What's new

Can you ever imagine one of the big, old shaver companies manufacturing classic DE shavers again?

It's pretty clear to me and others on the thread that in a niche market like ours we are in the hands of the artisan makers, by which I mean either single artisans or a larger operation with a few more staff. These artisans, as we can see from ATT, Timeless, Karve etc. are not interested in reproducing "classic" models - why would they be? What they produce is clones-of-clones with a fresh angle like interesting handles, choice of bottom plates and so forth - something distinctive in terms of design or a system that enables their consumers to feel they have something "special". And of course, high quality workmanship, sand blasted or polished options etc.

What we are liable to see is other countries entering the game. China probably not - not enough volume. But it suits Russia pretty well. I've just been looking at the CTAPT DE razor system made in Omsk - very Timeless. A useful source of income for an artisan operation with access to metalworking machinery, and there should be plenty of that in Russia. Evgeny Koshelev has been making titanium handles for a while and he's based near Omsk.

I wish someone would re-produce the pre-war tech in stainless steel! That would be amazing. I have only had my tech for a little over a week, and I can already tell, it is a forever razor! Would love an all stainless version! Please Gillette!!!! Stop with the heated razors, and make me what I want!
The Feather AS-D2 is close, although it's really an all stainless replica of the POST-war Tech, not the pre-war version.

On the other hand, pre-war Techs are made of brass, which lasts forever, too. They are generally nickel-plated, but you could get it plated in rhodium if you wanted to, and it would look nicer than a stainless steel reproduction and would shave just as well if not better, too. A win-win.

Nope. Nada. Zero. No way Jose. Nein. Zilch.

Let's put it this way, we all have a better chance of seeing a UFO landing with ET's showcasing Bigfoot riding a White Rainbow Horned Unicorn down Avenue of The Americas in Manhattan. Sight to behold.....

It's pretty clear to me and others on the thread that in a niche market like ours we are in the hands of the artisan makers, by which I mean either single artisans or a larger operation with a few more staff. These artisans, as we can see from ATT, Timeless, Karve etc. are not interested in reproducing "classic" models - why would they be? What they produce is clones-of-clones with a fresh angle like interesting handles, choice of bottom plates and so forth - something distinctive in terms of design or a system that enables their consumers to feel they have something "special". And of course, high quality workmanship, sand blasted or polished options etc.

What we are liable to see is other countries entering the game. China probably not - not enough volume. But it suits Russia pretty well. I've just been looking at the CTAPT DE razor system made in Omsk - very Timeless. A useful source of income for an artisan operation with access to metalworking machinery, and there should be plenty of that in Russia. Evgeny Koshelev has been making titanium handles for a while and he's based near Omsk.

+1! The CTAPT DE is definitely interesting and ‘very Timeless.’ Great to see new folks entering the market!!

No, simple reason why make a razor that is essentially a single purchase item that can be used with any blade from rival manufacturers? Makes no economic sense, New cart handles are designed to take only their carts and it’s the carts that are the return purchase and therefore the revenue maker

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Doubt it would happen, but it wouldn't coax money from my wallet if they did.

I don't tend to buy stuff just because of the name that's written on it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I wish someone would re-produce the pre-war tech in stainless steel! That would be amazing. I have only had my tech for a little over a week, and I can already tell, it is a forever razor! Would love an all stainless version! Please Gillette!!!! Stop with the heated razors, and make me what I want!
I have both a Prewar Tech and a Game Changer .68-P in stainless steel, and IMHO they shave very similar.........
prof

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Could you imagine one of these companies making a classic DE again?
If Schwinn Bicycles could do it with their Orange Krate and Apple Krate re-productions in 1995, then, yes, one of the large companies could do the same thing.
With Schwinn, I believe it was to revitalize the market. First they told their dealers that if there was enough interest they would tool up and re-produce 20 Schwinn Orange/Apple Krate bicycles for each store. A limited re-release, starting with the last serial # Krate bicycle produced in 1972.

I know because I bought one. They took refundable deposits of $250.00 for each bicycle and in less than 6 months enough interest was generated to build the bicycles for $500.00 each.
I believe the Orange Krate bicycles originally sold for $70.00 each, only 23 years previous to 1995.
The internet was not nearly as popular in those times, it was strictly word-of-mouth, I saw an article in the local newspaper about them and rushed to the local bicycle store to find out if it was true! Oh yeah, Schwinn still makes bicycles!

If Gillette did opt to make a Classic DE again, I am sure that it would be an anniversary edition, it would cost $125.00, and be hermetically sealed to never be used.
Forget them, I will buy my DE razors from the manufacturers that have stuck around for 50 years or more, and from some of the new guys that are really trying to market a great niche product.

I do ride my Orange Krate!

prof CAM01236.jpg

If they did, they would change the blades so that you couldn't use them in standard DE razors. Patent it (worldwide) Slap an save the planet slogan on it and making sure they made a bigger margin than on carts.

If Schwinn Bicycles could do it with their Orange Krate and Apple Krate re-productions in 1995, then, yes, one of the large companies could do the same thing...

Those re-issues were made in China & Taiwan. :thumbdown

I had a Pea Picker that cost $105 in 1970.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think Gillette or Schick could bring an adjustable DE to market that would blow any preceding design away because they have the R&D on shaving in general and the $$$ to undertake such an effort. However the 100 units they'd sell to us, probably isn't going to justify the expense.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Those re-issues were made in China & Taiwan. :thumbdown

I had a Pea Picker that cost $105 in 1970.
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure of the price in 1972, my parents bought me a Senator for $30 in 1968......
Schwinn has been making bicycles in China & Taiwan for many years, I also have a 1968 Schwinn Varsity that was made in the USA.
I was actually quite surprised about the quality of the re-production bicycles, even the bolts have an S on them like the originals....

But I digress, this post is about razors.

I have not once, since i start DE shaving, given serious thought to buying a new razor. But these, man....maybe i’ll drop a hint to my fiance’ for a Christmas present. Coolest razor i’ve seen in...maybe ever!

The Feather AS-D2 is close, although it's really an all stainless replica of the POST-war Tech, not the pre-war version.

On the other hand, pre-war Techs are made of brass, which lasts forever, too. They are generally nickel-plated, but you could get it plated in rhodium if you wanted to, and it would look nicer than a stainless steel reproduction and would shave just as well if not better, too. A win-win.

Well, funny you should mention that. I just yesterday mailed off my pre-war tech to have it plated in Rhodium. I sent it to Back Roads Gold, and cannot wait to see it really shine. I also sent them my Maggard MR-11 handle along with to be plated in Rhodium as well. I know it's already stainless, but that handle with that head is the perfect combo for me, and I want them to match!! =)

Well, funny you should mention that. I just yesterday mailed off my pre-war tech to have it plated in Rhodium. I sent it to Back Roads Gold, and cannot wait to see it really shine. I also sent them my Maggard MR-11 handle along with to be plated in Rhodium as well. I know it's already stainless, but that handle with that head is the perfect combo for me, and I want them to match!! =)
That is awesome! You are going to love it.

Top Bottom