What's new

Cartridge myths?

As many of you, I shaved both beard and head with cartridges for many years, before I discovered the joy of DE shaving.
Much to my surprise, I keep reading and hearing statements about the effectiveness of cartridges.
Many claim they produce a better shave than DE shaving.
I honestly find this hard to believe. Using many different cartridge razors, I never had a shave as close as with my DE razors.
It must be stated I gave up on mild DE razors very rapidly and have been using more aggressive DE razors, like the Muehle R41 and the DLC Yaqi. Loaded with, for instance, a Bic Chrome Platinum, the shaves leave my skin bare as a baby's butt.
I guess the idea of cartridge razors being more effective than a mild DE razor with a moderate blade might have some truth, but my shaving material is surely much more effective than any cartridge I have used.
Please share your opinion.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Everyone’s shaving experience is different. I started with cartridge razors, found this forum bought over 300 DE and SE razors and I have gone back to using cartridge razors most of the time as they give me a closer shave than a DE razor. This is my experience. Many seem to suffer from razor burn and razor bumps using cartridge razors and off course the dreaded clogged blades. I can also get plenty of shaves off one decent cartridge razor and I am lucky to get a week out of a DE blade. Recently I hit 157 shaves off one Gillette SkinGuard cartridge.Yeah I pushed it as far as I could to see how good it was. Everyone’s experience is different and as long as we can help each other to find the type of razor set up that works for us, then that is a great thing in my book.

Everyone’s shaving experience is different. I started with cartridge razors, found this forum bought over 300 DE and SE razors and I have gone back to using cartridge razors most of the time as they give me a closer shave than a DE razor. This is my experience. Many seem to suffer from razor burn and razor bumps using cartridge razors and off course the dreaded clogged blades. I can also get plenty of shaves off one decent cartridge razor and I am lucky to get a week out of a DE blade. Recently I hit 157 shaves off one Gillette SkinGuard cartridge.Yeah I pushed it as far as I could to see how good it was. Everyone’s experience is different and as long as we can help each other to find the type of razor set up that works for us, then that is a great thing in my book.
What factors could be of influence, you think?
I keep thinking about these questions.
It might be the composure of my hair or skin, I find it difficult to put my finger on it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thickness of the whiskers, how we prepare our face for the shave. I shave before I shower and always have, many shower before they shave to hydrate the whiskers. I tried this and to me it made no noticeable improvement, many find that it does make a considerable difference to their shaving experience.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In my experience cartridges can shave as closely as a DE, possibly closer, which is why they can cause ingrown hairs. DE razors have a learning curve, and require attention to technique which arguably cartridges do not. I suspect that someone who has poor hand-eye coordination or no inclination to learn how to correctly use a DE may well get a closer shave with fewer nicks, than with a cartridge razor, and may deem that better. Closeness of the finished shave is of little or no importance to me personally.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I missed out on going from carts to "safety" razors. I just went to the ultimate in shaving experience, the straight razor.

I never enjoyed shaving with a cart. It was just a chore that I did three times a week. As soon as I started SR shaving, I did it daily to learn the technique. After a month or so, I got myself a Ming Shi 2000S and shaved with that occasionally. The 2000S was better to shave with than a cart but nowhere near as enjoyable as the SR.

I dare say that if I now shaved with a cart, I would be better at it but it wouldn't give me any enjoyment.

For me now, it's not the quality of the shave result that matters, it is the enjoyment. I also feel safer being able to see that edge on my skin.

I am only approaching 700 SR shaves now so there is still plenty to learn.

Before swithching to DEs I used only Gillette carts (i.e. Mach 3 and Fusion) and always thought the were absolutely fine. I tried other carts when I decided to try something more economical but the alternatives were nowhere near as good, I even managed to nick myself with a BIC Flex. Case in point Gillette carts are great, that's my personal opinion of course. Truth be told I was never able to shave with a cart as close as I can with my DEs but I agree with rbscebu, I use DEs because it's just enjoyable.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used carts for a lot of years. It was a chore. A necessary evil. I shaved (dragged an old past it’s prime cart) across my face. I would hardly change carts because of the cost. When I would put on a new one very often I’d feel like I got a bad one. The older one I replaced seemed better that a new one. I was always buying the next thing in vibrating handles or whatever because almost instinctively I knew there had to be something better. Thinking the problem variable was canned goo (I’d go from foam to gel to foam) I started on brushless cream. Then found Proraso cream tube. And that started my journey to de razors. The cart is the lowest common denominator. Quick and dirty. I’ve recommended de shaving to a work mate who complained about cart irritation and his response was he used de razors years ago and it tore up his face. That was the end of my proselytizing. Glad I found B&B to break my cart dependence. 🥳

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me I found that after switching over to de razors and learning how to lather etc, my cartridge experienced improved by leaps and bounds because all the lessons I've picked up for des, apply to cartridges too (good prep etc) and my cartridge shaves (the off time I use one) became all the more better.

Interesting thread!

As noted above, there are many variables and moving parts.

The main point is that I simply did not enjoy shaving with carts. I became irritated with the constant ‘innovations’ in the cart space: more blades, lubrication strips, batteries, fewer blades, etc. Unfortunately, the ’improvements’ were mostly to the manufacturer’s bottom line as my shaves did not improve.

Since returning to ‘traditional’ wet shaving my daily shaving ‘chore’ has become enjoyable! As a bonus my shaves and skin improved. The final bonus is that I have a new ‘hobby’ that I get to enjoy every day!

