What's new

Canned Cream

Hey guys, you know this might sound like heresy but I’m really thinking about going back to using canned foam again. My shaves lately will the Gillette Foamy have been really good. Very very close. The cushion and slickness doesn’t seem way less than my brush creams and soaps .... and no brush to have to rinse either. Now I realize that a canned product isn’t as luxurious or even as high performing as the better stuff out there but it’s so convenient. Costs way less too. I’m seriously thinking about using up all of my brush creams and soaps and just going back to the can. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s just how I’m feeling at the moment. Anybody else here have similar thoughts? Or is a big fan of can cream?

Not recently, but there were two I used to use that were pretty good: Aveeno & Nivea Sensitive.

aveeni.jpgnivea.jpg

There was an article on the internet recently, that someone found canned foam great for cleaning the toilet!
Do it and see, no law to say you shouldn't. What soaps were you using?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Canned Nivea products are excellent. I would go back to using them tomorrow. I don’t have any issues with canned products. If they work well for you then go with it.

My suggestion to you is to try something that I stumbled upon while on baby leave. Ran out of everything one day and used Softsoap. Yep, the hand cleanser. Very slick, better than the foam for my skin, fast and rinsed clean as a whistle from my razor. Low cost alternative to even foam also.

There is a trick to it, wet your face, put a small amount of water in your hand with a lot more product and just hand lather. Leaves your skin soft also.

Sometimes I’m tempted to buy canned Proraso at Marshals/TJ-Maxx/Ross.

I also see the C.O. Bigelow/Proraso Green in a can with the cream at Bath and Body Works.

I’ve used canned during travel here and there and it isn’t horrible, just prefer the soaps/creams. Canned just seems to be much less slick and leaves a film on my razors.

There was an article on the internet recently, that someone found canned foam great for cleaning the toilet!
Do it and see, no law to say you shouldn't. What soaps were you using?

Post of the day!! :a29: :a29: :a29:

Hey guys, you know this might sound like heresy but I’m really thinking about going back to using canned foam again. My shaves lately will the Gillette Foamy have been really good. Very very close. The cushion and slickness doesn’t seem way less than my brush creams and soaps .... and no brush to have to rinse either. Now I realize that a canned product isn’t as luxurious or even as high performing as the better stuff out there but it’s so convenient. Costs way less too. I’m seriously thinking about using up all of my brush creams and soaps and just going back to the can. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s just how I’m feeling at the moment. Anybody else here have similar thoughts? Or is a big fan of can cream?

I salute your return to the can! I’m honestly not sure why it gets so much hate on here. Nothing beats the convenience or the (lack of) cleanup. Like you i’ve never found the performance to be subpar and if i didn’t like the routine of the brush and soap i’d go back no problem. I think the trick with foams is getting your face sufficiently wet before you apply the foam. Otherwise the residual slickness doesn’t show up. Plus Barbasol and Gillette cans are extremely cheap and last just as long as most soaps and creams. Personally i say return to the can and break out the brush and soap if you need a change up.

There's no reason you can't do both. On a hectic morning go with the can. On a weekend morning you could indulge a little.
This.^

I swore off canned anything for many years. Curiosity got the best of me. Now, I use Proraso yellow foam when I'm running late. My shaves are just as good as with a decent soap. With good hardware and good prep, you can make nearly anything work.

FWIW, I can't stand gels, but I consider foam proper vintage. My Dad is 72, and he's never used anything but canned foam.

I find foamy to be a bit more slick then barbasol but my wife likes the barbasol aloe so we usually have some of that around. I typically thin out the barbasol with water a tiny bit, don't have to with foamy. The when applying proraso canned foam with a brush I find no difference in performance vs a bowl lathered proraso cream or soap. If you find the 400ml barber size can of proraso foam at TJ Maxx (and all those other affiliates) they are usually $5 and will last you 6+ months of daily use.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I will use a can in the shower if I am in a hurry. I don't think my shave is as close though.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found the canned gel better than the foam, plus you can use it with a brush if you want. The canned shave gels I have used lather well with a brush. That said, I will stick with the Tabac and MWF. Use whatever suits you, it is the finding out what suits you by trial and error that is the fun of this hobby.

Well if you get good enough shaves with it I don't see why you wouldn't use it. Myself I swore off the canned stuff for a few reasons, before soap and brush I was using Gillette gel in a can.
I can't comment on actual price because I don't remember how long a can lasted vs soaps but I remember I always felt bad paying for it. On the other hand I have no problem paying for my faveourite sops. Could be I spend more for soaps. I also never could get it properly hydrated, it was either running off my face or it was sticky dry. There is also environmental side, those cans are poison. And one more thing, probably most annoying factor, I absolutely despided the smell of it. It stinks

I don’t judge the people that use canned foam...much but I disagree there are cheap soaps ie arko, yeayea urinal cake but there others that are cheap I won’t use canned it takes away from the experience for me, half the pleasure for me is taking the time to load up lather exct but up to u

Once in a while, I try the canned stuff for a few days and think that I'll switch back for good. Then I make a quick visit back to a good cream and a brush and it's game over.

I think the answer here is in the form of a question, are you a functional shaver or a hobbyist? If you are simply a functional shaver, ditch the brush and rotation of soaps, slap some foam on your face, and wipe those whiskers away. If you are a hobbyist, keep the assortment and have fun.

Top Bottom