SOTD-WR2-G_2021-03-27.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "Worlds Finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
ASL: Clubman

A very nice shave. :biggrin:

I changed my blade again, just for the heck of it, and noticed a very pleasant change in the shave. This doesn't normally happen to me so soon. I'm wondering if it's the design of the razor (or more likely the goon that's using it) that's causing this... strange.

I added some menthol to my Clubman ASL. It gave me a nice delayed effect chill, and fortunately didn't seem to alter the scent one bit.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

SOTD
SOTD-WR2-Y_2021-03-29.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
ASL: Lilac Vegetal

Today's journey in ZenShaveLand was superb. :biggrin:

SOTD
SOTD-WR2-B_2021-03-30.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: Iced Orange (home brew)

Another super shave. :biggrin:

SOTD
SOTD-WR2-K_2021-03-31.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)
ASL: Iced Orange (home brew)

An excellent shave :biggrin: except...
(just to do the opposite of Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers,) having had a bloodless month to this point, I go and get a (quickly disappearing) red spot
on the last damned FFFMM day! :a31:

I have a few errant whiskers on my adam's apple area which are even thicker and faster growing than their buddies. On occasion they like to change their growth direction; but as they grow almost parallel to my skin (just like their neighbors) I seldom notice this "black sheep" (well, brown actually) activity.
So I hit this one at the wrong angle, boom, red spot. :facep:

That was annoying, but such is life.

Other than that I've had a great month and am definitely loving my new Wolfman head. It's now top equal favorite with my Timeless OC Slim, Worlds Finest Safety Razor, and 2020 Gillette Tech (which cost me $2.69 from AliExpress). I intend trialling a new razor, starting tomorrow, so it's anyone's guess which one will end up at the Number One position.

SOTD
S-R41-SOTD-R_2021-04-01.jpg

Soap: TFS Tabacum Crepito
Razor: Mühle stainless R41 head on custom olive wood handle

A good shave. :biggrin:

ANOTHER new razor! This time the new Mühle 316L Stainless Steel version of their R41. It's called the R41GS, GS standing for Grande Stainless. I'm just calling mine a stainless R41, as Grande refers to the handle it comes with (similar to Fatip nomenclature). I immediately changed the handle to my favorite 75mm olive wood custom job.

The Mühle stainless Grande handle is HUGE (to me anyway)... the gripping part is 14.1mm diameter (not that it's that grippy) and the length is 99mm (so it's vaulting pole length but caber thickness)! It weighs in at 78g, so obviously not solid stainless steel.
My olive wood handle weighs 13g. :001_smile
The loaded head weighs 36g.

It'll take me a few shaves to get the hang of the thing (after a solid month with the Wolfman), but it was an enjoyable shave.

AND, another new TFS soap today! Excellent. Its scent followed by the Clubman ASL was a complementary mix (and I'm still enjoying the aroma now [two hours on]).

The brush and the blade were faultless, as ever. :yesnod:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SOTD
View attachment 1245098 :001_wub:

Soap: TFS Tabacum Crepito
Razor: Mühle stainless R41 head on custom olive wood handle

A good shave. :biggrin:

ANOTHER new razor! This time the new Mühle 316L Stainless Steel version of their R41. It's called the R41GS, GS standing for Grande Stainless. I'm just calling mine a stainless R41, as Grande refers to the handle it comes with (similar to Fatip nomenclature). I immediately changed the handle to my favorite 75mm olive wood custom job.

The Mühle stainless Grande handle is HUGE (to me anyway)... the gripping part is 14.1mm diameter (not that it's that grippy) and the length is 99mm (so it's vaulting pole length but caber thickness)! It weighs in at 78g, so obviously not solid stainless steel.
My olive wood handle weighs 13g. :001_smile
The loaded head weighs 36g.

It'll take me a few shaves to get the hang of the thing (after a solid month with the Wolfman), but it was an enjoyable shave.

AND, another new TFS soap today! Excellent. Its scent followed by the Clubman ASL was a complementary mix (and I'm still enjoying the aroma now [two hours on]).

The brush and the blade were faultless, as ever. :yesnod:

You are accumulating some very interesting razors, Cal.

I wish the R41 Grande's handle weren't so long, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just had my introduction to the vaunted Mühle Rose Gold R41 last night, coming away summarily impressed. I'm pretty sure it will take me a few shaves to get it under control. Would you put the Stainless version in the same category, Cal @Cal?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Mine is pretty straight, Mike.
20210402_161419[1].jpg

This is the indicator set-up that I used to measure the variances.
20210402_160239[1].jpg

The readings were fairly consistent around .002", which is pretty darn good for an investment casting. We machined a lot of investment castings at work, and probably threw 10% of them away because of flaws. I must have gotten a good one.
20210402_160310[1].jpg

Each mark on the indicator is .0005". I checked both sides and got the same readings.
20210402_160344[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 1245651
View attachment 1245652
The readings were fairly consistent around .002", which is pretty darn good for an investment casting. We machined a lot of investment castings at work, and probably threw 10% of them away because of flaws. I must have gotten a good one.
View attachment 1245654
Each mark on the indicator is .0005". I checked both sides and got the same readings.
View attachment 1245653

proxy.php

I'm impressed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 1245651
View attachment 1245652
View attachment 1245654
View attachment 1245653

Thanks Doug, thats exactly what I wanted to see and know.

.002" is pretty good, not sure I could complain about that. What I notice in your first pic though is that the blade doesnt contact... well, it doesnt seem to contact any teeth and falls well short of both outside teeth. If the cap clamped the blade, even the edge of the blade, to the teeth I'd be more inclined to try one. As it is I think I'll pass.

I just had my introduction to the vaunted Mühle Rose Gold R41 last night, coming away summarily impressed. I'm pretty sure it will take me a few shaves to get it under control. Would you put the Stainless version in the same category, Cal @Cal?
I say the stainless R41 head is THE BEST to date (of 2013 style R41s that is).
The stainless R41 handle (wider and 12mm longer than your Rose Gold one) is a HUGE ABOMINATION (IMO of course). :biggrin:
Is it straighter than this?
I think Cal’s CNC stainless R41 might have even less variance.
Yep, nice and straight:
S-R41-face-on_2021-04-03.jpg

If the cap clamped the blade, even the edge of the blade, to the teeth I'd be more inclined to try one. As it is I think I'll pass.
What I do particularly like about the stainless R41 is that the outer parts are very nicely polished:
S-R41-polished_2021-04-03.jpg

but all "blade touching" surfaces are left machined (by the RazoRock bible) for blade locating accuracy*:
S-R41-machined_2021-04-03.jpg

NOTE: This goes for the locating pins too. It's only their ends that have been polished (as they are seen on the outside).

* Unlike the Worlds Finest Safety Razor, Timeless, and Wolfman.

The stainless R41 blade gap is ~0.1mm. I too would like it if the blade sat on the teeth. But like most Mühles and EJs the blade sits back on the "rails" and therefore has a large clamping distance. :001_rolle

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The stainless R41 blade gap is ~0.1mm. I too would like it if the blade sat on the teeth.
The gap in my investment cast R41 is about the same. A .04mm feeler gauge will pass right through the teeth in the center, but a .1mm gauge won't make it past the outside teeth. But as I noted when I shaved with mine I did not even feel the teeth. All I felt was the blade.

SOTD
S-R41-SOTD-G_2021-04-06.jpg

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49 (56)
Soap: TFS Tabacum Crepito (3)
Razor: Mühle stainless R41 head on custom olive wood handle (3)
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: Clubman VIBR (21 and menthol added)

Another good shave. :biggrin:

BUT... three shaves in and I'm getting bored with the stainless R41. The only reason I got the stainless steel version was for its manufacturing accuracy. (Like an old [favorite] boss of mine used to say: "If it's spot on it'll be rough enough.") Sure, it's better than the original (2013) Zamac version but it still retains the typical Mühle/EJ (way too big for my preference) clamp distance.

I've trained myself to get good shaves with this sort of razor, but in my heart I'm still a lover of clamp-that-blade-rigid razors.

Ah well, like anything else, being a pedantic git has its plus and minus points. :001_rolle :letterk1: :laugh:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It sounds like you need a Tatara Masamune Nodachi. Whether for the rigid blade holding or so I can enjoy it vicariously remains to be seen.

Top Bottom