What's new

Cella Shaving Soap Review

My setup for shaving is:

EJDE89
Omega 10066 Boar Brush
Gilette Silver Blue (1st use)
Dove Sensitive skin ASB

Scent: 8

First of all, this is an awesome almond scent - it smells kind of like Marzipan or Amaretto. very nice subtle fragrance. Doesn't hit you in the face, but you know it's there. Applying the lather really brings the scent out and smells heavenly. I know scents are really subjective as to the persons preference, but if you like the smell of marzipan or amaretto or roasted almonds, then you will really love this!

Latherability: 9 (previously 8-see below)

It lathered well and quickly. After soaking the brush in hot water for 10 minutes I gently lifted it out and let the excess water run out, then 2 small flicks to get out a little more water and I applied an almond sized amount to the brush. It started lathering quickly and was really looking great. after about 45 seconds there was mounds of it! Very easy and hassle free lather!

Protective Property: 9 (previously 7-see below)

This really disappointed me actually. After some great looking lather was easily whipped up, it almost seemed to fall apart when lathering on my face. It was slick but not as thick as I thought once applied. It did the job but I've had much better (like TOBS Avocado or GFT Coconut). I'm not sure if it was the boar brush or not. I might have to try it again with my BB. Again, it did the job but wasn't on par with some others I've tried. I didn't experience any razor burn, nicks or weepers after a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG & touchup) so it worked well there, it was more then adequate, but I've had better (did I say that already?)

Moisturizing: 9 (previously 8 - see below)

Good! My skin feels nice and hydrated. No issues there. Not overly drying or overly moisturizing. Does the job well.

Conclusion:

I'd recommend this to anyone, especially if they like the almond scent. Its well priced at about $10-12 for a tub of it so not bad, plus it has many natural ingredients that you can pronounce which is always a bonus! I might have been nitpicky a bit about the protectiveness of it. but that's the only thing I would say was a bit of a con but not by much. All in all a very good product from the Motherland

Update: As promised I've retried Cells today using the Marco method as suggested...I previously rated latherability and protectiveness at 8 and 7 respectively...however...after retrying it...I've bumped them both up to 9..I've even bumped moisturizing properties up to 9 (from 8). It was an absolutely luxurious lather...and did protect very well! This is on par with the best I've tried like proraso, GFT coconut and TOBS avocado...if not better in some respects...thank you everyone for all the tips. I would wholeheartedly recommend this to everyone and I'm placing my order!!! If you are on the fence...get this...you won't regret it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 551
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 544
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 551
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 553
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
That's not how you load Cella; that's the trouble you're having. Cella is a soft soap. Load it like you'd load on a puck of hard soap. Load the brush really good and you'll have amazing lather. It also helps to transfer the soap into a wider container to make loading easier.

Samples are a pain to load anyhow. I never buy soap samples for that reason. I just spring for a whole puck. If I don't like it, to the BST it goes.

I hear ya...from the pics though it does look like I ended up getting a great lather just that I didn't feel it was as protective as others...I'll try it again...and even though its a soap its REALLY soft...between a cream and a soap...as you said though...hard to load a small sample...thanks very much for the input.

Try taking the sample out of it's container and put it into something bigger, like a latte mug or ramekin, basically something that you can get in there and really load the brush. While you're loading it count to 60 ( 1 min ). Then whip it up and add water slowly if need be. Sometimes it's good to do a test lather where you start off with not enough water and just keep going until it breaks down from too much water.

Just my personal opinion, but it looks like you didn't have enough soap compared to water. Your lather pic looks a little airy to me.

Let us know how it goes.

Agree with the above. Cella is a soap, not a cream, and needs to be loaded that way. Don't worry about the brush, either; Cella LOVES boar brushes.

Your best bet to get a good lather out of Cella is to follow Marco's Method, found here: http://bit.ly/1giXVnl

If you enjoyed it the first time, think of how it'll be after you dial it in with Marco's Method. Oh Cella :001_wub:

Agree with the above. Cella is a soap, not a cream, and needs to be loaded that way. Don't worry about the brush, either; Cella LOVES boar brushes.

Your best bet to get a good lather out of Cella is to follow Marco's Method, found here: http://bit.ly/1giXVnl

I agree that i didn't use the "preferred" or "best" method to lather this up...at the same time I didn't think there was anything wrong with the lather...the pic I posted showing it in the mug was only after about 10 seconds or so...I didn't feel the lather was off...I felt like it didn't protect as well as others..now perhaps using the Marco method will improve that so I'll update everyone on that...interestinglyni have read at least one other review suggesting the same thing...giving it a middle of the road for protectiveness...so I don't know what to think now

It's almost impossible to tell from a pic, but I too think that lather looks light and fluffy. Cella makes some if the slickest, densest lathers of any product I've used. I am going to vote more product less water.

It's almost impossible to tell from a pic, but I too think that lather looks light and fluffy. Cella makes some if the slickest, densest lathers of any product I've used. I am going to vote more product less water.

Thanks...will do...ill try again tomorrow with the same setup and tell you my thoughts...revised or not ;)

I agree that i didn't use the "preferred" or "best" method to lather this up...at the same time I didn't think there was anything wrong with the lather...the pic I posted showing it in the mug was only after about 10 seconds or so...I didn't feel the lather was off...I felt like it didn't protect as well as others..now perhaps using the Marco method will improve that so I'll update everyone on that...interestinglyni have read at least one other review suggesting the same thing...giving it a middle of the road for protectiveness...so I don't know what to think now

Try a couple of the suggestions above (they are good suggestions), and then think what you will about it. At the end of the day it's your shave mate, if if doesn't protect, it doesn't protect, done.

That's not how you load Cella; that's the trouble you're having. Cella is a soft soap. Load it like you'd load on a puck of hard soap. Load the brush really good and you'll have amazing lather. It also helps to transfer the soap into a wider container to make loading easier.

Samples are a pain to load anyhow. I never buy soap samples for that reason. I just spring for a whole puck. If I don't like it, to the BST it goes.

Retried and updated - very good stuff...thanks for the tip!

I just picked up some and tried yesterday. Nicked my neck a bit but also changed blades so not sure where the problem was. Will be giving it another go on Monday.

Top Bottom