What's new

Carbon SS Cx razor help

I have been looking at this razor for a long time and now that they have 3 different base plates I could use some help from anyone who has used one. As I understand it all 3 plates have positive blade exposure, but as the the gaps increase the exposure decreases. My Karve razor works in the opposite way, so it's of no help here.

What I am using to help me is my Timeless .95mm OC and my Blackbird OC razor. I look at these two razors as either end of an extreme. The Timeless has a gap of .95mm and very little positive blade exposure. It is a very smooth and efficient shaver with little blade feel. On the other end the Blackbird has a rather small gap of .58mm (I think) but with a lot of blade feel. I have not been able to find anything suggesting what the exposure is, but I believe it is substantial. It is not as smooth as the Timeless but more efficient. I really enjoy both of these razors for the variety they offer, but I prefer the blade feel with the efficiency that the Blackbird offers over the smoothness of the Timeless.

I guess my question is if the original plate (.68mm gap) offers more of what I like in the Blackbird with its blade feel and efficiency or whether I would have to go with a larger gaped plate and give up blade feel for more efficiency. It would be ideal if someone has used both the Timeless and the Blackbird could comment, but any comments would be most welcome.

Haven’t used either of the razors you mentioned unfortunately. But can say I participated in the passaround going on in another forum and tried out all 3 plates. Fell in love with the .68 plate immediately. The + and ++ plates weren’t for me. Not enough blade feel there. But I am a bit of an outlier in that I prefer the WR1 to the WR2. I like blade feel. Tells me where I’m at when shaving and assists me in keeping the optimal angle. I have both SS and Ti and I also enjoy the Ti much more. Able to go over the same spot numerous times with no irritation. My current #1 out of many I’ve tried.

Haven’t used either of the razors you mentioned unfortunately. But can say I participated in the passaround going on in another forum and tried out all 3 plates. Fell in love with the .68 plate immediately. The + and ++ plates weren’t for me. Not enough blade feel there. But I am a bit of an outlier in that I prefer the WR1 to the WR2. I like blade feel. Tells me where I’m at when shaving and assists me in keeping the optimal angle. I have both SS and Ti and I also enjoy the Ti much more. Able to go over the same spot numerous times with no irritation. My current #1 out of many I’ve tried.
Thank you that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've used the Timeless .95 SB and both blackbird baseplates. You'll much prefer the original baseplate (.68). I also trialed all the carbon baseplates in a passaround and only liked the original. The + and ++ felt less efficient and didn't have enough bladefeel. I ended up purchasing a titanium carbon with the .68 baseplate and love it. Less efficient than the blackbird but its more friendly on the face. An absolute pleasure to use.

I've used the Timeless .95 SB and both blackbird baseplates. You'll much prefer the original baseplate (.68). I also trialed all the carbon baseplates in a passaround and only liked the original. The + and ++ felt less efficient and didn't have enough bladefeel. I ended up purchasing a titanium carbon with the .68 baseplate and love it. Less efficient than the blackbird but its more friendly on the face. An absolute pleasure to use.
Could you compare the OC vs the SB plates. I really like the lather flow through that I get with all my OC razors, but the Blackbird SB plate appears to be semi scalloped which should help the flow through. I'm curious to see if their SB plate would soften the face feel some with the same or close efficiency and have good flow through.

I have been waiting for Blackland to have the polished SB plate to be back in stock.

Could you compare the OC vs the SB plates. I really like the lather flow through that I get with all my OC razors, but the Blackbird SB plate appears to be semi scalloped which should help the flow through. I'm curious to see if their SB plate would soften the face feel some with the same or close efficiency and have good flow through.

I have been waiting for Blackland to have the polished SB plate to be back in stock.
After some use I found the OC to be slightly less efficient while being more friendly on the face. It does allow some good pass through. The SB, even being scalloped, removes everything from your face lol. I ended up keeping the SB because I found it easier to shave with.

After some use I found the OC to be slightly less efficient while being more friendly on the face. It does allow some good pass through. The SB, even being scalloped, removes everything from your face lol. I ended up keeping the SB because I found it easier to shave with.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Top Bottom