What's new

Can you ever imagine one of the big, old shaver companies manufacturing classic DE shavers again?

Wasn't sure what it was called when I bought them, but I got a couple of the Gillette Super Blue razors for under $2 each. It shaves a little milder than an actual Tech. Do the Chinese Super Blue blades shave the same as real GSB's?
Different blade and produced by Gillette Shanghai

Chinese Super Blue - sharp but rather rough and good for like 3 shaves
Russian Silver Blue Stainless - smooth with good longevity

Gillette. Schick. Bic. Wilkinson Sword. And there are a bunch of others.

Could you imagine one of these companies making a classic DE again?

I don't think it could possibly happen. I wouldn't bet on it, but you never know. You see oddities like this in the marketing world now and then. If, say, Gillette decided to make the Fatboy again with a few modern touches, they would probably go to an existing new DE maker for some help. It could be a tribute to Gillette, perhaps for an anniversary. They know there is some small market for these razors and it might be an interesting experiment for them.

Could this happen?
Gillette does. It makes blades in St. Petersburg, Russia focused on countries where DE shaving is still popular. In the U.S. it purchased Art of Shaving and with its King C. Gillette line (likely contract manufacturer for the DE razors) it is now selling DE razors in the U.S. at price points geared to an affluent hobby shaving market. The King C. Gillette blades are from St. Petersburg though they are marked up substantially over similar blades from the same factory.

Given the overall global industry push to shift demand from DE to higher margin cartridge shaving systems I doubt we will see the return of mass market focused DE shaving equipment in the U.S. Manufacturers would not want to cannibalize their profitable cartridge system sales.

The younger generation that gets a new cellphone every year, leaves their PCs on 24/7, throws out all of those k-cups and disposes of all that Amazon packaging every day?
They like to see themselves as environmentally friendly, but they have a long way to go.
For Gillette to market themselves as green, they would need to see it as a potential boost to their bottom line first.
Damn it, Jim... you're a captain not a sociologist!

Yep, and marketing the DE as "environmentally friendly" is the best marketing move they could make. "Less plastic waste and more environmentally efficient."

This is the marketing gambit that will make them more money than they would care to believe.
Problem with this “eco friendliness” take on younger generation is when that same audience realize that not shaving at all is even more eco friendly… 🫤

The 70s look and hygiene practices are back in vogue with the younger generation; no shaving pubic hair, facial hair, armpits, or haircuts. Even Hollywood A-listers have joined the bandwagon.

The younger generation that gets a new cellphone every year, leaves their PCs on 24/7, throws out all of those k-cups and disposes of all that Amazon packaging every day?

They like to see themselves as environmentally friendly, but they have a long way to go.

For Gillette to market themselves as green, they would need to see it as a potential boost to their bottom line first.

Sorry, but I guess I’m grumpy this morning.
Not grumpy, just correct.

Sorry, but I guess I’m grumpy this morning.
No, you are correct. The "green" BS is nothing more than Marxist "virtue signaling". The way I see it is simply "waste not, want not". That's a far better approach than any of the self-righteous "green" nonsense.

Top Bottom