What's new

Can you ever imagine one of the big, old shaver companies manufacturing classic DE shavers again?

There's already a Chinese Gillette available. It's about $2 and it has the same handle as the Ying Jili. Put a replica ball end handle on it & it could have been used as a more accurate Gillette Heritage razor.
it is a Tech clone and shaves about the same as an actual Tech.
Chinese Gillette Tech.jpg

Yes, Gillette and others could absolutely return to making DE razors. There is a huge market for DE razors today in some of the biggest economies in the world where multi-blade cartridge razors have never taken off and are not likely to. Don’t just think about how the shaving market is in America or Europe, think about India where people just don’t see the sense in paying for five blades when you get the same or better shave with one. Or China where electric razors are the thing.

Gillette is already now using a DE89 head and selling it as a Gillette razor. Why not design and make their own razor in future and try to make some headway in asia?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, Gillette and others could absolutely return to making DE razors. There is a huge market for DE razors today in some of the biggest economies in the world where multi-blade cartridge razors have never taken off and are not likely to. Don’t just think about how the shaving market is in America or Europe, think about India where people just don’t see the sense in paying for five blades when you get the same or better shave with one. Or China where electric razors are the thing.

Gillette is already now using a DE89 head and selling it as a Gillette razor. Why not design and make their own razor in future and try to make some headway in asia?
Unfortunately for Gillette, I think that they will find it very difficult to retool and now complete with Asian manufacturers, unless they too manufacturer in Asia. Then it just becomes marketing which Gillette has been very good at at times.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Unfortunately for Gillette, I think that they will find it very difficult to retool and now complete with Asian manufacturers, unless they too manufacturer in Asia. Then it just becomes marketing which Gillette has been very good at at times.
Maybe Gillette could start marketing the Super Blue razor in the US. Pretty much the longest line of continuously made DE razor designs ever. The Tech.

~doug~

We live in different times now, a green world where recycling is king. All major companies are selling us their green products, and when you think about it a de razor is a prime example. Buy a razor that you will never throw away, or if you do its recyclable, blades the same. Often when I am browsing the internet a green razor will show up, which when you click on the razor is from a company selling a de razor, they tell you how buying the razor will basically help save the planet. What major manufacturer these days don't want to promote a more substantial product. What a razor by any past manufacturer may look like today is another point, but going forward it would not surprise me at all if a blast from the past would resurface sometime, not because they want to, but because they feel they have to.

If Gillette needs to stop the "woke" ordure then market the butterfly "fat boy" and "adjustable" models as "environmentally friendly" and "nostalgic". They need to employ a "You too can shave as your great-grandfather did" and "Stainless Steel blades are recyclable" advertising campaign.

Bring back Sharpie the parrot and "How are you fixed for blades?" and "Look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp." Couple these with Mahlon Merrick's "Gillette Fight Song" (1958). This would definitely sell. There is a great market for this.

Gillette could sell a pot full of razors and blades.

Last edited:
There's already a Chinese Gillette available. It's about $2 and it has the same handle as the Ying Jili. Put a replica ball end handle on it & it could have been used as a more accurate Gillette Heritage razor.
it is a Tech clone and shaves about the same as an actual Tech.
View attachment 1487086
Ding, ding, ding! We have a WINNER! (No more entries, please).

THE NAIL HAS BEEN STRUCK ON THE HEAD!

It's hard for me to imagine a corporation the size of Gillette (now owned by P&G) to aggressively market a product that undercuts their multi-blade cart cash cow: That is, unless carts were suddenly not providing the revenue. Not sure what market conditions would cause that. There does seem to be some resurgence of DE razor shaving (some, or possibly even the majority, of which is marketed using the "green" approach), but it's hard to imagine DE razors displacing carts any time soon.*

*These comments are merely my opinions based on no actual in-depth market knowledge or actual market research. I could be entirely wrong.

