What's new

Cartridge myths?

Carts' such as Gillette SkinGuard and the Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 keep the blades just that bit off the surface of the skin to eliminate irritation, yet give a close shave. -Worth a try?

The fact that such forums even exist is because we weren't satisfied with the way we shaved in the past and wanted to see if that can be improved in one way or another regardless if some people are still using cartridges or not. I've been a DE shaver since 2015 and before that I shaved only with cartridge razor ranging from cheap disposables to Mach3 and Fusion and I was able to shave while taking a shower without the need of a mirror, but some parts of my neck were a total mess.

My overall shaving technique has definitely improved and I probably wouldn't have any problem shaving with a cartridge razor and despite the acceptable and good results, but I just don't like the way the carts cut the whiskers from my face and for me that's a deal breaker. What I look for when I shave is to achieve the closest and most comfortable as well as the most enjoyable shave possible, but not all types and models of razors check all of those boxes.

If I go on a vacation somewhere (especially if I take a plane), I would definitely buy a disposable cartridge instead of bringing any of my razors as well as brushes and other things with me. But outside of such rare occasions, I see no point of using a cartridge razor at all.

Don't know, but I like the two-blade carts and disposables. They are decent and do the job. Have and use quite alot of them. GII (TRACII), Contour (Atra), Sensor Excel, Protector. Have a huge amount of carts stocked. Half of them are vintage.
nice 👍🏽

Carts' such as Gillette SkinGuard and the Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 keep the blades just that bit off the surface of the skin to eliminate irritation, yet give a close shave. -Worth a try?
Tried them all. I think I may be allergic to the lubes on top of the irritation caused by the blades.
No more carts for me. Great if they work for you, though.

Wouldn't agree with that. I get 17-18 3 pass shaves with Mach3 or a simple Gillette twin blade disposable. Maximum 5 3-pass shaves with a DE blade (some blades only 2-3 shaves). Same cream and brush.
My experience is just so different. How odd. I would break out certainly by third shave and each use after the breakout would be worse and last longer.

I recall that someone did and experiment with vintage blades and found they were able to handle a high number of shaves. Some examples exceeded 30 uses! However, the key was proper technique, preparation and blade maintenance.

Top Bottom