:a21::a21::a21:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Carts shave fine for a few shaves but most of us shaved past the effectiveness because of the cost. I know I did. With a DE, the cost of blades is negligible and tossing one for a fresh sharp blade is a no brainer. I use a straight razor and don’t have to toss anything but the enjoyment is the driving factor same a DE.

I’ve used de razors for years and years and always enjoyed the experience.

Another year later and something I cannot explain has changed. None of the gear or my technique has but the experience most certainly has. It’s courser and more open to irritation. I’ve blamed it on age. I blame EVERYTHING on age

Net result, back to Mach three carts. My shave is smoother closer and more enjoyable than before and I can’t explain that.

So in my opinion yes, de razors are fantastic but at the moment carts are better. For me at least and BBS with no problems and not a single ingrown

Go figure. I cant

I used Gillette Fusion (or whatever the 5 blade carts were called) for years and they shave very close. I like them but didn't like paying $5-6 per cartridge. If they were $0.50 each, I would likely have never went back to wetshaving with a DE and would probably still be using them.

Carts are fine. I prefer a DE.

Initially I switched to DEs because of the cost savings...and here I am now, after spending hundreds of dollars on shaving supplies that will last two or three lifetimes. Hehe, gotta love it.

I still use a Mach 3 when I am in a hurry (once in a blue moon) -- I get a so-so shave, but they get the job done.

I find the first shave from a cartridge to be easier to get BBS shave. That is I don't have to worry about angle or anything.
Both work fine.
It's after that first shave that DE is better. The cartridge is always clogged and after first time I start breaking out.

Yes I can get an easier path to BBS with no technique by using a new cartridge every shave.

Even bulk buying Mach 3 at Costco was just too expensive. So that's why I switched.

This really is superior imho

It is so long since I shaved with a cartridge razor that I can’t really compare accurately. But I do know I always felt happy enough with my shaves using cartridges and gel, and when I switched to a DE razor I got similarly good results but had a learning curve before I could consistently avoid excessive nicks and irritation (which was expected).

Obviously with much more DE razor experience and finding razors that are more optimal for my hair and skin (I prefer more efficient razors) my results are much better now. I am certainly getting shaves that are significantly closer and more comfortable than I got from the cartridges, or from my early DE shaves.

In the end all I can say with confidence is that cartridge razors are perfectly good, but they are unreasonably expensive as you have to use five blades at a time when, with adequate technique, you only need one. And DE razors will ultimately give you a better shave (once the technique has been learned), if only because you can buy razors to match your particular preferences, rather than a one-size-fits-all cartridge razor (again, once you have acquired the experience to learn what works best for you).

DE has to be better, but it won’t be as good as it can be until you have learned good technique and found razors that work best for you. When you switch from cartridge to DE I don’t think you can expect an improvement right away, but with practice DE should ultimately be better. Probably the same is true with straight razors compared to DE, but the learning curve is even bigger to optimise the shaving and blade preparation / maintenance techniques to get the best results.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've recently been using Mach 3 disposable razors due to an injury of my left arm and shoulder. I've used many disposable razors in the last 2-3 years trying various things and I used a Mach 3 for ~20 years alternating with rotary electrics. I've rarely had a good shave with any electric or disposable razor, however, in the last three weeks my shaves have been 'very good'. Not 'great' but better than 'good'.

My Grande or MMOC is far more comfortable first pass after 48 hours. The Mach 3, and any disposable I have tried, is borderline unusable at 48 hours and is unusable for me beyond that.

Putting to work what I have learned in my time as a member here, proper lathering technique, finding the right soaps/creams for my skin and, most importantly, my directions of growth have really helped in using disposables. My first pass is N>S. Second pass S>N, third pass ATG, all the same as with a DE/SE.

What I've found is, I find the Mach 3 especially smooth and comfortable. I think the angle of the blades is more shallow than it is with Bic, Schick and the store brand Personna razors. I have sensitive skin and the steeper angle with multi blades can damage my skin, quickly. They also shave close, even after multiple shaves, it just takes more work to get to the same place. Borderline BBS is my norm with them now after three easy, quick and comfortable passes with some ATG buffing. I need to use much more pressure to get a close shave with them but it is a comfortable shave. I prefer a thinner lather so blade clogging hasnt been an issue with any of my 15 soaps I have in rotation.

Efficiency is a no contest. Using my Grande and any decent blade, I always have a complete BBS that lasts 12 hours. Using my MMOC and a PTFE, the BBS finish lasts a minimum of 14 hours and as long as 18 with a PTFE to shave #4. I can, and have, shaved directly ATG first pass with my Grande and MMOC at over 100 hours growth without issue. A Mach 3 shave, BBS in most areas, lasts 6-8 hours. Not so bad really but given the discomfort of the first pass after 48 hours growth I need to shave more often. Directly ATG first pass with a disposable is a no go.

I'm honestly very surprised and enlightened by my results of this but I think the key to a comfortable shave for me is closely following my direction of growth in regard to number of passes. The closer I follow WTG first pass and XTG second pass, the more comfortable the shave and the less a price my skin pays although I do have a firm grasp on which soaps/creams work the best for me.

I only hated using a cartridge because of A- The expense, and B- clogging. I also had skin issues using them but I attribute that more towards insufficient prep. I'd literally go straight to Barbasol on a freshly wet face and shaved.

With good prep and a good soap I've squeezed out some good shaves from a Gillette Sensor, but I just don't find any fun in that so I stick to my straight razor / DE.

I enjoy not using a cartridge so much I spend parts of my day talking about shaving on the internet.... Life is strange.

Top Bottom