I've been wet shaving since March this year.

In the Kai vs Feather race, Feather has jumped out to an early lead!

KAI Blade #1 - Shave #10

Equipment:
Merkur 20C, Legendary KAI (10), Eufros Dama De Noche Soap

The Results: Shave #10 was ok, close with some residual stubble, but not irritation, resulting in an SAS shave. I'm ok with that since it was Shave #10, and this KAI blade is now ready to be retired. Eufros Dama De Noche (won in @bobmsp's excellent Eight Soaps of Hanukkah PIF) is flat out amazing - the scent is incredible and the performance is close to PdP Soaps.

Longevity: for me, 10 shaves from any blade is phenomenal!! My whiskers tend to beat up the edge of the blade and wear them out quickly. My previous experience with KAI Blades match this current round. My face also likes the Feather Blades; I just wish that they lasted as long as the KAI. Sharper blades tend to have brittler edges and fall victim to my beard.

Who Won This Round: my face likes both of these blades, and I consider both top shelf!! That said, KAI lasted 4 shaves longer and was consistent throughout. Shave #3 with the Feather was THE BEST shave between the two. So who won?!? I have to go with the KAI Blade.

Pressing The Reset Button: like cleansing the palate between courses, I'm shaving with a mysterious blade for the next couple of shaves (I think a couple, but I haven't tried this one before) to reset the bar of expectation.

Feather# 1, Shaves # 2 & 3
Tatara Masamune, Zingari Man The Magician, Speick AS lotion

I arbitrarily bin each DE blade after 3 shaves to maintain a consistent shave experience. Shaving after 1.5 days rather than daily is less likely to cause irritation. Shaves 2 and 3 were smooth BBS shaves, with no cuts or weepers, 10/10.

The Feather with the Masamune is an absolute joy.

Feather Blade - Edge #2 - Shave #3

Equipment:

Razor: Ikon X3 Slant
Blade: Legendary Feather
Soaps: Stirling Scarn
Brushes: GoldenShaves/Semogue synth

The Results:

Nothing much to report. Another BBS.
A close, comfortable shave with no drama.
No weepers, no nicks, no irritation.
The Feather just keeps rolling along.

Kai blade #1, shave #5

Razor: Yaqi DOC
Brush: Yaqi Green Obsidian synthetic 24mm
Preshave: Proraso White
Lather: Proraso Red
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershavce: Bootleggers Eldorado

Pleasant no issues shave. DFS in 3 passes. The blade in this razor sings a bit more than other blades in it.

IMG_3528_1200x849.jpg

Sixth shave with the Legendary Feather Hi-Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

No change from the previous shave with this blade.

The FOCS/Feather duo continues to deliver a decent shave, despite one of my three usual passes providing only mediocre results. The WTG and ATG passes have been reasonably good, but the XTG pass is where it falls down as described in my December 8 entry; sharpness is not a problem, but some roughness and even a bit of tugging is evident.

Also, my skin still feels very sensitive at the end of the shave which requires the use of some cooling ASB on my neck and along the jawline. Considering that I don't suffer post-shave irritation from other sharp blades (e.g. Kai, Perma-Sharp Super, etc.), I pondered whether it might be caused by some other factor, such as the blade bevel angle or the coating. After discussions with other B&B members, the coating could be the suspect. Well, whatever the case, it's pretty darn annoying. However, once I've applied the ASB, I'm left with a fairly close shave and, frankly, that's what I really care about.

On a side note, the Fine Classic/PdP B&T pairing was fantastic! The Angel Hair knot is pillowy soft and feels very luxurious on the skin. Meanwhile, PdP B&T is one of the easiest-lathering and slickest soaps that I own Two thumbs up for this brush/soap combo! :thumbup:

Eighth shave, second Kai (2)
Tradere SB, Omega 10086, Barrister & Mann Leviathan

Just a quick maintenance and touch up rather than a proper full shave; too soon after the last one for much regrowth. More of an excuse to dip into my sample of Leviathan, really.

The Leviathan is interesting.. my first experience with the new omnibus base. Interesting lather that I'm going to need to explore some more!

Two quick little passes to get back to a smooth face with ease followed by a cold water splash and it's all done.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Kai shave#7
IMG_20211210_112856.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Kai
Soap: Sterling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink

Tonight although I went with the KCG again I am considering using a slightly more aggressive razor once I finish tomorrow's shave with the Feather. Although it really seems to be the Feather driving my choice of setup the Kai is the real hero of this test as it just performs without complaining and seems to be lasting without special treatment.
The first WTG pass was comfortable as always with this blade but I could feel that it left my face rougher than usual. The second XTG and third ATG pass were also comfortable, but the blade is not removing the stubble as well as it did, but although leaving my neck slightly rough it is still shaving much better than the Feather.

Tomorrow Feather

Shave 6 with the Kai blade. Tonight it was loaded in my Ds Cosmetic stainless steel R41 clone. Having shaved with that razor before, it is a very aggressive razor (maybe comparable the the Muhle 2011 R41), but I had to see how the Kai would handle this.

WTG pass showed significant blade feel, but adjusting the angle minimized the blade feel a little. After the WTG pass, I could have stopped with a DFS+, however I went ahead with my ATG pass. With most whiskers cleared with the WTG pass, the ATG pass was much smoother and comfortable. I did not have to touch up or even think of an XTG pass as there was nothing left to remove. Another BBS shave.

Tomorrow I have the Feather loaded in the DS Z0.

This might be relevant... an immortal Kai, refugee from the mysterious Kai PIF in January.

Kai(27) delivers DFS+ from its established home base in my Wunderbar. It jumped to the Wunderbar for shave 16 on July 1, and has stayed there since that time. I am not taking it out until it stops working.
109BDF63-E5F2-405D-9061-F17771768172.jpeg

Top Bottom