It's hard for me to imagine a corporation the size of Gillette (now owned by P&G) to aggressively market a product that undercuts their multi-blade cart cash cow: That is, unless carts were suddenly not providing the revenue. Not sure what market conditions would cause that. There does seem to be some resurgence of DE razor shaving (some, or possibly even the majority, of which is marketed using the "green" approach), but it's hard to imagine DE razors displacing carts any time soon.*

*These comments are merely my opinions based on no actual in-depth market knowledge or actual market research. I could be entirely wrong.

I agree @StewB, so *we* could be wrong. If it does happen it won't happen overnight. And it won't begin to happen until cartridge sales drop significantly and continuously over a period of time.

The chances are they would market the premium crowd with a de, lets be honest there are a lot of us about who would consider buying it at whatever cost. If their marketing manager looks at auction sites on some of the razors,he/she would see just dollars/pounds etc signs in front of his/her eyes 😂

I agree @StewB, so *we* could be wrong. If it does happen it won't happen overnight. And it won't begin to happen until cartridge sales drop significantly and continuously over a period of time.
Agree it would take time, but todays younger generation do think far more about the planet than the older crowd.

Agree it would take time, but todays younger generation do think far more about the planet than the older crowd.
Yep, and marketing the DE as "environmentally friendly" is the best marketing move they could make. "Less plastic waste and more environmentally efficient."

This is the marketing gambit that will make them more money than they would care to believe.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I did an unscientific study a few years ago at my workplace about what everyone was shaving with.
21 guys used carts, fusion, 1 guy used dollar shave club, 6 guys used electric, 2 of us were using DE razors.

This works out to about 6%, or just about enough to keep the artesian market alive.

~doug~

I did an unscientific study a few years ago at my workplace about what everyone was shaving with.
21 guys used carts, fusion, 1 guy used dollar shave club, 6 guys used electric, 2 of us were using DE razors.

This works out to about 6%, or just about enough to keep the artesian market alive.

~doug~
Interesting! I was thinking that DE and straight razor shavers are less than 10% in cart-dominant locales (such as US).* 6% might be pretty close.

*Again: Entirely my unscientific opinion based on no market research or studies whatsoever.

Maybe Gillette could start marketing the Super Blue razor in the US. Pretty much the longest line of continuously made DE razor designs ever. The Tech.

~doug~
Wasn't sure what it was called when I bought them, but I got a couple of the Gillette Super Blue razors for under $2 each. It shaves a little milder than an actual Tech. Do the Chinese Super Blue blades shave the same as real GSB's?

Wasn't sure what it was called when I bought them, but I got a couple of the Gillette Super Blue razors for under $2 each. It shaves a little milder than an actual Tech. Do the Chinese Super Blue blades shave the same as real GSB's?

I've been in broadcasting (both TV and Radio) and selling is all about image and packaging. Properly packaged, I could sell you horse dung. (It is "fertilizerriffic" you know).

A video campaign of King Camp Gillette images, his progress as he perfects his Safety Razor, military men shaving, the 50s and 60s revisited culminating in the King C Gillette razor. "In 2023, 120 years of metallurgy testing and knowledge resulting in the finest Safety Razor on the planet!"

The advertising copy writes itself.

My $0.02 is that it would also help if the company didn't have a thinly veiled contempt for the primary purchasers and users of their products.

In my opinion.

It came to life in 1903... Forged in the mind of King Camp Gillette... the ability to renew blades without the services of a cutler. The biggest leap forward in personal grooming since the invention of the Straight Razor."

120 years later, metallurgy, chemistry and precision have re-created the best Double Edge razor on the market. 120 years back to the future... Gillette proudly presents..."

How's that for openers?

The younger generation that gets a new cellphone every year, leaves their PCs on 24/7, throws out all of those k-cups and disposes of all that Amazon packaging every day?

They like to see themselves as environmentally friendly, but they have a long way to go.

For Gillette to market themselves as green, they would need to see it as a potential boost to their bottom line first.

Sorry, but I guess I’m grumpy this morning.

Top Bottom