What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
proxy.php

They make Cal-compliant handles on request. I can understand not wanting the emaciated Dahlek look, but one needn’t settle on the stock javelin handle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've trained myself to get good shaves with this sort of razor, but in my heart I'm still a lover of clamp-that-blade-rigid razors.

Try strips of tape on the inside of the cap. That might be thick enough for the cap to clamp the blade to the comb and make it a bit more predictable.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
He has to disassemble and thoroughly clean everything lest the municipal punch has his gear for lunch.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Try strips of tape on the inside of the cap. That might be thick enough for the cap to clamp the blade to the comb and make it a bit more predictable.
I have given thought to using a shim under the blade to increase the rigidity, seeing as I don't feel the teeth anyway.

I've trained myself to get good shaves with this sort of razor, but in my heart I'm still a lover of clamp-that-blade-rigid razors.
Thanks Mike. Yep, I'm sure that would work. But as I've learned to get great shaves without crutches I won't use them (unless some irresistible challenge comes up).
I have given thought to using a shim under the blade to increase the rigidity, seeing as I don't feel the teeth anyway.
In my earlier "let's alter the tool" (vs. "let's alter the user") days... I found a single (wide) shim helped the R41's rigidity significantly.

SOTD
SOTD-FM-G_2021-04-07.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: TFS Traditional Almond
Razor: Fine Marvel head on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)
ASL: Almond Splash (home brew)

A very fine shave. :biggrin:
Most enjoyable... and I think I might change things AGAIN next shave. :letterk1: :laugh:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
In my earlier "let's alter the tool" (vs. "let's alter the user") days... I found a single (wide) shim helped the R41's rigidity significantly.
I'm only 2 shaves in with my R41, and the second shave was significantly better than the first. Granted I did change the blade and handle, but that allowed me to alter my technique enough to enjoy the shave without really 'altering the tool'. :letterk1:

Reactions: Cal
I'm only 2 shaves in with my R41, and the second shave was significantly better than the first. Granted I did change the blade and handle, but that allowed me to alter my technique enough to enjoy the shave without really 'altering the tool'. :letterk1:
:001_cool: Just bear Rule 1 in mind, Doug.

. . . . Rule 1 . . . .
There are no rules. :devil:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I'd rather lessen the gap and create a shallower edge to skin angle at the same time. The R41 has a fairly steep blade angle and good blade exposure. Making it more rigid and changing the blade angle would effectively turn it into a Fatip clone. :tongue_sm

R41-FATIPAngle-Exposure.jpg

SOTD
SOTD-Y-R_2021-04-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: A&E Cannabliss Santal
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Clubman Whiskey Woods

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

The Postie brought me a few small parcels today; a book, a shaving cream, a shaving soap (just used), and a razor (just used). I've always wanted to try the YUMA razor but could never find one. At last I found one and that's the one that landed today, all the way from sunny Turkey (at incredible expense, £7.42 shipped).

YUMA YM-403
The fit and finish are as rough as a badger's tadger... but the shave was brilliant (one shave in, could it get even better than this?). (Although the fit and finish are shoddy, the blade aligns perfectly.) The whole unit, loaded, weighs in at 26.5g and the handle length is 71mm (wonderful [for me]).
The Cannabliss Santal soap and Whiskey Woods ASL mix is quite something. I'm still enjoying it now, two hours on. :letterk1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SOTD
View attachment 1248543 :001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: A&E Cannabliss Santal
Razor: Yuma YM-403
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Clubman Whiskey Woods

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

The Postie brought me a few small parcels today; a book, a shaving cream, a shaving soap (just used), and a razor (just used). I've always wanted to try the YUMA razor but could never find one. At last I found one and that's the one that landed today, all the way from sunny Turkey (at incredible expense, £7.42 shipped).

YUMA YM-403
The fit and finish are as rough as a badger's tadger... but the shave was brilliant (one shave in, could it get even better than this?). (Although the fit and finish are shoddy, the blade aligns perfectly.) The whole unit, loaded, weighs in at 26.5g and the handle length is 71mm (wonderful [for me]).
The Cannabliss Santal soap and Whiskey Woods ASL mix is quite something. I'm still enjoying it now, two hours on. :letterk1:

There are meetings for people using that soap and that splash together, but you already knew that.

Top Bottom