What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Proraso Red is the best scented from the original four. From the Single Blade line, I can't pick a favorite. Maybe the cypress and vetyver, maybe the wood and spice. The azur lime is one of the best dark lime scented products I've smelled. I have not shaved with any of them yet, this is all based upon the scents from some samples. I think that all of them are easily as good, if not better, than the Red.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Proraso Red is the best scented from the original four. From the Single Blade line, I can't pick a favorite. Maybe the cypress and vetyver, maybe the wood and spice. The azur lime is one of the best dark lime scented products I've smelled. I have not shaved with any of them yet, this is all based upon the scents from some samples. I think that all of them are easily as good, if not better, than the Red.

I have wood and spice turned into a soap, but I've not used it yet. I have so many soaps and samples. All of the single blade line soaps smell good to me, but I like wood and spice the best, and bought the huge container of it, enough for a number of pucks (at least three or four). That's enough until at least 3018.

I agree Proraso Red is the best of the original, particularly in a tub I think.

Of them all I like Green the least.

Many of the happiest moments of my childhood in California were filled with the scent of eucalyptus trees, so I’m sure my reaction to the green isn’t like most peoples’. Also, eucalyptus and menthol seem made for each other.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have wood and spice turned into a soap, but I've not used it yet. I have so many soaps and samples. All of the single blade line soaps smell good to me, but I like wood and spice the best, and bought the huge container of it, enough for a number of pucks (at least three or four). That's enough until at least 3018.

I agree Proraso Red is the best of the original, particularly in a tub I think.
My favorite original is the Proraso Red and then Proraso White. The Blue is a terrific performer, but the smell takes some getting used to. I had the Green for a minute. I liked the smell right away and the amount of menthol was perfect. It reminded my wife of her father's passing. He had pneumonia and the stuff he was rubbing on the chest at the time and the green smelled to much like it for her. I removed it from my house gifting it to a coworker.

I keep coming back to Woods and Spice. I think I'll purchase it next month. I must have it. I may gift away some of my creams keeping the Proraso line:001_wub: and the TOBS. In my rotation I use one soap or cream per week. At eight or nine creams and the same number of soaps this rotation is beginning to get unmanageable. Thanks Jim, thanks a lot. :001_tt2: Enablers R Us Buy Them All.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Many of the happiest moments of my childhood in California were filled with the scent of eucalyptus trees, so I’m sure my reaction to the green isn’t like most peoples’. Also, eucalyptus and menthol seem made for each other.

I didn't grow up there, but I spent enough time in the eucalyptus trees to know exactly what you mean (I think).

I've been trialling a 10g Martin de Candre Citrus shaving soap sample. I expected it to be finished today (10 shaves completed) but there's more in my tin, so I'll continue till it's empty.
The end of the line for my MdC sample :crying::
upload_2018-4-27_1-12-35.png

That was 16 excellent shaves from the 10g+ sample. I can only say I'm impressed. :thumbup:

NUMBERS FOR THE DETAIL FREAKS:
16 shaves averaging 0.66g per shave.
Total quantity used 10.5g

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the Citrus version is a limited edition. MdC tell me that it should be released again at the end of May this year, so I may well invest in a whole tub (it's only money, huh:001_rolle).

Next shave I'll be back with my old favorite (and benchmark) soap, Proraso Red. I intend to do a week's shaves with the Red then report back with an MdC Citrus vs Proraso Red comparison. To get as true a comparison as possible my brush, razor, and blade will remain the same. Stay tuned. :wink2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The end of the line for my MdC sample :crying::
View attachment 879155

That was 16 excellent shaves from the 10g+ sample. I can only say I'm impressed. :thumbup:

NUMBERS FOR THE DETAIL FREAKS:
16 shaves averaging 0.66g per shave.
Total quantity used 10.5g

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the Citrus version is a limited edition. MdC tell me that it should be released again at the end of May this year, so I may well invest in a whole tub (it's only money, huh:001_rolle).

Next shave I'll be back with my old favorite (and benchmark) soap, Proraso Red. I intend to do a week's shaves with the Red then report back with an MdC Citrus vs Proraso Red comparison. To get as true a comparison as possible my brush, razor, and blade will remain the same. Stay tuned. :wink2:

upload_2018-4-26_21-7-44.png

Okay, you're keeping up with the numbers, too, right, on the Proraso, so what are the costs per shave for MdC and Proraso Red?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Okay, you're keeping up with the numbers, too, right, on the Proraso, so what are the costs per shave for MdC and Proraso Red?
Considering that the way I shave is continually changing (evolving) I thought it best to do these comparisons after my upcoming week with the Red (obviously I'll be collecting data as I go)... plus me using all the same tools.

