What's new

Can anyone recommend a brushless cream or gel for a Henson mild razor?

I think a thick lather might not be optimal with the Henson, and I like brushless anyway. My first shave with Cremo for the Henson razor was very good. I wonder if there are other brushless options.
Thank you, input is appreciated, other just I need to use a brush. :)

I have used several that have worked for me: Alba Botanica, Hempz shave gel, and Head Slick. These work well for me when I don't have time to lather a soap or shave cream with a brush.

Trader Joe’s Honey Mango is cheap - if you can buy it direct from TJ but I have bought it in years. Not really a masculine sent kind of neutral. Dr. Bronner’s shave cream is kind of runny and comes in different scents. Health food type stores have other options - I suggest you see if you can find something that strikes you.

Timeless bowl is a great starter bowl.

I too get great shaves with a Henson and Cremo. It comes in different scents like cooling which is great for summer. Gillette pure and pacific shave company also have good creams.

Before I ever got into creams that require brushes, I used Cremo. Then I discovered King Of Shaves!
Incredibly slick shaving gel. Only thing about it is that you have to like the smell of menthol. But it works incredibly well. I've used it with my "Winning" razor which is the same head design as the Henson and it works really well. I still use it sometimes when I travel for convenience instead of taking my whole kit. Amazon carries it and it's $10.

KOS.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I haven't seen King of Shaves ever, but it sounds like it has high ambitions! :)

I got a gigantic bottle of what turned out to be basically glycerine with blue food color from Turkey, it is really nothing else, but glycerine alone seems to do most of the trick already, so that worked, too... :applause:

The Cremo Reserve (Black Tube) line is pretty good, as far as brushless creams go. Certainly slick, and if done correct with some additional water, shouldn't clog the Henson, or other narrow blade cap razor. I like the thick copious amounts of lather that Sterling, Tabac, Soap Commander, and PDP for example make, so the Cremo doesn't see much use.

Before I ever got into creams that require brushes, I used Cremo. Then I discovered King Of Shaves!
Incredibly slick shaving gel. Only thing about it is that you have to like the smell of menthol. But it works incredibly well. I've used it with my "Winning" razor which is the same head design as the Henson and it works really well. I still use it sometimes when I travel for convenience instead of taking my whole kit. Amazon carries it and it's $10.

View attachment 1471995
As someone who has no interest in soaps and brushes I'm always on the lookout for slick canned cream/gel (the slicker the better).

I noticed they also have a sensitive version of the gel, have you tried it? Not fond of menthol, so I'm curios if it would have the same slickness.

Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave.

For some reason it doesn't get much love around here but
I get great results with or without a brush.

The problem for me is that it's to easy, it takes the fun out of a lengthy
face lathering.

It has a permanent place in my travel kit.

I'm curious why I seem to be the only one that ever recommends it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen King of Shaves ever, but it sounds like it has high ambitions! :)

I got a gigantic bottle of what turned out to be basically glycerine with blue food color from Turkey, it is really nothing else, but glycerine alone seems to do most of the trick already, so that worked, too... :applause:
King of Shaves got past the "high ambitions" point long ago, Lol!
King of Shaves has been around since 1996. Longer than Cremo by about a decade!
They're from the UK and the products are produced there. I found out about them when Wal Mart sold their products here in the USA like 20 years ago.

As someone who has no interest in soaps and brushes I'm always on the lookout for slick canned cream/gel (the slicker the better).

I noticed they also have a sensitive version of the gel, have you tried it? Not fond of menthol, so I'm curios if it would have the same slickness.
I've never tried the one for sensitive skin. I do believe that it also contains menthol.

Some have mentioned Cremo and King of Shaves. They are both excellent products. Cremo has to be used with water and tends to dry a little during the shave. You need to constantly reinvigorate it during the shave. But it delivers great results. King of Shaves a unique gel; no other gel compares in my opinion. A bit hard to find; you'll need to purchase it online.

My go-to cream is Proraso. Don't have to use a brush, just a pea size in your wet hand, and rub it into your face vigorously. Dollar for dollar, the best shave cream out there. You can spend more, but it won't work any better than Proraso. I like all of the Proraso varieties but probably like the Eucalyptus in the green tube best. 1 tube lasts a long time and just remember less is more. You don't need a giant dollop.

I use the Henson mild and have a very coarse beard. Think copper wire. The combo of Proraso and Henson provides the closest and most comfortable shaves possible. The Henson razor is a stroke of genius and completely changed my shave experience after decades of misery. No hyperbole; a dream come true. You cannot possibly go wrong with this combo.

Lastly, the Henson and Proraso reward a sharp blade. No worries about cuts or weepers. Just amazing. I use Gillette Silver Blues.

Hope this works well for everyone!

Some have mentioned Cremo and King of Shaves. They are both excellent products. Cremo has to be used with water and tends to dry a little during the shave. You need to constantly reinvigorate it during the shave. But it delivers great results. King of Shaves a unique gel; no other gel compares in my opinion. A bit hard to find; you'll need to purchase it online.

My go-to cream is Proraso. Don't have to use a brush, just a pea size in your wet hand, and rub it into your face vigorously. Dollar for dollar, the best shave cream out there. You can spend more, but it won't work any better than Proraso. I like all of the Proraso varieties but probably like the Eucalyptus in the green tube best. 1 tube lasts a long time and just remember less is more. You don't need a giant dollop.

I use the Henson mild and have a very coarse beard. Think copper wire. The combo of Proraso and Henson provides the closest and most comfortable shaves possible. The Henson razor is a stroke of genius and completely changed my shave experience after decades of misery. No hyperbole; a dream come true. You cannot possibly go wrong with this combo.

Lastly, the Henson and Proraso reward a sharp blade. No worries about cuts or weepers. Just amazing. I use Gillette Silver Blues.

Hope this works well for everyon

Hope this works well for everyone!
Thanks for this great input. I also like Gillette Silver Blues, a lot and I will try Proraso. I am not a complete newb, and I also think Henson is just on a completely different level. Even beats my Gillette Techs.

When I started with my Hensen in January, I didn’t think I’d be interested in using a brush and all the who-ha. I was wrong, I do enjoy it. But canned foam works fine too, Edge, Barbasol, etc.

The new Nivea Sensitive Pro cream (in those green plastic bottles with a pump;with Hemp oil i think) is very slick and works great without a brush.
Scent is light, leaves the skin with very little irritation. Just rub on wet face.

Top Bottom