What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Cal, I'm entirely unclear about the design of your current training program. What's the plan?
Well, what was my previous (and continually revised/updated) plan went out the window when I received my Fine Slant.
Personally I don't see much benefit if any in switching razors. That's assuming you have and are already skilled with one good razor, a razor which has for you the right balance of efficiency and smoothness or comfort, both coupled with consistency.
I'm happy with my RazoRock BBS progress, but indeed continual switching didn't help that progress. Also more training is required to get it down better... later.
During Slantember I guess I'll use all five of my slants once, but I knew going into it that all I needed was the one. The one being the FOCS. You almost sucked me in to considering the Fine slant, Cal. I did a little homework and discovered it's very light in weight which might be a downside for me. It also looks to have considerable gap. Although I can shave with a big gap razor I prefer very tiny gaps. Also, a hundred bucks for a razor I might like and might not like is beyond me right now.
I agree the FOCS is great, and being a Fatip it has the best designed (open comb) teeth on the planet (IMO). When I saw a pic of the Fine Slant it was love at first sight. Reading the information on it only increased my desire. I like both head heavy (and handle light) razors and completely light razors (e.g. the PBOCS [16g]).

You may remember "The Coach." I don't mind "considerable" gaps. :wink2:

I definitely understand about the price... but consider that the Fine is sold as a complete three piece mirror polished razor. If you purchased a Wolfman mirror polished head only (i.e. cap and baseplate but no handle) it would set you back $450.
Then, too, there's the straight bar issue. I like open comb better. Particularly the super smooth open combs on some razors such as the FOCS.
I love (Fatip only) OCs, but I get along fine with straight bars too.
Far be it for me to criticize anything BOSC, but what's the plan?
The plan? You know what it's like when you fall in love. Suddenly the whole world looks, feels, tastes, sounds, and smells different... and you start doing things you've never done before.

So, as I'm in the initial phase it's looking like the Fine Slant forever. :laugh: :letterk1:
My hypothesis is testable and falsifiable: Jumping around from razor to razor retards rather than improves technique and overall shaving satisfaction. Better to stick with kit and learn it. Then, switch to other kit and learn it. Kit means razors and blades here.
:thumbsup: Indeed.
Really mostly just don't get the plan, Cal.
Hopefully the above explains the current plan, Jim. :001_unsur

As explained above, my new training plan is to use the Fine Slant forever, Fine L'Orange Noir shaving soap and ASL for a good while, and brushes as I see fit. :biggrin:

SOTD
SOTD-FS-R_2020-09-16.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
ASL: Fine L'Orange Noir

Another very "fine" shave! :cornut:

Shave number three with the Fine Slant. I'm definitely loving it even more with each shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As explained above, my new training plan is to use the Fine Slant forever, Fine L'Orange Noir shaving soap and ASL for a good while, and brushes as I see fit. :biggrin:

Sounds like true love, Cal.

In a way I'm fine with a ton of gap, too. I can use straights which have infinite gap (of sorts). I can use my fully open adjustable Schick injectors which have a gap of about half an inch which might as well be infinite. I can use an iKon Tech. My guess is I can shave with any razor giving a smidgeon of instruction on how to use and probably without instruction. However, I do better - and here I'm thinking of DE razors - with a tiny gap and a tiny guard span and a ton of blade rigidity.

The Fine slant is certainly a nice looking razor. It's also a slant, but, in my view, is a great DE design. It looks to be expertly machined (or whatever) and designed. I like how it looks. As I said, I was tempted.

I have nothing against straight bar razors, but have found open comb to generally work better for me. I have nothing either against $100 razors. I'd buy a $100 SS FOCS I think, but then I'd already know what I was getting for the most part.

Thanks, Cal, for addressing my questions. I have one more: What are the advantages for you of the Fine slant over the FOCS. Functional advantages.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Thanks, Cal.

Advantages in the shave itself? The Fine is more efficient or more comfortable to use or in its post shave comfort?

Good little chart, Cal. I have no idea how to make something like that, but it looks like quite the accomplishment. Very clear information.

A handle shorter than that of the FOCS would be a disadvantage as I see it. YMMV, right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Advantages in the shave itself?
I don't know what you mean, Jim. Would you give me an example please?
The Fine is more efficient or more comfortable to use or in its post shave comfort?
I find it more efficient and just a tad more comfortable than the FOCS.

What is this "post-shave comfort?" :001_unsur The only post-shave "discomfort" I can think of is when I've used an aftershave that's dried my skin, or that I've hated the smell of.
Good little chart, Cal. I have no idea how to make something like that, but it looks like quite the accomplishment. Very clear information.
Thank you. :biggrin:
I just make a table in MSWord, capture it, and paste it onto my post. I know you're an Apple man, but I'm sure they must have similar (and I would suspect better and easier) stuff.
A handle shorter than that of the FOCS would be a disadvantage as I see it. YMMV, right.
:laugh: Correct, MMDV.

SOTD
SOTD-FS-G_2020-09-17.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)

And yet another very "fine" shave! :cornut:

Shave number four with the Fine Slant. Have I found my "grail" DE razor? :001_tt1: :001_wub: :letterk1:

SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-09-18.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)

A really great shave! :cornut:

I can only say I'm enjoying every single piece of this kit. At some point in my life I must've been good. :letterk1:

SOTD
SOTD-FS-B_2020-09-19.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another super shave! :cornut:

Today I received my first bottle of Snake Bite. I just love the label. I took Mr Fine's advice and "applied sparingly." Maybe too sparingly because (burns like the devil) it didn't burn at all. "Freezes like the Rockies"... it was certainly very cool and stayed that way for a good ten minutes (an unaccustomed, but pleasant feeling).
"... and cures all that ails you"... should I rub it on my lottery ticket? :letterk1:

Thankfully the menthol scent disappeared along with the cool sensation, so all I can smell now is L'Orange Noir very faintly from the shaving soap.
Next shave I'll use double the "sparing" amount I used today and see what happens. Hopefully :bayrum2: and :velva2:.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD
View attachment 1157292 :001_wub:

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another super shave! :cornut:

Today I received my first bottle of Snake Bite. I just love the label. I took Mr Fine's advice and "applied sparingly." Maybe too sparingly because (burns like the devil) it didn't burn at all. "Freezes like the Rockies"... it was certainly very cool and stayed that way for a good ten minutes (an unaccustomed, but pleasant feeling).
"... and cures all that ails you"... should I rub it on my lottery ticket? :letterk1:

Thankfully the menthol scent disappeared along with the cool sensation, so all I can smell now is L'Orange Noir very faintly from the shaving soap.
Next shave I'll use double the "sparing" amount I used today and see what happens. Hopefully :bayrum2: and :velva2:.
93353781_3648660591875354_6981414492915630080_o.jpg

Top Bottom