If I'm not careful I'll be getting as bad as Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers. :scared: :letterk1: :laugh:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I'm not careful I'll be getting as bad as Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers. :scared: :letterk1: :laugh:

Remember...

I, like Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers am not a machine. I am however starting to think he may be a form of AI and is really a computer program thats learning and adopting all this information being gathered to be used in the future for undisclosed classified reasons lol.

If you become too accurate in your findings you may be assimilated or cloned!

Picard-borg.png

Following my delightful MdC Citrus experience I've just completed my seventh Proraso Red shave (and will be moving on to MWF next).
upload_2018-5-4_23-24-22.png

OVERVIEW:
I could happily use MdC Citrus only. It just has the edge (albeit only slightly) over my beloved Proraso Red. Both soaps have subtle scents which please my nose and which I could happily sniff ad aeternum.

As the MdC costs ~5½ times more per shave than the Proraso Red... I'll be sticking with my original love.

Performance wise I found both to be very similar. Lather making, although easy, does need dialing in for each (don't we all have our little idiosyncracies?). The main plus point I give to MdC is the way that it generates hardly any soap scum in the water compared to good ol' scumbag Proraso Red.

NUMBER CRUNCHING:
Here in the UK, MdC Citrus costs £38.50 for 200g (19.25p per gram) and Proraso Red costs £3.50 for 150g (2.33p per gram).

My average use per shave for the MdC was 0.66g (= 12.7p cost) and for the Proraso Red was 1.00g (= 2.3p cost).

MOVING ON:
My next shave will be with Mitchell's Wool Fat (completely new to me [as was MdC]). I'll report back with comparisons after seven shaves.

FOOTNOTE:
In general I find it takes me ~3 to 4 shaves to dial any soap in properly, that includes soaps that I know when changing from one to another. It can be tempting to change soaps daily (which many people do) but if I did that I'd never get the best performance (and satisfaction) out of my stuff... so a week on any soap is (currently) my minimum.
I'm wondering if my "3-to-4-shaves-dial-in" will still be the case with the notorious MWF. :laugh:

Great reads. Proraso Red is my go to, scum and all. As a bonus, the Mrs loves it too.

I just got a sample of Wood & Spice, so it’s on deck next.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Following my delightful MdC Citrus experience I've just completed my seventh Proraso Red shave (and will be moving on to MWF next).
View attachment 881185

OVERVIEW:
I could happily use MdC Citrus only. It just has the edge (albeit only slightly) over my beloved Proraso Red. Both soaps have subtle scents which please my nose and which I could happily sniff ad aeternum.

As the MdC costs ~5½ times more per shave than the Proraso Red... I'll be sticking with my original love.

Performance wise I found both to be very similar. Lather making, although easy, does need dialing in for each (don't we all have our little idiosyncracies?). The main plus point I give to MdC is the way that it generates hardly any soap scum in the water compared to good ol' scumbag Proraso Red.

NUMBER CRUNCHING:
Here in the UK, MdC Citrus costs £38.50 for 200g (19.25p per gram) and Proraso Red costs £3.50 for 150g (2.33p per gram).

My average use per shave for the MdC was 0.66g (= 12.7p cost) and for the Proraso Red was 1.00g (= 2.3p cost).

MOVING ON:
My next shave will be with Mitchell's Wool Fat (completely new to me [as was MdC]). I'll report back with comparisons after seven shaves.

FOOTNOTE:
In general I find it takes me ~3 to 4 shaves to dial any soap in properly, that includes soaps that I know when changing from one to another. It can be tempting to change soaps daily (which many people do) but if I did that I'd never get the best performance (and satisfaction) out of my stuff... so a week on any soap is (currently) my minimum.
I'm wondering if my "3-to-4-shaves-dial-in" will still be the case with the notorious MWF. :laugh:

Nice write up and comparison, Cal. Much appreciated. I want to ponder some of what you concluded for a bit. I like both the soaps you've discussed, and don't mind the extra cost of MdC. I really like that you figured out the cost per shave with these two soaps; comparing apples and apples vs entry fees which are also a legitimate concern for most guys including me but don't tell the entire tale.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom