What's new

Cee-Lo Green: Motown from A-town? The 6th temptation?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxodgpyGec[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qCK88aRJk[/youtube]

I LOATHE 99% of new music, however this cat's got soul.

Discuss

Last edited:
I like Cee-Lo and the different projects he's been involved in. I don't mind hearing my kids drop the F-Bomb when they're singing along with him.

It really is a great album. When I first heard the "F You" track, I couldn't get it out of my head for a month, and it was one of the few songs for which I was okay with that. I can't see the videos you linked to (YouTube is blocked on my work network), but the video for that song was also great: a simple concept executed perfectly. (And I'm not usually a fan of music videos.)

Yep been a fan since I had heard about him, Bruno Mars is a very similar sound. It's no motown but its as close as we've gotten since.

Yep been a fan since I had heard about him, Bruno Mars is a very similar sound. It's no motown but its as close as we've gotten since.

If you like the classic soul sound, try a group called Lee Fields & The Expressions. I haven't heard any of his recordings, but I saw him live last year and was absolutely blown away.

In the vein of Cee-Lo, there are also people taking some of the elements of that classic soul and blending with other sounds to create some great new music. Some good groups to check out in this vein are the Budos Band (based in New York, and they're currently on tour), and JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound (these guys are one of my favorites; they're based in Chicago so I get to see them a lot, but they tour all over the states and occasionally Europe as well). There's also some great stuff on the Daptone and Truth & Soul labels.

If you like the classic soul sound, try a group called Lee Fields & The Expressions. I haven't heard any of his recordings, but I saw him live last year and was absolutely blown away.

In the vein of Cee-Lo, there are also people taking some of the elements of that classic soul and blending with other sounds to create some great new music. Some good groups to check out in this vein are the Budos Band (based in New York, and they're currently on tour), and JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound (these guys are one of my favorites; they're based in Chicago so I get to see them a lot, but they tour all over the states and occasionally Europe as well). There's also some great stuff on the Daptone and Truth & Soul labels.

Just checking out Lee Fields & The Expressions now, good stuff!

More recent Motowny style stuff I really enjoy are Mayer Hawthorne, Raphael Saadiq & John Legend, Amy Winehouse (vids below)

Absolutely love this old track by The Nutmegs which I discovered on a friends old Spotify playlist. Wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw him in concert almost 10 years ago and he was awesome. His old stuff with Goodie Mob is good too. BTW, He was almost the 3rd member of Outkast.

Top Bottom